Sign in with
Your question

Thunder K8WE S2895 + Windows 7 pro 64bit

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2009 2:12:04 PM

Hi all,
I have a home built workstation using a Thunder K8WE S2895, it is currently running XP 32bit. I would love to upgrade to windows 7 64bit so as to get full power from my workstation.
I was just wondering if the motherboard is compatable?
The BIOS is well out of date so am wondering if I need to flash with a few olders versions before I can flash it with latest or can I just flash it with latest version?

Also I'm using a scsi drive but will move over to sata I think as I need more storage or it poss to use both?
Any advice would be great, thanks.
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 15, 2009 3:34:44 PM

Don't flash the bios unless you need to change the cpus. Leave it alone. 64 bit xp will work well; use the microsoft malware anti virus to prevent trojan attacks. It's a free download, last time I checked. Don't know if windows 7 will find your board devices unless tyan provides drivers. Go to the for sale forums and ask someone to send you a copy of the beta windows 7 64 which was free last year, but is no longer available. Try that before spending up to $200; get the pro version for xp virtualization if you order windows 7.
m
l
February 8, 2010 9:20:34 AM

upgraded to win 7 64 bit without difficulty except that it will not recognize two nvidia 8600GT cards (does not appear to be card specific though); this is a recurring BIOS issue with each new windows OS; see the revision notes for the last few BIOS releases. Hopefully, there will be a new BIOS for WIN 7 as well, but I am not holding my breath.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2010 11:19:12 AM

Hi,
When I tried to install XP64bit I had trouble with the SCSI driver. Is this fixed?
Also I was thinking of upgrading the CPUs as am only on single core opterons at the moment, can I use the new 200 series duo core? Or is there anythin better I can go for?
Thanks
Les
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:58:53 AM

HI there, am havin real trouble tryin to install win 7 on motherboard. I just get a blue screen after a few minutes.
I cant seem to find the 64bit drivers for the scsi and nvida raid to install so can use 64bit OS.I also tryed ti upgrade the BIOS but would not let me flash it coz it said it could not flash BIOS while memory controllers where in use!!
Pulling hair out here.
Any advice would be great thanks
Les
m
l
March 24, 2010 8:47:55 PM

I just tried windows 7 64 ultimate on the thunder K8WE, everything works perfectly except the on board sound.

Tried updating with the latest nForce 2000 drivers, no fix.

Will probably shell out for a sound card, but if anybody has similar problems or a solution please post them here!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2010 10:27:17 PM

Its better to update the BIOS before installing the OS than after, particularly when there are so many changes to the ACPI and MPTables, third-party option ROMs...

Thunder K8WE (S2895) BIOS revisions: http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/b_s2895.html

You must flash in a real DOS environment without extended memory managers. You can't flash this board from a DOS box opened within an OS.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 1:34:08 AM

I just updated my k8we system with two opteron 275's to Win 7 64 bit without much of a problem.
Sound is working fine, everything is seemingly stable (it's only a been a week).
The system doesn't seem any faster though, I guess I was expecting something of a boost in power considering this system was made for a 64bit OS.

I just added some new memory and initally ran into some problems with the machine not posting, but after some tweaking and talking to tech support the machine is running 6 gigs of memory now. I though that the extra memory would help out tremendously, but it doesn't seem to make a difference yet :( 

Cheers!

*steve
m
l
January 9, 2011 10:31:34 PM

I'm having almost exactly the same problem.

I have two Opteron 280s in a Tyan Thunder K8WE. Running XP 32-bit like lsdinc.

I've already tried installing Windows 7 64-bit. And it Blue Screens right after I boot from the install DVD, choose the language click "Install Now"... boom! BSOD

Uncorrectable hardware error
STOP 0x00000124 (0x00000000, )

The first is all zeros, an online search indicates 0x0 is a "general hardware failure". Well, great... that could be anything!
I don't remember the second and third parameters, but they're the same everytime, so I can just reboot and write them down.

EDIT: Let me be more specific. I ran memtest86+, and it passed several times, so I don't belive it's the RAM. To be sure, CHKDSK comes up with no errors. I unplugged my RAID array because i figured win setup would not detect it anyway but i still have the raid card inside< maybe that was a mistake? lsdinc said he couldn"t find nvidia raid 64-bit drivers either, the nvidia raid is onboard, but I never use that onboard raid, just one port for a sata system drive.
m
l
August 13, 2011 11:01:53 AM

techshui said:
I'm having almost exactly the same problem.

I have two Opteron 280s in a Tyan Thunder K8WE. Running XP 32-bit like lsdinc.

I've already tried installing Windows 7 64-bit. And it Blue Screens right after I boot from the install DVD, choose the language click "Install Now"... boom! BSOD

Uncorrectable hardware error
STOP 0x00000124 (0x00000000, )

The first is all zeros, an online search indicates 0x0 is a "general hardware failure". Well, great... that could be anything!
I don't remember the second and third parameters, but they're the same everytime, so I can just reboot and write them down.

EDIT: Let me be more specific. I ran memtest86+, and it passed several times, so I don't belive it's the RAM. To be sure, CHKDSK comes up with no errors. I unplugged my RAID array because i figured win setup would not detect it anyway but i still have the raid card inside< maybe that was a mistake? lsdinc said he couldn"t find nvidia raid 64-bit drivers either, the nvidia raid is onboard, but I never use that onboard raid, just one port for a sata system drive.

You need to set :
- Memory Hole "enable"
- remapping to "software"
- Set the correct memory value

Regards
m
l
September 30, 2011 11:31:34 PM

I'm having the exact same problem - I have 6 gigs installed and the system will recognize only 4GB... Tech support won't help. Can you elaborate on what you did to recognize the additional 2gigs of memory?

P.S. Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) Motherboard, 2 AMD Opteron 285 Dual Core processors, 4 sticks of Alienware 1GB DDR PC3200 ECC REG, and I installed the following: "2x: Kingston 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server Memory Model KVR400D8R3A/1G". The sticks are even (even # with each processor)... I just flashed the BIOS thinking that it would fix the issue, but nothing... Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quote:
I just updated my k8we system with two opteron 275's to Win 7 64 bit without much of a problem.
Sound is working fine, everything is seemingly stable (it's only a been a week).
The system doesn't seem any faster though, I guess I was expecting something of a boost in power considering this system was made for a 64bit OS.

I just added some new memory and initally ran into some problems with the machine not posting, but after some tweaking and talking to tech support the machine is running 6 gigs of memory now. I though that the extra memory would help out tremendously, but it doesn't seem to make a difference yet :( 

Cheers!

*steve
m
l
October 2, 2011 3:13:04 PM

blade1413 said:
I'm having the exact same problem - I have 6 gigs installed and the system will recognize only 4GB... Tech support won't help. Can you elaborate on what you did to recognize the additional 2gigs of memory?

P.S. Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) Motherboard, 2 AMD Opteron 285 Dual Core processors, 4 sticks of Alienware 1GB DDR PC3200 ECC REG, and I installed the following: "2x: Kingston 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server Memory Model KVR400D8R3A/1G". The sticks are even (even # with each processor)... I just flashed the BIOS thinking that it would fix the issue, but nothing... Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

Could you indicate your complete hardware configuration :
- hard drives
- GPU
- power supply
- slot where placed your DDR
- DDR reference

With windows 7 64
- did you have installed SP1?
- did you updated all drivers from Windows Update agent ?

Regards
m
l
!