CPU: AMD 940 BE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790X
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
GPU: XFX Ati HD 4870 1GB
CASE: Antec 300
PSU: Corsair 650TX
HDD: Western Digital 160GB
OD: LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW

I would appriciate if you guys answered these questions( I live in UK by the way)

1)I will probobly be overlocking my CPU so can you guys recommend me a good aircooling system

2) I was thinking about getting a new monitor, but I recently found out that your GPU affects what monitor you should get, so can you guys recommend me a decent gaming monitor between 21.5"-22" that will be a good match with my video card and possibly with a better video card that I might get in the future

3) I was thinking about buying a 650W or 750W PSU, I will be overlocking and I plant on getting a better video card in the future, so do you think that 650W will be enough for my future plans

4) About the case, I was wondering are the 3(I think) fans included in the case, and you know the blue LED's around the fans, are those also included as well.

5)I would also like to hear your comments on this built, thanks
June 20, 2009 1:21:28 PM

1) Not sure on good cooler for that CPU, but I want to verify, that's the 940 BE Phenom II right?

2) Any monitor in that size range with 5ms response or less will be just fine with that card.

3) 650 is fine for a single card system.

4) Case comes with the 120mm rear exhaust, and a 140mm top exhaust, I would recommend buying 1 or 2 front intake fans 120mm size. As far as I know there are no LED lights on the two included fans.

5) The build itself looks good, but depending on cost and availability you may want to choose an AM3 board that uses DDR3 memory, as this will provide overall faster speeds in the long run.
June 20, 2009 2:00:07 PM

pous said:
1) Not sure on good cooler for that CPU, but I want to verify, that's the 940 BE Phenom II right?

2) Any monitor in that size range with 5ms response or less will be just fine with that card.

3) 650 is fine for a single card system.

4) Case comes with the 120mm rear exhaust, and a 140mm top exhaust, I would recommend buying 1 or 2 front intake fans 120mm size. As far as I know there are no LED lights on the two included fans.

5) The build itself looks good, but depending on cost and availability you may want to choose an AM3 board that uses DDR3 memory, as this will provide overall faster speeds in the long run.

Thanks for the reply,

1) Yes, its AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

4)I might buy 3 of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG... 2 for the front and 1 for the side. If I get 3 of these will I still need a heatsinik for my CPU if I overlock?

5) The 940 is AM2+ and getting the 945(AM3) plus AM3-DDR3 board and DDR3 instead of DDR2 is going a bit over my budget.
Related resources
June 20, 2009 2:50:36 PM

4) It all depends on how much you want to over clock it, you'll be able to do so to a certain extent with the standard cooling unit, but keep an eye on temperatures via a program like CoreTemp or something similar. If it is idle and load too high then maybe consider backing off the clock speed until you get a third party cooler.

5) No big deal, staying in budget is important, and it's not like the ddr2 memory is bad, it's just not the newest and shiniest thing out there.

Overall it looks like you've got a great system picked out. It'd be nice if someone else could post ideas/options for a third party cooler though.
June 20, 2009 3:36:02 PM

pous said:
4) It all depends on how much you want to over clock it, you'll be able to do so to a certain extent with the standard cooling unit, but keep an eye on temperatures via a program like CoreTemp or something similar. If it is idle and load too high then maybe consider backing off the clock speed until you get a third party cooler.

5) No big deal, staying in budget is important, and it's not like the ddr2 memory is bad, it's just not the newest and shiniest thing out there.

Overall it looks like you've got a great system picked out. It'd be nice if someone else could post ideas/options for a third party cooler though.

OK, I'm all set than just need to get a good monitor at my local store and get a decent 3rd party cooler.
June 20, 2009 7:14:53 PM

thanks tecmo34,

Two questions

1) Will the CPU cooler tecmo34 recommended fit my Antec 300
edit: also I could not find that cooler on any UK website, but is this the same one tecmo34 recommended http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xigmatek-Dark-Knight-S12...

