Was it wise to get extended warranty on LCD?

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I just got a Samsung 191t at CompUSA and I opted to go for the 2 year warranty which protects against damaged pixels. It cost an extra $109.00 dollars and I'm wondering if it was worth it? I can still get the extended warranty taken off if I want. The monitor cost $899.99 but I got a $100.00 mail in rebate which brings it down to $799.99. Samsungs site says they warrant these units for 3 years but I'm unsure if they warrant damaged pixels. If anyone has had experience with Samsung and LCD monitors please help me make a choice on whether I should keep the extended warranty or return it. Thanks!!

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by groth2757 on 11/01/02 09:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

acesea

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Well, check this, if your only worry is dead pixels...
at the store, have them bring out the boxed brand new monitor. And ask them if you can see it hooked up. They will have no problem with it, i asked before. Plug it into a pc, change the screen to black, then to white and check for dead pixels. There you go, no need for extended warranty ;)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Um actually u need more colors. The basics are red green blue. So first have all white, then all black, then red, then green, then blue. The <A HREF="http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/monitors/test/mon_test.zip" target="_new">Nokia Monitor Test</A> has this option for testing.

dusijtpmo- don't use stupid internet jibberish to piss me off

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Well I bought it last night and hooked it up last night. Not one single dead pixel in sight. Flamethrower thanks for the test link. I think I'm going to go back to CompUSA tomorrow and get a refund for the warranty I bought. The nice thing about the warranty though is if something does happen to the monitor they give you what the original monitor was worth towards the replacement, that is if the original is not available anymore. But $109.00 dollars is a lot of money for a 2 year warranty I'll probably never use! Thanks again for the help guys!!!

By the way this monitor is SWEET!!!!

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
By the way...I never connected you to the other post. My dead pixels on the 191t didn't show up until day 4. I would hold off the refund on the guarantee until the last minute...should be two weeks.

Bob

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
To late. I already got a refund for the warranty yesterday. I've had the monitor for 3 days now and all pixels are still running strong. Did you exchange out the 191t or did you just return it? Maybe I should of waited for the Hitachi!!!

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Returned it! Waiting to see what the Hitachi is going to be like. Should know by week end. My real desire is an 18", but that seems to be impossible at this point. The sweet spot seems to be the 17" or the 19". I'll get a gander at the Hitachi (by the way...I still have two Hitachi CRT's and have always liked their products...good support too!).

Bob

G

Whilst I see you have gotten rid of the warranty on your product, you may have acted in haste for such a costly product. Should anything go wrong on the product the warranty would have saved you alot of time and money on the product instead of having to take the costly route of claiming on your house insurance, this article by No Claims Discount should provide you with more information and may change your mind on the matter;

http://hubpages.com/hub/ExtendedWarrantyTreatment

obviously that all being said I hope nothing goes wrong with it in the first place in which case there will be no need for all this warranty talk, but always better to be safe than sorry in my books.
:)
Hope this helps, Scott.

G

My apologies this was the message I ment to send, ignore the prior one.

Whilst I see you have gotten rid of the warranty on your product, you may have acted in haste for such a costly product. Should anything go wrong on the product the warranty would have saved you alot of time and money on the product instead of having to take the costly route of claiming on your house insurance, this article by No Claims Discount should provide you with more information and may change your mind on the matter;

http://www.noclaimsdiscount.co.uk/news/art_display.php?show=200902031

obviously that all being said I hope nothing goes wrong with it in the first place in which case there will be no need for all this warranty talk, but always better to be safe than sorry in my books.

Hope this helps, Scott.

WTF is going on here?!?!?!?!?!?

So far this year I have seen at least 10 dead threads being resurrected!!!!!!

Threads that have been inactive for over 1 year should be locked. Since this one was dug up from the grave (2002) it serves to be a good example.