CPU: AMD 940 BE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790X
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
GPU: XFX Ati HD 4870 1GB
CASE: Antec 300
PSU: Corsair 650TX
HDD: Western Digital 160GB
OD: LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW

I would appriciate if you guys answered these questions( I live in UK by the way)

1)I will probobly be overlocking my CPU so can you guys recommend me a good aircooling system

2) I was thinking about getting a new monitor, but I recently found out that your GPU affects what monitor you should get, so can you guys recommend me a decent gaming monitor between 21.5"-22" that will be a good match with my video card and possibly with a better video card that I might get in the future

3) I was thinking about buying a 650W or 750W PSU, I will be overlocking and I plant on getting a better video card in the future, so do you think that 650W will be enough for my future plans

4) About the case, I was wondering are the 3(I think) fans included in the case, and you know the blue LED's around the fans, are those also included as well.

5)I would also like to hear your comments on this built, thanks

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
1) Not sure on good cooler for that CPU, but I want to verify, that's the 940 BE Phenom II right?

2) Any monitor in that size range with 5ms response or less will be just fine with that card.

3) 650 is fine for a single card system.

4) Case comes with the 120mm rear exhaust, and a 140mm top exhaust, I would recommend buying 1 or 2 front intake fans 120mm size. As far as I know there are no LED lights on the two included fans.

5) The build itself looks good, but depending on cost and availability you may want to choose an AM3 board that uses DDR3 memory, as this will provide overall faster speeds in the long run.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Thanks for the reply,

1) Yes, its AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

4)I might buy 3 of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-045-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4 2 for the front and 1 for the side. If I get 3 of these will I still need a heatsinik for my CPU if I overlock?

5) The 940 is AM2+ and getting the 945(AM3) plus AM3-DDR3 board and DDR3 instead of DDR2 is going a bit over my budget.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
4) It all depends on how much you want to over clock it, you'll be able to do so to a certain extent with the standard cooling unit, but keep an eye on temperatures via a program like CoreTemp or something similar. If it is idle and load too high then maybe consider backing off the clock speed until you get a third party cooler.

5) No big deal, staying in budget is important, and it's not like the ddr2 memory is bad, it's just not the newest and shiniest thing out there.

Overall it looks like you've got a great system picked out. It'd be nice if someone else could post ideas/options for a third party cooler though.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

OK, I'm all set than just need to get a good monitor at my local store and get a decent 3rd party cooler.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Yes =) especially that the computer I have now is like 6 years old
(singel core 1.5ghz, 768mb ram) very sad I know =)

edit: quick question

1)I might get another 4870 so, with the monitor I chose(LG 22" 1920x1080), will that monitor be able to handle and unleash the FULL power of 2 4870's

2) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

3) And heres the problem, I was planning on letting my local computer shop order the parts and built the computer for me, but I kinda wanna do it my self but the problem is I dont know how to put everything together and Im afraid Im gonna break something and mess up, so you think with reading some guides online and watching some youtube videos I'll be able to successfuly order the parts my self and put everything together?

4) Do you recommend a good website I can get my parts from and I live in UK 30miles north of nottingham if that makes any differance.

Thanks a lot =)

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Search for a price comparison website in the UK, normally it's always the same 2 or 3 shops that are cheap, you can then order everything from there and safe money.

I think you can manage to build the Pc on your own and you will learn a lot.
The next time you have a Pc problem you will be able to repair it on your own.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
thanks I think I will give it a try and if something doesnt work out I can always ask for help online and if that wont help I can just give it to my local computer shop.=)

1)I might get another 4870 so, with the monitor I chose(LG 22" 1920x1080), will that monitor be able to handle and unleash the FULL power of 2 4870's

2) and I heard only some games benefit from crossfire/SLI, wats that all about?

3) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

OK, but should I stick with my MOBO and keep my crossfire option open just in case? and will my monitor be able to handle crossfire/SLI

and quick questions what the differance between the 1gb 4870 and 1gb 4870 XXX

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

yep your right XXX is OC'd

and couple more questions

2) and I heard only some games benefit from crossfire/SLI, wats that all about?

3) If I get windows 7 I should get the 64-bit right?

edit: IS this monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001NEI7M0/ciaouk-ce-21/ref=asc_df_B001NEI7M0374894 and this GPU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-115-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939 a good match (I will be planning on getting a better video card in future and possibly crossfiring)

tecmo34

Administrator
Pretty much all new games will benefit from Crossfire/SLI. You will run into more issues on older games. With that said, some games benefit more using Crossfire vs SLI & the other way around.

I would get the 64-bit system, so you can get full benefit of your memory.

Your monitor & GPU will work fine together.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks Im all set now and ordering parts next week

I got a bit of a problem though I got no idea how to put those parts together, so I got 2 options I could order the parts myself and pay my local computer shop to put them together, but I kinda wanna put the computer together my self so here comes my second option, you think after reading some guides on the internet and maybe watching some videos on youtube I could successufuly put the computer together my self, and do you know any good guides out there that could possibly help me including video guides.

sanders4617

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Yes you should be able to. Its not too hard. You got your case.. put in your PSU.. then I like to put in my drives then I will put in the motherboard. From there, I will install everything on the motherboard and wire everything up. Your motherboard will have a manual.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Thanks Im more confident doing it now just one questions what do you mean when you say my motherboard has a manyak?

tecmo34

Administrator
He said your motherboard has a manual, which shows you how to hook everything up to your motherboard. Plus, most good motherboard makers give you a "Quick Setup" diagram on where everything goes on your motherboard.

I would recommend installing your memory, CPU, & CPU cooler outside of the case first. It is much easier installing them that way.

I would just Google "How to build a PC Step by Step" and you'll find plenty of sites that go into detail on how to setup a PC.

Good Luck!!

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

OK thanks, lol I dont know how I didnt get the manual thing, I guess I was too excited.

One quic questions I know that my motheboard supports Crossfire, I just wanna know if it supports SLI as well?