Sign in with
Your question

I7 Rig. Any significant bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2009 9:47:22 PM

Hello guys. I'm about to build a new computer. It's gonna be rather expensive so i'm looking to avoid any kind of bottleneck, or atleast prevent it as much as possible. I'm especially worried about the HDD being a bottleneck but I haven't been able to find any real info on the subject.

I'll list the parts of the setup and hopefully some of you guys can tell me whether i should swap some of the parts. If so please state what kind of hardware i should get instead :) 

The computer is mainly going to be used for gaming. I'm thinking about going quad sli some time in the future so if you can see a bottleneck problem with that feel free to comment on that too :) 

Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme motherboard
i7 920 @ 4ghz
Gtx 295 (I will OC this too)
Corsair Dominator 3x2gb PC12800 - 1600Mhz Cas 8
Coolermaster Real Power 1kw
WD Caviar Black 1tb (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Oh yeah, i forgot to say that cpu, motherboard and graphic card are all going to be watercooled.

I hope some of you can help :) 

Edit: I forgot to say, i'm gonna be playing with a resolution of 1900x1200 on a 24" screen.
June 20, 2009 10:41:27 PM

Considering the HDD is a 7200rpm, it won't be a bottleneck
June 21, 2009 12:09:36 AM

tidefan94 said:
Considering the HDD is a 7200rpm, it won't be a bottleneck

One of my friends who is studying computer science was talking about how some games, WoW for example, cache alot to the HDD but I have a hard time believing that it actually catches so much that the HDD can't keep up.

Thanks for the answer ;)  If anyone else has something to add that'd be great :) 
Related resources
June 21, 2009 4:33:14 AM

bottleneck? not so much.

overkill? that GPU and PSU sure are.
June 21, 2009 2:05:25 PM

astrodudepsu said:
bottleneck? not so much.

overkill? that GPU and PSU sure are.

If there isn't a Bottleneck how can you say that the GPU is overkill? There are allready games out which pretty much no single card can run with maxed out graphic settings and still be what i call playable, ie >40FPS.

I know that the PSU is overkill but as i said i might go quad sli sometime in the future, and from what i've read, an OC i7 920 + 2x OC gtx 295 requires around 1kw.
June 22, 2009 5:13:02 AM

The GTX295 isn't a single card, it's two cards sandwiched together. Going quad SLI is a bad strategy as it has been shown that 3 GTX285's perform better than 2 GTX 295's. AND add to that DX11 cards are just around the corner. Dropping $1000 on video cards now is premature.

Unless you live and die with Crysis an overclocked GTX295 is overkill on anything less than a 30' monitor.
!