sirslicey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hey!

I'm looking for a decent bang for buck cooler for my AMD 1055t CPU, it's currently running at 2.8GHz. I plan on overclocking it to hopefully 4.5GHz; My budget is anywhere from $0-40 or so, unless you can bend my arm backwards enough...

These are some of my current specs:
Case: NZXT Tempest EVO
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
CPU: AMD 1055T Hex-Core Processor
RAM: 4x4(8GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600 Cas Latency 9
GPU: 8800 GTX 768MB(buying a new GPU this Summer)

Other Thoughts:

My PSU is mounted at the bottom

120mm Fans
2 x 120 mm front fans
1 x 120 mm rear fan
1 x 120mm side fan

140mm Fans
2 x 140mm top fans

I'm guessing an updraft CPU Cooler would be good, and actually better compared to the cross-flow orientation, am I correct?

So I'm thinking either the Gelid Tranquillo or the Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B
I'm also thinking about the Corsair H50 as well, it's water cooling at a reasonable price, but some same it's not really that effective.

Solution
We've reached the point where air cooling is just as good as water cooling.

I have an original Cooler Master Hyper 212 in my personal pc. I've used the 212 for several years and several upgrades. I also purchased other newer cpu heatsinks and conducted cooling experiments. The 212 can definitely hang in there. Cooling is excellent. Technical reviews were very favorable. The 212+ is probably the best bang for the buck.

We've reached the point where air cooling is just as good as water cooling.

I have an original Cooler Master Hyper 212 in my personal pc. I've used the 212 for several years and several upgrades. I also purchased other newer cpu heatsinks and conducted cooling experiments. The 212 can definitely hang in there. Cooling is excellent. Technical reviews were very favorable. The 212+ is probably the best bang for the buck.

Solution

sirslicey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I've heard a lot about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and it has tremendous value however I've noticed that the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B is 7C cooler than the Hyper 212 Plus. That is pretty good, I've also heard about some noise complaints from the Hyper 212 Plus, but I don't know.

I figured the H50 wasn't that great for the price, people were saying that.

I also want the ability to set the fan and heat sink up in an updraft orientation because of my case's 2 140mm top fans. The CPU is right underneath one of the fans, and the heat can be directly released. All that aside;

I want an upward draft, AM3 compatible CPU Cooler for $0-40.
Can someone help me out?

Okay, I think I've made my decision, I'm choosing the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B SCMG-2100

What do you guys think?