CPU compatability or bad CPU?

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I have heard that bad CPU's are, like, one in a million, but I am wondering if I might have one.

I just tried to fix a buddy's computer by upgrading to a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard and E7500 C2Duo. I put it together, started it up, and have been going through the reboot loop described in the paragraph below over and over. I have traded out every other component in the computer with another system except the mobo and CPU... including the case, dvd... everything.

I start up the computer, I get to the "boot from cd..." screen, and the computer automatically reboots when I hit the spacebar. If I take out the cd, or let the "boot from cd......." time out, I get the same results... reboot, reboot, reboot, at that point in the boot sequence. I have checked voltage/frequency settings in the bios. I have tried with one stick of RAM in different slots. I have unplugged the USB, audio, ethernet cable.

Nothing worked, so I RMAed the mobo with newegg. The new motherboard came in today and I put the computer back together, and I am getting the same results as before. The E7500 is, of course, on the approved CPU's list for this board on Gigabyte.com.

I searched the forums to try to find a similar problem. I have tried all of the suggestions I read from other threads, and nothing has worked so far.

Compared to most of you all, I am a total noob, so I am hoping that there is an easy fix for this that I am just missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

What type of hard drive are you using? Can you get your hands on another hard drive to try to install windows?

Its either a hard drive issue or the configuration for the SATA hard drives in the BIOS. Are you using SATA or IDE hard drive to install windows? If its an IDE hard drive make sure your jumper is set to master...

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

It is a SATA drive. I tried to see if I could get past the "boot from cd..." screen with the drive disconnected, but I got the same result.

However, I have not messed with the HD settings (with the exception of boot sequence) in the BIOS at all. I will look at that when I get home from work.

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

I do not have a floppy drive. Is there a way to flash the BIOS without one?

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

I really hope you are right amigo. If I tell my buddy I need to RMA another component his eyes are going to start bleeding. As I looked through the BIOS, the only thing that looked fishy was that the CPU frequency was set at something like 2.26GHz instead of the 2.93GHz the E7500 should be. I changed it to run at 2.93, and continued getting the same result. However, as I said, I am a noob compared to most of you and do not understand most of the settings in the BIOS.

Some boards have the option to create a BIOS flash CD to boot from. I did this with my EVGA. If you can check on their website for this option you might get lucky and find it.

I do believe you need to flash the BIOS to see if that fixes the issue. If not, then you need to return for RMA or get another motherboard model. At this point I would be leaning towards changing the model if the BIOS flash doesn't do the trick...

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

Good call. I will see if I can flash it if I get home, but I get the feeling that, in the end, I am going to have to RMA for another model of motherboard.

wuxifinger

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

I will check this too when I get home. However, I know the BIOS is detecting the HD as it lists the HD as WDJ10023265160 or whatever in the BIOS itself, and I can't get past this point in the boot sequence even if I unplug the HD. It doesnt do the "Boot from CD" when I take the CD out, but it starts a reboot loop again anyways at that point.

My boot sequence is:

1. CD/DVD
2. HD
3. Disabled
4. Disabled

PS... Even without a HD, I should be able to boot from CD and get to the point in the Windows installation where it asks what drive to install Windows on right? Meaning, I should be able to get past the "Boot from CD" screen without a HD if I am using a Windows disk.