Closed

Pentium 4 2.53Ghz 512KB Cache Vs. Celeron D 3.2Ghz 256KB Cache

(Edited to correct mistake in the Celeron CPU. It's a 775 not a 478.)

Was clearing out the attic today, and found more computers and computer parts, I thought I'll take all the best bits and scrap the rest. I found 3 PC's which I combined to make one to save space, and keep as a spare. So far it's boiled down to the CPU on this one.

- Pentium 4 2.53Ghz 512KB Cache Socket 478
- Celeron D 3.2Ghz 256KB Cache Socket LGA775 (Single core, not dual.)

I heard Celeron's where terrible, that's why I poped the question. Even though it has half the cache, it does have a higer clock rate.

Which is better?
18 answers Last reply
More about pentium 53ghz 512kb cache celeron 2ghz 256kb cache
  1. PS: Celeron "D" is not like Pentium D where it used 2 cpu's. Celeron D's are just single cores. Just in case you didn't know.
  2. Personally I would go with the Pentium 4.
  3. I'd go with the Celeron. The 20% higher clock speed would more than compensate for the smaller cache.

    Unless ... you can overclock the P4 to within 10% of the Celeron.
  4. I don't like Celerons because they're really bad for multi tasking.
    Running one app, probably the celeron would be better.
  5. Hmm... 800Mhz is a big difference me thinks :) Thats what I'm confused on :)
  6. ^^ O wait, scrap the first post! I just checked and the Celeron is a LGA775.

    So what now? Which is better? If its the celeron, I'll find a LGA775 motherboard from my pile and use the Celeron instead.
  7. Then use the Celeron and with a LGA775 motherboard you can upgrade the CPU later to a Core 2 Duo.
  8. dunklegend said:
    Then use the Celeron and with a LGA775 motherboard you can upgrade the CPU later to a Core 2 Duo.


    Nah, it's not my primary computer. Hell, its like the 3rd spare computer I'm setting up from all the good old bits and peices. So there will be no upgrading. So, celeron or pentium?
  9. I'll say Celeron
  10. OK, I thought so too, I just had my doubts, people frown upon Celeron.
  11. I had a 2.4ghz Celeron D for a while....worked well enough for me to play Guild Wars on and normal web surfing. Then I gave it to my sister and now its almost completely unusable because of all the viruses and spyware that she has packed on it now. It would work fine for basic web surfing and whatnot.
  12. Another vote for the celeron. An lga 775 board is more likely to have DDR2, SATA and PCIe then a 478 I would think. (struggling to find facts to back this up though)

    Since this PC is being made from spares, I should check interfaces for HDDs, graphics cards and what RAM you have most of before deciding on one or t'other.
  13. bige420 said:
    I had a 2.4ghz Celeron D for a while....worked well enough for me to play Guild Wars on and normal web surfing. Then I gave it to my sister and now its almost completely unusable because of all the viruses and spyware that she has packed on it now. It would work fine for basic web surfing and whatnot.


    Wow, a CPU with viruses :D Now that's a first. I'm presuming you mean your Hard Drive, if so, just reinstall it and walla!
  14. mi1ez said:
    Another vote for the celeron. An lga 775 board is more likely to have DDR2, SATA and PCIe then a 478 I would think. (struggling to find facts to back this up though)

    Since this PC is being made from spares, I should check interfaces for HDDs, graphics cards and what RAM you have most of before deciding on one or t'other.


    Yup, I found a old Biostar, with DDR2 and PCI-e 1.0 LGA775. So I'll use that one. Thanks for all the advice.
  15. I Got A Computer With A P4 2.53 .. 4gb ram and Barracuda 7200 80 gb hard Drove , Rev 1.2 motherboard , old computer and old Procsessor but stills reallllllyyy fast for a computer wich is about 8 years old , i got a celeron D procsessor and i tried it out on my p4 ( Same Socket ) and it was slower than the P4 so you should go with a P4 .. :)
  16. According to the latest Passmark CPU benchmark scores heres the round-up

    Intel Pentium 4 2.53Ghz - 313
    Intel Celeron D 3.2Ghz- 394


    So technically the Celeron is the better one. its funny though because these scores are from Passmarks performance Test 7.0 Software, which i use and on my AGP System running a Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Hyper Threaded 800Mhz FSB 512 Kb Cache i get a 616 CPU score
  17. i vote celeron
  18. This topic has been closed by Buwish
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celeron Cache