2) I might crossfire my 4870, so will 650W be enough for crossfire + overlocked CPU
June 20, 2009 9:15:39 PM

thanks alot for that

i guess Ill just get the 750W altough its going over my budget a but
June 20, 2009 9:24:46 PM
June 20, 2009 9:45:58 PM

Looks good! I'm sure you'll enjoy this very much!
June 20, 2009 10:22:37 PM

Yes =) especially that the computer I have now is like 6 years old
(singel core 1.5ghz, 768mb ram) very sad I know =)

edit: quick question

1)I might get another 4870 so, with the monitor I chose(LG 22" 1920x1080), will that monitor be able to handle and unleash the FULL power of 2 4870's

2) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

3) And heres the problem, I was planning on letting my local computer shop order the parts and built the computer for me, but I kinda wanna do it my self but the problem is I dont know how to put everything together and Im afraid Im gonna break something and mess up, so you think with reading some guides online and watching some youtube videos I'll be able to successfuly order the parts my self and put everything together?

4) Do you recommend a good website I can get my parts from and I live in UK 30miles north of nottingham if that makes any differance.

Thanks a lot =)
June 21, 2009 7:06:40 AM

Search for a price comparison website in the UK, normally it's always the same 2 or 3 shops that are cheap, you can then order everything from there and safe money.

I think you can manage to build the Pc on your own and you will learn a lot.
The next time you have a Pc problem you will be able to repair it on your own.
June 21, 2009 8:02:18 AM

thanks I think I will give it a try and if something doesnt work out I can always ask for help online and if that wont help I can just give it to my local computer shop.=)

1)I might get another 4870 so, with the monitor I chose(LG 22" 1920x1080), will that monitor be able to handle and unleash the FULL power of 2 4870's

2) and I heard only some games benefit from crossfire/SLI, wats that all about?

3) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

June 21, 2009 5:17:24 PM

bumb......^
June 21, 2009 5:23:29 PM

^ probably best to not get a second 4870 since the Dx11 cards will be out soon and then that £100 will have been wasted.
June 21, 2009 5:28:52 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ probably best to not get a second 4870 since the Dx11 cards will be out soon and then that £100 will have been wasted.

OK, but should I stick with my MOBO and keep my crossfire option open just in case? and will my monitor be able to handle crossfire/SLI

and quick questions what the differance between the 1gb 4870 and 1gb 4870 XXX
a b À AMD
June 21, 2009 6:10:10 PM

The xxx version is most likely a factory OC version of the card. Compare the cards clock settings, you should see a difference
June 21, 2009 6:35:56 PM

tecmo34 said:
The xxx version is most likely a factory OC version of the card. Compare the cards clock settings, you should see a difference

yep your right XXX is OC'd

and couple more questions

2) and I heard only some games benefit from crossfire/SLI, wats that all about?

3) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

edit: IS this monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001NEI7M0/cia... and this GPU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... a good match (I will be planning on getting a better video card in future and possibly crossfiring)
a b À AMD
June 21, 2009 7:24:15 PM

Pretty much all new games will benefit from Crossfire/SLI. You will run into more issues on older games. With that said, some games benefit more using Crossfire vs SLI & the other way around.

I would get the 64-bit system, so you can get full benefit of your memory.

Your monitor & GPU will work fine together.
June 21, 2009 7:35:50 PM

Thanks Im all set now and ordering parts next week

I got a bit of a problem though I got no idea how to put those parts together, so I got 2 options I could order the parts myself and pay my local computer shop to put them together, but I kinda wanna put the computer together my self so here comes my second option, you think after reading some guides on the internet and maybe watching some videos on youtube I could successufuly put the computer together my self, and do you know any good guides out there that could possibly help me including video guides.
June 22, 2009 4:00:19 AM

Yes you should be able to. Its not too hard. You got your case.. put in your PSU.. then I like to put in my drives then I will put in the motherboard. From there, I will install everything on the motherboard and wire everything up. Your motherboard will have a manual.
June 22, 2009 7:28:54 AM

sanders4617 said:
Yes you should be able to. Its not too hard. You got your case.. put in your PSU.. then I like to put in my drives then I will put in the motherboard. From there, I will install everything on the motherboard and wire everything up. Your motherboard will have a manual.

Thanks Im more confident doing it now just one questions what do you mean when you say my motherboard has a manyak?
a b À AMD
June 22, 2009 10:21:43 AM

He said your motherboard has a manual, which shows you how to hook everything up to your motherboard. Plus, most good motherboard makers give you a "Quick Setup" diagram on where everything goes on your motherboard.

