Revodrive X2 vs Vertex 3

gumby21ne

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I have been debating on what solid state disk I should upgrade to a OCZ Revodrive X2 240 GB or wait for the OCZ Vertex 3 or another SSD using the new generation of Sandforce controllers. I am using an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard so I don't have any sata 6.0 gb/s ports. I have also heard that some users have had problems booting from the Revodrive on certain ASUS motherboards and that it may affect pci express bandwidth when using multiple graphics cards. What would you recommend?

Bolas

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
If you don't have SATA 6 GB/s, you don't need a Vertex 3 and could just as easily get one of the 300 series Intel SSD's.

The RevoDrive would work better than a SATA II (3GB/s) drive due to the PCIe lanes having a higher throughput, but the RAID drive on a card has some limitations as well. Namely, garbage collection instead of TRIM, longer boot times due to having to initialize the hardware, and questionable differences in real-world usage scenarios compared to a really good single drive SSD.

Cheapest and best would probably be to get the new Intel drive. If you want to get the Vertex 3, that would mean it's time to upgrade the motherboard as well to one that has SATA 6Gb/s, otherwise you're paying for bandwidth that you aren't using due to motherboard limitations.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
many don't know yet due to limited info.. BUT the Vertex 3's larger/faster recycling engine is much improved. Then there's the reduced throttling algorithm that comes with this new controller. Well worth the upgrade even on sata2. Then later on when you upgrade the hardware you get a free bonus with sata3 capability from the SSD.

So, even on a sata2 board it would be an awesome drive without the Revo compatibility issues. Could always riad 2 of them for performance that would surpass the Revo as well with small file and write operations. I've personally tested and compared and I would recommend it over ALL other Sandforce drive implementations. Well.. at least until the new Revo X2 with 2000 series controllers hit the market anyways. lol