Question about GFX Card Chipsets

0x2eleven

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I'm confused about graphics card chipsets. If ATI is making a graphics card, why can I find a bunch of the same cards with names like Sapphire, Vision Teck, and Power Color on them instead of ATI? What's the difference?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
ATI/Nvidia design the stock cards and makes the GPU itself. The actual cards are usually put together by another company who then sells them.

ATI cards are made by sapphire, xfx, HIS, ASUS, Powercolor, etc.

Nvidia cards are made by BFG, EVGA, ASUS, XFX, etc.

0x2eleven

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks.

Does each company add different things that make their product better or worse, or is each one essentially the same thing in different packaging?

Normally companies just differ when it comes to the name and specs.

Ex : BFG GTS 250 1GB is the exact same Card as the EVGA GTS 250 1GB. The only difference here is that one card might be factory overclocked and have a slightly different cooling design. But they are almost identical when it comes to performance. So yes, if you are comparing 2 different companies with the exact same card (specs), the only thing that is different is the brand. Not all brands have the same warranty and that is normally the decision maker. At least for me, i only buy BGF and XFX cards since they have lifetime warranties. This way if ANYTHING happens I don't have to shell out extra money in the future, just a simple RMA and back to playing games.....