I would recommend installing your memory, CPU, & CPU cooler outside of the case first. It is much easier installing them that way.

I would just Google "How to build a PC Step by Step" and you'll find plenty of sites that go into detail on how to setup a PC.

Good Luck!!
June 22, 2009 2:54:52 PM

tecmo34 said:
He said your motherboard has a manual, which shows you how to hook everything up to your motherboard. Plus, most good motherboard makers give you a "Quick Setup" diagram on where everything goes on your motherboard.

I would recommend installing your memory, CPU, & CPU cooler outside of the case first. It is much easier installing them that way.

I would just Google "How to build a PC Step by Step" and you'll find plenty of sites that go into detail on how to setup a PC.

Good Luck!!

OK thanks, lol I dont know how I didnt get the manual thing, I guess I was too excited.

One quic questions I know that my motheboard supports Crossfire, I just wanna know if it supports SLI as well?
a b À AMD
June 22, 2009 3:04:38 PM

As of now only Core i7 MOBO support both Crossfire & SLI, so no it doesn't support SLI
June 22, 2009 3:28:58 PM

tecmo34 said:
As of now only Core i7 MOBO support both Crossfire & SLI, so no it doesn't support SLI

Ok thanks Im a ATI fan anyway

another question, I know that some componets come with CD's or drives or whatever its called, Im not sure what are these and what to do with them once I get my parts
a b À AMD
June 22, 2009 3:59:42 PM

The CD's / Drivers that come with your components is the programming required to utilize | run the component. It is VERY IMPORTANT you install these or your computer won't run properly!!

You do have two options with this....

1.) Install from CD / DVD

2.) Install drivers from the Internet (Recommended if you have high speed access to ensure you have the current drivers... some CD's are not the current drivers). All you have to do is right click on the My Computer icon, click on Hardware than Device Manager (XP) or just Device Manager (Vista|Windows 7) and check for any showing an "!" icon. On all the items with an "!" icon, right mouse click the item and select update driver. From there... just follow the on-screen prompts.
June 22, 2009 4:46:51 PM

tecmo34 said:
The CD's / Drivers that come with your components is the programming required to utilize | run the component. It is VERY IMPORTANT you install these or your computer won't run properly!!

2.) Install drivers from the Internet (Recommended if you have high speed access to ensure you have the current drivers... some CD's are not the current drivers). All you have to do is right click on the My Computer icon, click on Hardware than Device Manager (XP) or just Device Manager (Vista|Windows 7) and check for any showing an "!" icon. On all the items with an "!" icon, right mouse click the item and select update driver. From there... just follow the on-screen prompts.

edit: one more questions I notices some of the parts I want are out of stock on overclockers.co.uk , so do you know how long it takes for them to get more of those parts because Im planning on ordering my parts in the 1st week of july

Ok and do I install those CD/DVD after I put my computer together and boot it, and do I install windows before or after I install my drivers.
June 22, 2009 5:01:34 PM

klasher whats your budget + how much did the setup come to ? I'm from UK also + going to be ordering a new setup similar to yours this week, we could have a lil chat :p 
June 22, 2009 5:09:27 PM

kronik2k said:
klasher whats your budget + how much did the setup come to ? I'm from UK also + going to be ordering a new setup similar to yours this week, we could have a lil chat :p 

Hello there, all the parts come to about 600 pounds which is my limit Im also getting L 22"monitor which is not included in my budget.
What website are you ordering from cause from my resarch overclockers has the best prices but some parts are out of stock. I live 20miles north of nottingham by the wat =)
June 22, 2009 7:03:19 PM

..bumb ^^
June 22, 2009 7:58:59 PM

tecmo34 said:

one more questions I notices some of the parts I want are out of stock on overclockers.co.uk , so do you know how long it takes for them to get more of those parts because Im planning on ordering my parts in the 1st week of july

Ok and do I install those CD/DVD after I put my computer together and boot it, and do I install windows before or after I install my drivers.

just order my Antec 300 is coming this Wendsday =)
June 22, 2009 8:15:24 PM

K1ash3r said:
Hello there, all the parts come to about 600 pounds which is my limit Im also getting L 22"monitor which is not included in my budget.
What website are you ordering from cause from my resarch overclockers has the best prices but some parts are out of stock. I live 20miles north of nottingham by the wat =)

haha no way i live in nottingham ! maybe we can do some gaming when u get ur setup sorted...

