kingkong8

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
This is a really newb question but here it goes. I have a Sapphire 4890 which has two 6 pin power inputs on the card. The card came with two 6 pin to 4 pin molex power adapters.

Does it matter if I use a 6 pin PCIe power cable directly from the power supply for both these power inputs on the card, or do I have to use a 4 pin molex power cable from the power supply and use the adapters to connect to the 6 pin power inputs on the video card. Is there a difference either way?

Plug the 6 pin connector directly into the card and use one molex adaptor for the other card input.
DO NOT take all the power from a single 6 pin connector, DO NOT take all the power from a single molex adaptor, you risk damaging the PSU or its wiring.

kingkong8

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Ok, I can definatly see why you wouldnt want to use the same power cable for multiple inputs on the card.

But I'm kinda curious why I need to use the molex adaptor for one input and a 6 pin connector straight from the PSU for the other input. Is this just a safe practice because then you definately know that the two power inputs on the card are not drawing power from the same cable? Or is there something else going on?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The adapter is only for people that do not have the correct pin configuration. If you have the open 6pin directly from the PSU you should never use the adapters.

Coozie was just pointing out that, if you do have to use the adapter, there are safe and unsafe ways to use them. Generally speaking adapters are not ideal and should be avoided if possible.

The adapters are just to cover the bases in case you have an old PSU. Avoid them like the plague if you can.

I think I misread your original post Kingkong8.

If you have two 6 pin connectors, then use them directly, do not, as Daedalus685 says use the converters unless you have to.

Most power supplies have two bundles of wiring for the drives, I prefer to use one for the hard drives/DVD drives, the other for the card, not sure if this is needed but it seems sensible.