Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU for board and dual sli video card?

Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2009 4:04:42 AM

I'll probably get flamed for this post... that's fine. I'll take the heat in hopes of genuine answers. And I claim to be no expert so feel free to just address me as "newb". I don't mind. On to the questions...

I have the following videocard:

eVGA GeForce 9400 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, S-Video, VGA Support: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I read about dual SLI cards that work together to maximize video output. Is this possible with these cards? Hoping so that way I can buy a second one and have them work together but for how cheap it was I doubt it. But for the price it was a mile above the onboard card from what I can tell.

Also, I have the following motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now I know there's those brutally loyal to both AMD and Intel. And I've read a LOT of arguments over what's the best CPU. Feel free to argue, flame me, tell me to f off... whatever... but hopefully I'll get some serious reponses. What CPU would you recommend as the best (in your opinion) to put in this board? I want the fastest possible. So far I have the following CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I already have the board so please, no "get a better board"... unless followed by what you'd recommend. Thanks,

-Faded

a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 7:19:06 AM

You cannot run SLi on that motherboard, and if you could it would not be worth it with that card, the CPU is fine though and runs quite well in an SLi rig.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 9:36:33 AM

If you want to maximise ouput, I recommend either obtaining Hybrid SLi or Crossfire motherboards like the 785G or 9400.

That way you can use both the GPUs of the IGP and discrete card for 4 displays.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 11:50:12 AM

what do you use the PC for? I assume gaming. What games? What resolution? any partularly slow games you want better? What's your budget?

My first thought is to just drop in a new graphics card but it would depend on the power supply, so if you can post details about that too...
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 11:52:00 AM

Assuming that was what you meant by maximising output, as opposed to the number of outputs which appears to be the way amdfangirl interpretted it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 11:59:00 AM

mi1ez said:
what do you use the PC for? I assume gaming. What games? What resolution? any partularly slow games you want better? What's your budget?

My first thought is to just drop in a new graphics card but it would depend on the power supply, so if you can post details about that too...

Who knows?

If he was a gamer, he wouldn't of chosen the 9400GT... riiight?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 12:57:37 PM

You're assuming logic was involved in the purchasing process.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 1:45:11 PM

Well... I assumed...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 1:54:18 PM

amdfangirl said:
Well... I assumed...

I shall put it down to youthful naivety of mankind's ability to do the wrong thing regardless of the amount of better solutions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 1:56:57 PM

Or blame a politician!
m
l
September 24, 2009 1:56:57 PM

A lot of people buy a video card just based on the amount of memory.
They don't know anything about memory bandwidth or pipelines.
My first video card was a piece of **** but once I wasted my money on that one then I started doing a little research before buying, I'm no graphics expert but at least I try to get bang for buck.

BTW I have an old card right now (8600GT) but it does well what I need it to do so I'm going to change it until I replace my old Epox 570 SLI motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 1:59:13 PM

I think I have an overkill... 9800GX2... jeez Louise
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 2:05:12 PM

amdfangirl said:
I think I have an overkill... 9800GX2... jeez Louise

:pfff:  Dual PCB's, will people never learn? [:mousemonkey:2] They're an abomination against nature, unnatural I tell ye.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 2:06:10 PM

I got it for free so I'm not complaining :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 2:28:53 PM

Well that's better than parting with coin and even though it was a prize, booty if you will, it should be buried in a very very deep hole, I'm talking below the Cretaceous period low, and then you can move on a do the dual gpu thing with two separate cards in two separate slots, the expensive way, the proper way. :whistle: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2009 6:26:24 AM

9800GX2... I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
m
l
!