Sign in with
Your question

MS Flight Simulator PC

Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2009 1:38:58 AM

Do you have a suggested component list for a PC that will run MS Flight Simulator 10 with great performance and frame rates? Would the $600 Gaming PC fit the bill?

More about : flight simulator

September 24, 2009 2:00:34 AM

For MS's Flight Simulator X, you need at least a quad core, and a relatively high end graphics card. It also depends on the resolution of your screen.

IMHO, $600 is a little too low for a system that's capable of running FSX smoothly. You should be looking at around $1000 rig :( 
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 9:42:29 AM

Maybe a nice graphics card with a heavily Oc'ed CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 10:02:54 AM

FSX is the most CPU bound gaming title available today. It demands as much CPU horsepower as you can afford to throw at it. FSX frame rate is ~ 85% dependent upon CPU Cores and overclocking, so an i7 @ 4.0 Ghz yields responsive frame rates.

Although FSX runs best on mainstream nVidia GPU's, it also runs best on a single GPU, rather than SLI / CF / X2 GPU's, since multiple GPU's divert valuable CPU interrupts, which has the effect of actually reducing frame rates.

See Tom's Gaming Graphics Charts Q3/2008 - http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

I've been a Flight Sim enthusiast for 15 years, so I've built all my PC's over the years as dedicated FSX rigs.

Comp :sol: 
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 10:46:00 AM

Intel Q9** CPU or Intel i7 takes care of the CPU load. Nvidia 2** GPU should be more than enough for video too.

RAM 4gb and 64bit OS

I used to get decent frame rates on my old E6850 / 4gb DDR2 / 8800 GTS

a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 10:49:28 AM

I know someone who built a 2x Opteron rig specifically for this game. It's that CPU intensive.
September 24, 2009 11:12:42 AM

I tried 3 years ago to buy a PC capable of running FSX well, unfortunately I made the fatal mistake of buying a pre-packaged computer from Dell, as I had not yet discovered self-building. It performed OK on my system, but I am now in the process of completely overhauling my entire PC. So far I have only upgraded my video card; to an ATI Radeon HD4850 with 1gig dedicated memory. I would highly recommend this card, it is reasonably priced and performs beautifully. By itself it increased my FSX experience 10 fold. I run the game graphics on High (with obvious tweaks to individual sliders) and consistently see FPS over 50.

Specs:

32 bit OS
Processor: Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.13 g Hz
RAM: 2-gig DDR2
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4850 1 gig dedicated
PSU: Corsair 750TX
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 11:21:17 AM

Hehe, I only know how to play HAWX.
!