Few questions about components. (First Build!)

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm doing my first watercooling build and just wanted to ask a few questions to the more experienced people around. At first I thought a dual loop setup would be good, but then I read this and decided on the single loop that will cool:

- Intel Core i7-930 (Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2)
- EVGA GTX580 (EK-FC580 GTX+ Nickel + Acetal)
- EVGA Classified Motherboard (EK-FB EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED Acetal+Nickel)

The build is on an Obsidian 800D case. I really want the setup to be silent, and read that I need a low fin density radiator that will work well with low RPM fans (I'm thinking 1000 RPM). My second priority is to make it as clean looking as possible. Basically, my questions are:

Radiator Questions
- Will a single XSPC RX360 mounted horizontally at the top of the case be enough to cool this single loop setup?
- If this isn't enough, would it be if I added another single 120mm radiator to the loop? I'm thinking at the bottom of the case; I know it can be modded to fit a dual 120mm radiator, but the less modding the better for me!

Pump Questions
- Can I set this up with a single MCP350 pump? Or should I use two MCP350 pumps in series?

Reservoir Questions
- Can the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs be set up so that the two pumps are in series? I'm guessing one pump's output goes to the other's reservoir, is this good?

Thanks to anyone who responds, I really appreciate it! I don't wanna screw this up, so I'm trying to be as prepared as I can! :na:

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
If you bought the dual res, I'd assume it was because you were running a dual loop,
as you said you've decided on a single loop just get a single res and pump, or if you do have two pumps, have one further round the loop to keep flowrates up I would say,
something like Res>Pump1>cpu block>chipset blocks>
dual rad at bottom>Pump2(or a mini-res then pump2)>
gfx card>triplerad>res>pump1
priming two pumps at once will be fun I think :)
but for a first wetbuild, you really are going fullwhack, props to you man
(or whatever the kids say these days :p)
/Watching with interest,
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OP- single MCP350/355 will work fine for that setup, the single RX360 should be good for you...give it some good fans and you will be set.

I'd run a different res; they make a single pump setup as well, might check out those.

@ Ortoklaz- man, every time I look at those rads...makes me drool...so pretty...

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Haha, thanks a lot. I think I'll do the single pump thing then, thing is I was just afraid that if I ever got another 580GTX in sli it wouldn't be enough for the single MCP35x pump, so I'm now thinking of going with an MCP655 pump on this reservoir. Anyone has had any experience with the EK Full Board Block or the Bitspower Black Freezer one? I've been hearing some bad stuff from EK about their nickel plating.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hmm, so you think a single MCP35x or DDC 3.25 is enough for a motherboard, cpu, gpu loop? I might go for that if so, sounds like it's good. I'll just have to find a reservoir for it. So from what I understand that PWM is the same as a CPU's fan connector? So I could set its speed from my motherboard's BIOS and even leave it automatic? That sounds awsome. Thanks again for re recommendation.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

here are few things i want to address
1-"chipset/board blocks are the most restrictive component you will loop up in your system"..period and you only need it for two reasons ..bling or world class OC's ,i never had one i never will
http://skinneelabs.com/asus-r3e_blocks/5/
2- i see you are fan of EK blocks,especially nickel plated..read this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266834-29-before-nickel-block
or ;
http://tinyurl.com/6yqmnxg
3-the reason i recommend this pump is the fact ,that is very powerful/and quite ,you will need top for it and run via 3pin MB +fan controlling software like Asus Fan Expert or alike you can also control it via fan controller or you can get 35X and connect to 4 pin CPU fan connector

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. Well the only reason why I'm considering an MB block is because it seems these EVGA Classified gets pretty hot, specially the VREG. It seems if the processor is overclocked, the VREGs can reach up to 90C, which is starting to worry me. Specially since when I go watercooling my top exhaust fans will be less efficient to move air out due to the radiator.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Those components are designed to run hot, but it sounds like case airflow might be the real issue if that is the scenario. With watercooling, you should maintain or improve your overall case airflow since you'll be removing the CPU fan which helps cool multiple motherboard components. This is a common misconception that people assume you can simply watercool a CPU and/or GPU and not need additional airflow.