£600 is nice i might just buy the same parts as you lol... got a £700 budget i've looked around and overclockers is pretty cheap but i saw a few cheap 940 BE processors on ebay for like £30-40 cheaper

I ve only built one pc myself but if u need help just ask
June 22, 2009 8:20:02 PM

EDIT: that mobo only supports 1.8v ram so check ur ram, i looked at ur ram i dont think it was 1.8v but ill check in a min

EDIT: nope i dont know when they ll be restocked either :( 

EDIT: yeah i think ima buy a AM3 mobo and go ddr3 instead for some unknown reason lol

this one >> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

Anyone know if ill get more performance out of a phenom II with an AM3 over an AM2 ?
a b À AMD
June 22, 2009 8:42:02 PM

K1ash3r said:
one more questions I notices some of the parts I want are out of stock on overclockers.co.uk , so do you know how long it takes for them to get more of those parts because Im planning on ordering my parts in the 1st week of july
I would say within a week or two if their popular items. You should be safe... You might be able to contact their Customer Service and see what they can tell you.

K1ash3r said:
You put your computer together, install your windows first, than your drivers....
a b À AMD
June 22, 2009 8:46:12 PM

kronik2k said:
EDIT: yeah i think ima buy a AM3 mobo and go ddr3 instead for some unknown reason lol

this one >> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

Anyone know if ill get more performance out of a phenom II with an AM3 over an AM2 ?
With the AM3 you'll see a slight improvement with DDR3. You see the biggest jump with the Core i7 CPU's. However, the board you picked looks really nice and I would recommend it if fits into your budget with DDR3 memory. A good DDR3 memory is OCZ Platinum AMD Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel (OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK)
June 22, 2009 8:56:32 PM

yea my original budget was 400 pounds when I told my dad its gonna be 600 pounds he was like WTF!! but than he agreed and I dont think I can go a pound more
I never realy bought from ebay and I rather have new parts
I might need some help cause this is the first computer im putting together
Your right my RAM is 2.1V I think... CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ME RAM THAT WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH MY MOBO (1.8V)
quck questions does the MOBO you picked support Crossfire?

when you decided on your parts and you provide me your list cause I wanna take a look =]

Thanks for the asnwers to my questions tecmo34

edit: quick questions ,kronik, what monitor do you have or which one are you getting?
June 22, 2009 9:21:50 PM

my build comes to £591.99 would be perfect for u :) 

you can get new parts from ebay, as long as its from a trusted shop :p 

as for your ram, just look on overclockers for a ram within the 1.8v range

yeah my mobo supports crossfire gonna be slamming another GPU card in soon, as you are :p 

well i got a few crappy monitors i got a 22inch lcd thats my tv tho but may use as pc screen, also got a 15 inch LCD pc screen lawl, and a few old CRT's, but probably buy a new monitor and make due with the 15inch or the 22inch.

lemme just slam my list of parts up....

MOBO: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB... £136.99
PROCESSOR: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP... £181.99
RAM: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY... £54.99 (went with tecmo34's recommended ram due to the fact that they're am3 specific)
GPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... £115.99
HARDDRIVE: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD... £29.99
DISKDRIVE:http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD... £20.99
CASE: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA... £44.99
PSU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA... £83.99
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/message.php?config=...

Total £669.92

Just over budget lol thats a good price though I'd say, most phenom II's on ebay have the worst motherboards etc for around same price...

Plus with that motherboard its more future proof than your other one, DDR3 + AM3 etc
June 22, 2009 9:56:29 PM

Looks good
Im probobly not gonna upgrade my CPU for a while so thats one reason why i didnt go for the AM3 mobo abart that its over my budget.

Looks like everythings the same except MOBO and RAM =)

Are you getting any 120mm fans for your case? and also are you planning on overclocking and if you do are you planning on getting a CPU cooler
and any particular reason why you chose the Samsung drive over the LG drive =)

Although when I think about it I guess I could go for the AMD3/DDR3 board and just get the 120mm fans and CPU cooler later. I might actully do that just ned to think abou it but it sounds like a good idea. =)

edit: I remember someone saying that DX11 cards will be coming out soon so I might just get a DX11 card in future and crossfire that, i dun know
June 22, 2009 10:08:32 PM

Yeah done a lil bit of overclocking before so ill need the heatsink + fans, I linked wrong processor too Im gonna go with the 945 or 955, they're AM3.

