Asus 4850 am i missing something?

wwb13

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
help please have tried all weekend to install this card,the problem is power up two red lights flash fan starts, then computer powers down,have tried allways to get it to boot but no luck am a newby so any advice would help thanks

pauldh

Illustrious
Did you plug in the 12V PCIe power cable?

What are your system specs?

PSU make and Model?
Max Combined Watts or Amps of the +12V rail(s)
What processor?
How many drives?
Anything overclocked?

The lights refer to a specific problem. It's normal if they flash at bootup, but not if they stay on. One of the lights means the 12V PCIe power connector not be attached, or too little 12V being supplied.

wwb13

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

hi this is all the info i have at present
mobo asrock n68pv-gs
processer and phenom 9650 quad
psu 500w not sure what make
the lights go out
the power cable is connected
not sure about the rest hope this helps

wwb13

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
hi tis is all the info i have at present
mobo asrock n68pv-gs
amd phenom 9650 quad
psu 500w not sure of make
the lights just flash fan starts
the power cable is connected
will try to find out more hope this helps

pauldh

Illustrious
Unfortunately it's not enough info.

With your case open, can you see a label on the PSU? Typically there is a visible label that would have the specs on it. Often cheaper PSU's do not include the important max combined 12V. But that is the important # we are looking for. Just knowing make/model will help.

Some 500W PSU's would have 34 Amps for the 12V rail (plenty for your system), while other cheaper / older models may only have a single 18A rail (not enough for your system).

If adding the video card caused the problem, you very well may not have a good enough PSU.

wwb13

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

Looked in the case it says on the psu PUMPS ATX 500204?
OUTPUT V 3.3-32
5-33
12-18
-12-0.8
-5-0.3
INPUT 10A
5A
This was all a bit blurred but am sure that what it says,the guys from asrock seem to think its a psu pro would you be maybe tell me a make that will provide ample power thank

There's the problem no doubt..... 12v-18amps..... stay away from the "you gotta get a 500watter" BS. If you're not going to do any more upgrades get a power supply that has at least -- 26 AMPS -- on the 12 volt rail. This will ensure no problems for what you have. For me, I'd get something in the 30's. ( forget about WATTS.......

I'd rather have a "10" watt PSU and have 50 amps-- than have a "50" watt PSU and have 10 amps ) This is where it seems too many people mess up.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, that indicates that the 12V rail only has 18 amps.. which would be the issue for sure (what kind of PSU lists itself as 500W with only 216W on the single 12V rail? rediculous of a company really, I'd love to see how they figure it can handle 500W... lol. I suppose at 'peak' for a few 10ths of a second..)

Anyway, a nice PSU that will be plenty would be something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Shopping by wattage wouldn't be so bad if the wattage was actually the combination of the sustained amps * voltage like it should be. But many cheep-oh brands list the wattage as the "max peak" which has absolutely nothing to do with sustained current draw at all. It is shifty buissiness for sure, but what a lot of folks do and why we have to be careful. Frankly, rating the PSU he showed the specs of as 500W seems bordering on false advertising and entirely fake specs..

The corsair I linked is rated at almost TWICE the current on the 12V as the OP's psu, yet is rated more properly at 450W instead of a seemingly arbitrary magic value of 500W..

Though even still, I don't understand why the rated Wattage isn't just the combined 12V now a days.. it seems pointless toinclude 3.3V or 5V in the specs.. At any rate, i could go on...

wwb13

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

thanks for all that info great help do any of you guys know anything about a psu JEANTECH-JNP 700 STORM

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Never heard of that company, so long as you get the specs and it provides enough amperage it should be alright though. But be careful with multi rail psu's as there is no guarnatee they have the correct rail dispersal for the PCIe connections unless they get ALI or crossfire certification.

I would avoid any PSU brands that are not larger names, such as PC PnC, Corsair, OCZ, Antec, etc.

So long as you check the specs first, even a cheep PSU can be made to work, but don't go by the wattage they state on the box.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, that would be your problem. As these guys said, do yourself a favor and buy a decent brand with enough +12V rather than buying a higher watt no-name PSU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-undervolt-efficiency,2134.html
As an example: In this review I had no problems running a tame overclock with an E8500 + HD 4850 on a 380W PSU. But this 380W Antec is rated with 27A combine +12V. With a 65nm Phenom you may want to play it safe with 30A. Keep in mind, you can't just add up the rails. Sometimes two 17A +12V rails are rated at 34A combined, other times they could be far lower.

The Corsair mentioned is nice. Not sure where you are located, but one like this would also do the trick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006