Sign in with
Your question

OC from 2.8 to 4.0 and still Quiet

Last response: in Overclocking
June 15, 2011 6:36:04 AM

I have a stock 1050t HSF and I'm sick and tired of the noise. Also, it would be nice to overclock, but my biggest issue is noise.

Are there any good Fanless HSF that aren't GINORMOUS or even quiet zero-maintanece liquid coolers out there (i've heard noise complaints about the corsiar H70 and 60.)

The HSF doesnt even have to be fanless just quite and effective. My case is a Lian Li armoursuit.

More about : quiet

a c 288 K Overclocking
June 15, 2011 4:09:34 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- What budget do you have?
2- What exactly Lian Li model do you have?
m
l
June 15, 2011 5:54:02 PM

That case is big, why are you giving a size restriction for the cpu cooler?

Thermalright HR-02 isn't too huge, but I don't know if it can to 4ghz.
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 15, 2011 9:33:18 PM

I used to use a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and it is surprisingly quiet and effective.
m
l
June 15, 2011 11:00:15 PM

the model for my case is p50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my budget is $100 or less.

I was thinking of getting a H60 and replacing the fan with a 140mm or 120mm low decible, low rpm fan with equal or near equal CFM as the stock. I'm not trying to overcrowd cuz i'm unfamiliar with cable management and i dont want anything getting tangled in the Fan or having it possibly touch the outside of my case.

I"m not interested an any HSF that cools really good but is just as loud as my stock HSF, it defeats the purpose of my search.
m
l
June 16, 2011 4:38:51 AM

Nice case, dude. Sexy.

Anyway, Thermalright Archon is very good and decently quiet. Usually for quiet coolers I suggest a cheaper 120mm tower cooler and buy a fan of your choice. However, 4ghz is quite extreme for your cpu, and a higher end cooler is likely required unless you have a very lucky overclockable chip. So, my vote is for the archon because it comes with a quietish fan and is very good at taking away heat and your high budget. But there are lots of choice, and the archon is far from the only good choice.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 4:00:28 PM

Don't bother with lame liquid cooling systems, the solution to all your problems is the Noctua NH-D14, and why is that?

1- It fits in your case.
2- It fits your budget (it's on sale on Newegg now for $74.99- buy it soon before the offer ends)
3- It's fans are among the quietest there is and it includes an ultra low noise adapter to make them impossible to hear unless you are 1 cm away from them.
4- It is the best CPU air cooler on the market.
5- It will allow you to overclock to 4GHz but still be very quiet, it can even go higher than 4GHz still remaining quiet.
6- It has very long life fans, and thermal paste included must be applied by the tiny half a pea sized drop method, so you can reuse it for many different PCs.
7- If you read reviews, articles (on this website too), and watch YouTube videos, you will find that it doesn't disappoint anyone and is an example of an excellent product.
8- It is better than the Corsair H70 and all maintenance free all-in-one liquid cooling systems.
9- The thermal paste included is better than AS5 and is non-conductive.
10- I can go on forever, you can read the reviews, or research but no need, I can assure you that you will not find any cooler that is quieter, and cools this well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
June 16, 2011 7:39:48 PM

ive had very good luck with the Corsair A-70. it comes with 2 fans, but they are very very quiet, much more quiet than the Phenom II stock HSF... I picked mine up for ~$25, and was able to OC my 965BE too 4.0ghz no problem. i coulda gone higher but i didnt want to jack the voltage up that high.....
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2011 6:37:08 AM

But nothing is quieter than the D14, and we're talking quiet at 4GHz+
m
l
June 17, 2011 6:41:22 AM

Quote:
Don't bother with lame liquid cooling systems, the solution to all your problems is the Noctua NH-D14, and why is that?

1- It fits in your case.
2- It fits your budget (it's on sale on Newegg now for $74.99- buy it soon before the offer ends)
3- It's fans are among the quietest there is and it includes an ultra low noise adapter to make them impossible to hear unless you are 1 cm away from them.
4- It is the best CPU air cooler on the market.
5- It will allow you to overclock to 4GHz but still be very quiet, it can even go higher than 4GHz still remaining quiet.
6- It has very long life fans, and thermal paste included must be applied by the tiny half a pea sized drop method, so you can reuse it for many different PCs.
7- If you read reviews, articles (on this website too), and watch YouTube videos, you will find that it doesn't disappoint anyone and is an example of an excellent product.
8- It is better than the Corsair H70 and all maintenance free all-in-one liquid cooling systems.
9- The thermal paste included is better than AS5 and is non-conductive.
10- I can go on forever, you can read the reviews, or research but no need, I can assure you that you will not find any cooler that is quieter, and cools this well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/coole...

Thermalright Silver Arrow is superior to NH-D14. Noise and cooling power. Not by much, but in no aspect is number your 4 true.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2011 7:26:36 AM

sparkle_ftw said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/coole...

Thermalright Silver Arrow is superior to NH-D14. Noise and cooling power. Not by much, but in no aspect is number your 4 true.

Firstly, I've seen the test that you linked before, that's only the noise of the 140mm fan, but on average, they are the same, and the Noctua includes ultra low noise adapters, with them it's much quieter, take a look at the comparison below, it really isn't worth the argument, he can get what ever he wants, but I think that the D-14 is probably better with the noise adapters.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/therma...

This is a mega fair test, fairer than the xbit test, read his strategy for making sure its fair

The difference is not worth the argument.

As for number 4, I'm speaking generally, and generally it is true.
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:32:59 AM

In every benchmark I have seen in last few months, the Silver Arrow was on top. But they were not a versus of the two, infact usually it was a review of some other heatsink product and the double tower monsters were just part of the charts.

From what I have read, the thermalright fans have the same dba as noctua but push more air.

An observation I made was that the silver arrow has more fins, and in a more dense stack. So it stands to reason the noctua wins in an ultra low rpm/dba test while thermalright will pass up and increase its lead as rpm increases.

Any should satisfy. Archon if you can't fit the other two.
m
l
June 25, 2011 1:46:27 AM

Once again I don't want to put a hemi in my computer. D14 are huge
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:08:30 PM

The Silver Arrow is a little cheaper than the d14 (at least it is over here....) but I'ev heard that the d14 is better also excluding temps. Like mounting, size, ram clearance. My question is: is it worth the 30 euro jump from A70/Scythe Mugen 2?
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 5:06:49 PM

The D14 includes Ultra Low Noise Adapters, which will bring it down to a very low rpm with only a few degress temp increase.
m
l
!