I am under the impression that when you set up RAID, you have to allow the controller to take storage in entire disk chunks. Specifically, you can't make two partitions on a drive, use one for part of a RAID set, and put a normal NTFS volume on the other.

Is the use of partitions for RAID storage impossible, common, or rare and limited to certain controllers? If possible, include a link to the relevant manual, so I can learn a little more.

Thank you.

Solution
I don't know of any hardware-level RAID implementation that can put existing disk partitions together into a RAID set because they all work at the physical sector level and ignore higher-level data structures like partition tables.

But software RAID can do it.
I'm pretty sure that the fellow in the other post who wanted to partition his RAID volume was talking about first creating a RAID volume from the physical drives, and then partitioning the resulting logical volume so as to use only the first part of it. If you use only the first 25% of the logical RAID volume then you'll end up only using the first 25% of the cylinders on each physical disk.

True, but I'm asking this as a general question, not in support of that particular inquiry.

I don't know of any hardware-level RAID implementation that can put existing disk partitions together into a RAID set because they all work at the physical sector level and ignore higher-level data structures like partition tables.

But software RAID can do it.

Solution

Joeyb8775

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

This is an outstanding bit of information. Extremely useful. Good work by you sminlal.