Wich memory should I buy? 1600 or 2133?

jml90

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hi, I'm sorry for my ignorance. I've never overclocked a CPU and I don't have plans to do it now, but maybe I could do in the future when the speed of the CPU doesn't satisfy me. I'm building a computer with a i7 2600K processor and a Z68 motherboard, I want the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO. The mother works with DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 RAM. Of course the 2200 works at 2133, so it's a waste. For now I'll using the CPU without the overclock, because it's not neccesary for now. But like I say, maybe in two years where the games or apps need a faster CPU to work well I will overclock. And the thing is about the RAM. I heard somewhere that 2133 RAM won't work without overclock. Is that true? Should I get a 1600 or 2133 RAM? Considering that i won't overclock the CPU from right now.
Thank You

Solution
On Sandy Bridge systems, overclocking the CPU is completely independent of RAM speed. It doesn't overclock like AMD CPUs or other Intel CPUs. You can use 1333 RAM with a fully-overclocked 2500K if you want.

I'd say the price/performance sweet spot is 1600 CL9 RAM running at 1.5v. I recommend Corsair Vengeance, G.Skill Ripjaws, G.Skill Ripjaws X, and G.Skill Sniper RAM. You can certainly get 2133 RAM if you want, but the small performance gain isn't worth the extra price.
On Sandy Bridge systems, overclocking the CPU is completely independent of RAM speed. It doesn't overclock like AMD CPUs or other Intel CPUs. You can use 1333 RAM with a fully-overclocked 2500K if you want.

I'd say the price/performance sweet spot is 1600 CL9 RAM running at 1.5v. I recommend Corsair Vengeance, G.Skill Ripjaws, G.Skill Ripjaws X, and G.Skill Sniper RAM. You can certainly get 2133 RAM if you want, but the small performance gain isn't worth the extra price.

Solution

You'll get the maximum end result performance from the 2133 bandwidth preferably at 1.5v for cooler operation, I make that statement from my own actual tests testing from 2133 down to 1066 and adjusting the CAS levels to accommodate the speed changes, absolutely no lower settings beat the 2133s CAS 9 benchmarking performance.

Take that for what it's worth to you, if you're after all the performance you can squeeze out of it, go with the 2133. Ryan