Cuz of lightscribe with the CD drives, lightscribe u can print a cd label on the top of the cd from the drive somehow, need to try it lol.

Don't really know about the new DX11 gfx cards, but i know that our setups will be able to play the DX11 games for a year or 2 lol !
June 23, 2009 7:06:55 AM

what CPU cooler are you getting, and what about the 120mm fans are you gettin any cause I was planning on getting 3 of them with blue LED's, 2 in front 1 in side

edit: quick questions what the differance between this Mobo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB... and the one you are getting
June 23, 2009 11:56:35 AM

Dont know what cooler yet + fans, never bought em before, ill probably have a look round and see if i need em as ive overclocked before and temp was never too high, deffo getting a heatsink though.

I think that mobo u suggested is one of those "support for AM3" boards while the one i got is AM3 only.

a b À AMD
June 23, 2009 12:41:32 PM

Both boards are AM3 only boards... the difference is kronik2k's board is Quad Crossfire (@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 link) and K1ash3r' board is Dual Crossfire only (x16 / x8).
June 23, 2009 12:49:41 PM

o0o0o ty for help

tecmo you think my build is ready to buy ?
June 23, 2009 2:53:14 PM

tecmo34 said:
Both boards are AM3 only boards... the difference is kronik2k's board is Quad Crossfire (@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 link) and K1ash3r' board is Dual Crossfire only (x16 / x8).

tecom34, sorry for my noobness but whats the differance between Quad Crossfire and Dual Crossfire
and I got 3 options for mobo

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...
edit: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...
and the one kroniks getting

I cant afford kroniks board and the 2nd board I listed supports AM3 and which is future proof so you think I should get the AM3 board instead of the AM2 which is like 10pound differance

kronik, aprt from keeping my components cool the main reason im gettig the 120mm fans with blue LED's it to make my case look cool =)
and what heatiskin are you gettin
Since we have a very similar system Id like some of your advice when I overclock my self cause Iv never done it before.
a b À AMD
June 23, 2009 4:02:37 PM

K1ash3r said:
tecom34, sorry for my noobness but whats the differance between Quad Crossfire and Dual Crossfire
Quad Crossfire is 4 (Single Slot) GPU's and Dual is 2 (Single Slot or Dual Slot) GPU's. Most people will tell you that you don't need anything above dual Crossfire and if you do... it is better to upgrade to the next level video cards versus adding cards...
K1ash3r said:
and I got 3 options for mobo

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...
edit: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...
and the one kroniks getting.
I would go with the 2nd board listed that is AM3 / DDR3 if fits into your budget.

On CPU coolers... those can be added later once you start overclocking. I would look around for a XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler for your initial build but if you can't afford it now, than I would get one of these two when you can... They are pretty much the BEST out there!!

Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775/LGA1366)
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3)

a b À AMD
June 23, 2009 4:07:01 PM

kronik2k said:
tecmo you think my build is ready to buy ?
It looks ready to buy to me, outside of knowing if you are getting a CPU cooler or not.... but as I stated above, one can always be added later, specially if you don't plan on OCing right from the start.
June 23, 2009 4:29:44 PM

I could not find the Xigmatek Dark Knight on overclockers but i found it on thsi website though, does it look alright to you

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xigmatek-Dark-Knight-S12...

Im probobly gonna get this with my motherboard even if it goes over my budget a little bit, cause if I but it later Ill have to take out my mobo to install it on.

So how does this look

CPU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP...

MOBO http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

RAM http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

GPU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

PSU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

3rd PARTY FAN http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xigmatek-Dark-Knight-S12...

HDD http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD...

OD http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD...

CASE http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

FANS x3 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG...

edit: MONITOR http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001NEI7M0/cia...

edit: qucik question i noticed that my mobo is 1.5v and my ram is 1.65v will this cause any troublt
and one more thing what do people mean when they say "flash the BIOS to a newer version"

!