James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I use an old (1982) DOS based spreadsheet program called
Multiplan which was the first Microsoft spread sheet. I
use Excel for a lot of items but the Multiplan has a
number of features that I like that are not in Excel.

The multiplan runs on my 1.7 meg RAM XP system except ONE
spreadsheet that is too big. I get an INSUFFICENT MEMORY
message. I resort to keeping a WIN98 system (768 MEG
RAM) that I use for this spreadsheet.

Since the spreadsheet loads on the 768 MEG system and not
on the1.7 MEG XP system I know that my problem with the
XP system is not lack of memory but improper memory
management.

I went into the CONFIG.NT file to see if I could edit or
add a line for the EXPANDED MEMORY MANAGER. The
CONFIG.NT file has instrutions for using the EMM command
but does not have a pure example of the syntax. I have
tried about 6 different syntax variations but got error
messages on the load up. I went on the MICROSOFT
knowledge base looking for help but found nothing . Do
you have any idea of how I enable the EMM???

James K Krapf CPA JIM4202@aol.com

I have a Win 3.1 program that gets the message "The Win 16 Subsystem
has insufficient resources to continue running..."

I went to the executable, right-clicked it, and clicked the
compatibility tab. I put a check next to "Run this program in 256
colors". After I did that the program runs fine. I just changes the
display to 256 colors while the program run, and then puts it back to
the normal setting when I close the program.

I am running Win XP home edition.

Brian