Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata III SSD with raid 0 sata II hdds vs sata II ssd with raid o sata III hdds

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2011 4:21:33 PM

I'm building a new Core i7 950 (cause it's within $10 of the 930)rig, primarily for photo editing, along with a bit of phone app development and some occasional gaming. I want super-fast loads of Photoshop and Lightroom, and decent throughput for RAW photo storage. Mobo is the ASUS Sabertooth X58. I don't plan to do more than some light OC.

I've been planning on 2x1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III drives in RAID 0 for storage, along with a 128 GB SATA II SSD for boot/OS/apps.

However, today on newegg there's a nice deal on a new Crucial 128 GB SATA III SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Placing it only about $30 more than the SATA II SSD I was looking at from OCZ. Combine that with $10 off the Caviar Black SATA II drives today, and we're looking about even price-wise.

My mobo only has 2 SATA III ports, and I was hoping to avoid a separate SATA III card, so I can use my PCIe slots for SLI.

So the question is - which setup would you choose? Better burst speeds and slightly higher sustained throughput on the RAID array, or maximum speed on the SSD?

I'm leaning toward the SATA III SSD, but wanted to see what other folks thought befor I pull the trigger.
a c 311 G Storage
March 9, 2011 9:45:35 PM

Have you visited the Adobe user forums? There is a section about maximum performance. It includes an entire section about ssd's.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
March 10, 2011 3:11:52 AM

Good suggestion from Johnnylucky^

For fast data transfer, look to ssd's. Nothing else comes close. In particular, look at the gen 3 devices which can make use of the 6gb sata to get high data transfer rates.
You should be able to do better than the crucial C300 when they arrive. Probably this month. Intel 510 is already here. It;s sequential performance is stellar, but the random, which most users do 90% of the time is only so so. The Vertex 3 looks to be the fastest, and there are rumors that the crucial c400 which should also launch soon might be good too. It will pay you to wait, I think. Yes, you will pay more for the latest, but if you have the funds, you will avoid some second guessing later.

Get as much ram as you can. Ram for workfiles is much faster than even a ssd.

Also, a 6gb sata3 card will only need a pci-e X1 slot, of which you will have two. No worries there if you need it.

If you are interested in gaming, you do not need sli unless you have triple 1080P monitors, or are using 2560 x 1600 monitors.
Even then a GTX580 or the new 6990 would be more than enough.

Lastly, have you considered a sandy bridge build? They are faster per clock, and will compete with the i7-980X. Cheaper too.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 14, 2011 6:19:27 PM

h2orules said:
I'm building a new Core i7 950 (cause it's within $10 of the 930)rig, primarily for photo editing, along with a bit of phone app development and some occasional gaming. I want super-fast loads of Photoshop and Lightroom, and decent throughput for RAW photo storage. Mobo is the ASUS Sabertooth X58. I don't plan to do more than some light OC.

I've been planning on 2x1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III drives in RAID 0 for storage, along with a 128 GB SATA II SSD for boot/OS/apps.

Just a couple comments on your setup...

1) Look into Sandy Bridge. If you want to OC, look at the i5-2500K. Or if you have money to spend, then the i7-2600K

2) Mechanical hard drives get little to zero noticeable performance increase on a SATA 6.0 gb/s compared to SATA 3.0gb/s so you might just save the money (and SATA 6.0gb/s ports) and either go with SATA 3.0 drives or put those WD blacks on the 3.0gb/s ports.

3) I have that same mobo and im 99% sure that you can't do RAID on the SATA 6.0 gb/s ports, only the SATA 3.0 gb/s ports. This leads me back to my point #2.

4) Have you considered doing RAID 1 instead of 0 for redundancy? I have that same mobo (with the i7-950 too) and it was really simple to set up the RAID 1 with two 1TB drives (note #3)
March 24, 2011 4:07:04 AM

Best answer selected by h2orules.
m
l
March 24, 2011 4:16:50 AM

Just to followup, I ended up getting a killer deal on the OCZ Vertex 2. Debated about waiting for the Vertex 3's, but needed to get the machine up and running for a project I'm starting. For the same reason, decided not to wait for Sandy Bridge (plus, it seemed like the big win here for me was mostly lower power consumption and a small bit of perf improvement, while losing tripple channel RAM).

Grabbed the SATA III HD's, because by the time I ordered, they were the same price as the SATAII versions, and they had more cache. But have them on the SATA II ports so I can get RAID going, as Win 7 didn't like the Marvell controller doing RAID so much for the SATA III ports.

Full rig specs, for those interested:

Core i7 950
ASUS Sabertooth X58 MoBo
ASUS GTX 560 Ti
12 GB (3x4GB) 1033 RAM (Corsair)
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
2x1TB WD Caviar Black (7200 RPM, 64MB Cache) SATA III
CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W Modular PSU
CoolerMaster Storm Scout case
m
l
!