PC does not boot (no beep,no display) MB problem?

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hi everybody,

Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade my media center PC (install Win7 and install new RAM)
I installed the RAM no problem, the PC booted and I checked the new 2Gb were installed properly. Then, I booted the PC from the CD and now is when it went crazy; one screw fell onto the MB close to the CPU, I took it as I could since it was quite hot. Then, the PC shut itself down automatically.
Now, each time that I try to boot, I get no beeps, no display in the monitor, the HD and CD rom remain lit an active but nothing happens. The PC restarts all time automatically after a couple of minutes approx.
I have unplug all the unnecessary devices for booting and now I have only the PSU, CPU, MB and the case.
Before I unscrewed the MB (GIGABYTE GA-EG41MF-S2H) from the case to check for short circuits, any idea of what is going on? Does the screw story make any sense at all? The fact is that that media center has been running for approx a year till I opened the case yesterday

Does this look like a MB problem ?

Thanks

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I was wondering, did you(or the screw) happen to touch the new 2Gb without unplugging & grounding the case??? I have heard that in some atmospheric circumstances the ram can be very touchy.

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I don't remember what I or the screwed touched. but yes, that is what I am thinking as well as a possiblie scenario. Either a short caused by the screw or an electrostatic discharge caused by me touching the RAM when tried to grab the screw from the MB. When I did that, the PC was ON.
When inserting the RAM, I took some electrostatic precautions and of course the PSU was unplugged

Thanks

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
In the meantime, I brought the 2 RAM modules to the office, where I tried them both in another PC and I can at least confirm that both modules did not fry and work properly.

Thanks

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Back home, I verified the RAM is well inserted.
I have also I inserted a bootable CD. The drive did not spin for too much time, which indicates that is does not get as far as the boot menu.
I unplugged the 4PIN power connector of the CPU and I get the same behavior...

This is not looking good

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Will the old ram work???.(a bit of an obvious ?) Also as your mobo lies flat it would be a small miracle if that screww did not cross a couple of solders. This is assuming that the cd is 100% ok.

noahjwhite

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I would suspect motherboard if you get no beeps... although it could be your power supply or HD as well. I think it's unlikely that a dropped screw would cause a short. It's possible but unlikely. Does the HD spin up?
I had a similar thing happen to me last year and it turned out to be the power supply.

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks noahjwhite,

I checked PSU voltages and they seem OK.
It could be the screw or also the electrostatic discharge that I might have caused when taking the screw with a PC ON? I don't know, I am confused...

the HD spins up. In the case of a faulty HD the screen should display something, should it not?

Another thing, how can I interpret the PHASE LEDs in the Mobo? Will they help to discard possibilities between a faulty CPU or faulty MoBo?

Cheers

duny40

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
have you tried unplugging the power and taking out the battery and putting it back in to reset? possibly the problem could be that simple. just hopefully there was no real harm done.

pardillojuegos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
No, I didnt try to take out the battery. I cleared the CMOS but did not work.
Now, the MoBo is back to the manufacturer. Hopefully, I willl get an answer after christmas.

Thanks all for your help.

I will keep you posted once I heard from the manufacturer

Thanks