What does i5 have that i7 doesn't?

manningbowl135

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
One of my friends have just bought an i7 and he asked me why intel came out with i5. I couldn't answer him because I don't know anything about the i5. What's it's selling point? It's a bit cheaper, but not that much.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
The i5 is cheaper and uses less power, so a better question would be: "what does the i7 have that the i5 doesn't?"

Of course HT and triple channel memory and better support for multiple GPU solutions have their uses but only for a small minority of users (I bought my i7 setup before the i5 was released, otherwise I'd probably have gone for the i5.)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Core i5 is supposed to be the mainstream CPU, while the Core i7 is supposed to be the high end / enthusiast CPU. Both Core i7 and Core i5 shares the same cores, but Core i7 does not have PCI-E generator built in. So therefore because there are less components on die, Core i7 is able to overclock higher, with better support for multi-GPU configuration.

So in a nutshell, if you are planning to go for a multi-GPU solution, Core i7 is a much better choice for you. If not, Core i5 would suit you better.

jennyh

Splendid

He will feel less ripped off once he changes over to AMD in a years time.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah because in 2010 God will suddenly let a superior CPU descend from the heavens unto the desk of AMD's CEO, since AMD getting on top of Intel in the near future would require nothing less than a miracle.

Sad really, this means Intel can keep its prices high and will invest less in R&D.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Jennyh, currently im with AMD (955 BE) but in a year that could change or couldn't. If Bulldozer is released, i will stick around, and if the 975 has a Cache increase and 125 tdp (same with Thuban six core) i will stay. Otherwise Intel is getting to enticing.

He'll feel less ripped off when he changes to a lower performance platform in a year while spending money?

Last I checked, paying money to get something worse than you currently have is getting pretty solidly ripped off.