E8400 vs Q6600 which is better?

Howdy y'all,

I have both of these CPU's and need a little help. I have the E8400 in a new build I built back in Feb 09 and now have this Q6600 that I just got with a mobo I won on Ebay.
My Question is this CPu better than the e8400 I have installed. Thanks, Bt
12 answers Last reply
More about e8400 q6600 better
  1. wiljamin said:
    Howdy y'all,

    I have both of these CPU's and need a little help. I have the E8400 in a new build I built back in Feb 09 and now have this Q6600 that I just got with a mobo I won on Ebay.
    My Question is this CPu better than the e8400 I have installed. Thanks, Bt

    See for yourself
  2. According to the chart the Q6600 wins
  3. it depends.
    I'd probably buy a better cooler and oc the q6600 to 3.2ghz or so= complete win

    otherwise the 3ghz dualcore could be better in some cases than the stock
    2.4ghz q6600
  4. dunklegend said:
    According to the chart the Q6600 wins


    That's a synthetic benchmark that takes advantage of all cores, it cannot be compared with real gaming performance where the E8400 will win most of the time (still it's better to get a Q6600 and overclock it.)
  5. or overclock the E8400 :)

    Dual core tends to work betetr for games due to higher clock frequency, that said there is nothing to stop you overclocking the Q6600 to make up the difference.

    Multi tasking is always going to benefit from more cores
  6. wiljamin what are you going to do with the CPU?
    For gaming use the E8400, otherwise I would use the Q6600.
  7. Gulli said:
    That's a synthetic benchmark that takes advantage of all cores, it cannot be compared with real gaming performance where the E8400 will win most of the time (still it's better to get a Q6600 and overclock it.)


    Yes I know, but still I like that they rate the CPUs overall, instead of using individual benchmarks in which one CPU can be better than the other.

    This chart seems like a good way to see how good is a CPU all around.
  8. Thanks guys, I have two computers in my office that I use for everything plus gaming . The e8400 is on a gigabyte ep45 ud3p with a single hd4870 gigabyte video card and 8gb ddr2. I got the Q6600 on a fxf 790i sli ultra board I won on Ebay to upgrade the other machine.
  9. dunklegend said:
    Yes I know, but still I like that they rate the CPUs overall, instead of using individual benchmarks in which one CPU can be better than the other.

    This chart seems like a good way to see how good is a CPU all around.



    What chart are you using?
  10. rand_79 said:
    it depends.
    I'd probably buy a better cooler and oc the q6600 to 3.2ghz or so= complete win

    otherwise the 3ghz dualcore could be better in some cases than the stock
    2.4ghz q6600



    I have a darknight cooler on the E8400 now
  11. dunklegend said:


    wiljamin said:
    What chart are you using?


    This one: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
  12. Thanks to all
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs New Build