asalhan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hello people, I just want some advice, i'm considering making a new system these are the components that I am looking to use.

Antec P182 case
Asus Striker II NSE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Corsair Dominator DDR3 4GB kit
XFX 8800 Ultra (already have this in current system)
CoolerMaster M850 PSU (already have this in current system)
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Cooler

Not too sure about the OS or the HDDs yet but what do you guys think of this as an initial setup. Please feel free to respond with alternatives and suggestions. I need them all before i go and spend the money.

Thanks

bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Mostly looks good, although I would get a cheaper, just as good Gigabyte motherboard, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128369 and spend the extra buck on a quad core like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

Good luck!

asalhan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Everyone seems to be suggesting that I buy a mobo that does not have the nVidia chipset, is there a specific reason for this or are people just biased?

I have had nvidia based mobos in the past (nforce 4) I know its old but it got me through playing games like Half Life 2, Serious Sam 2, FEAR and many more games that were highly graphic dependant. I have kind of become used to having a nforce chipset on the motherboard, is there good reason to change to an intel chipset?

As for the CPU. I think I might get a quad core, will see whats available. I can't buy from newegg.com as i live in the UK so i will have to find the cheapest supplier over here.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
current nvidia boards are poor when it comes to quality and OC'ing.

and a quad core is a must nowadays for gaming.

give us your budget and we'll get something that max's out it's potential.

G

its really more dependent on your graphics card. besides, if you've only had nforce mobos, then how do you know what the absence will be like? its your money, but some manufacturers like asus or gigabyte produce really well performing, not to mention high quality boards that can satisfy your needs just as well as an nforce no doubt. take a risk.