2600k Only 50% hits 4.4ghz-4.5ghz?

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
Based off this article, the statistics are quite scary. You're paying $300 for this cpu and only 50% of the people will get the performance that is expected from this cpu. I'm building a new system during the summer and I aim for a stable 4.5ghz but after reading this article it is now questionable if I'll be lucky enough to hit that speed. I just want to verify the information presented is accurate considering what I've seen the forums, there has not been single case of a low overclock with these chips. Some people prefer a lower clock to remain the stock voltage but that's a different story. Lets exclude the obvious explanation such as the cooling as I'm planing to get nh-d14 so cooling should not be a problem. So in general what does it take for the 2600k to clock to 4.5ghz? At what voltage on average? And how accurate is this 50% theory? I'm not looking for an overkill clock of 5ghz just something that will get the job done :p

The second-generation Core series CPUs are all quite powerful at stock speeds. For the vast majority of users, it's not actually necessary to overclock at all -- especially since the CPUs overclock themselves with Turbo Boost.

I would say the number of 2500K/2600K CPUs that will hit 4.5GHz is actually higher than 50%. I'd go as far as saying 75% or so will do that speed. I do know of several forumites who cannot get above 4.2GHz though.

1.3-1.35v is the average voltage required for 4.5GHz overclocked speed.

To keep a Sandy Bridge happily overclocked for the long term:
1. Keep the peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC
2. Keep the CPU voltage below 1.4v

I don't know about "okay" -- your CPU's service life will be reduced by running it at that voltage. How much reduction? No idea ... it could last five years or die in six months.

I run mine at 4.8GHz with 1.504v and have a real water cooling setup keeping the peak Prime95 core temps at 61ºC or below. So far it's been running like this for five months. It will die early, but I am willing and able to buy a new CPU when this one dies from excessive voltage. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything over 1.4v for most overclockers.

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

From all over the forum 4.5ghz is considered as an easy overclock or that's the impression that I'm getting from all the other users. Then the article comes along saying that only 50% are capable of clocking to that speed. I mean what else am I suppose to expect when everyone is hitting over 4.7ghz?

4.5GHz is certainly easy, assuming the CPU is capable of it.

1. Set CPU voltage to 1.3-1.35v
2. Set CPU multiplier to 45x
3. Save and exit

Finding out whether you can go higher can be quite a bit more challenging. Getting 4.7GHz is quite a bit less common than getting 4.5GHz speed.

My 2500K does 4.5GHz on 1.328v, but the voltage requirements quickly ramp up with each 100MHz step -- 4.6GHz on 1.360v, 4.7GHz on 1.408v, and finally 4.8GHz on 1.504v. It will actually boot into Windows at up to 5.1GHz, but it gets hard freezes or BSODs soon after.

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

wow you must have picked one bad chip. If you have the money to burn then sure get another chip however I'm trying to get the best fro the price.

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

so what voltage do u set to maintain a 4.5ghz on ur chip? I mean you need a pretty high voltage to get the 4.8ghz

I edited my earlier post to include that info.

Not even close. I do think that ASUS post was accurate when talking about less than one percent of Sandy Bridge CPUs getting 5.0GHz.

4.5GHz is pretty common, but even 4.6GHz and 4.7GHz are quite a bit less common. Only about 10% can hit 4.8GHz like mine.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I would not let such as statistic stop you from purchasing the chip. Firstly, 4.2 ghz is a very good overclock and you can expect to get that as a minimum. You don't get that on most other chips

Secondly, for 99% of tasks you will not notice the difference between 4.2 and 4.4 ghz, or for that matter 4.5, 4.6 ghz. Besides, you can always squeeze out another 100-200 mhz by raising the BCLK

My chip will boot @ 4.8 ghz, but not at 4.9. 4.5 is fine for me, don't notice the difference, and don't have to worry about heat or voltage

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

You know what? Even at stock speed this is a powerful chip and is capable of almost anything that you throw at it. Considering that this is the 2nd gen i7s it is well expect. However we all want the best performance for the cheapest price so overclocking farther is always better right :kaola:? But I guess I'll just have to wait and see how lucky I get. Wish there was a way that I can the chip like picking woman but the batch method no longer works haha.

scuur

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I got thte p8z68 Deluxe I love it the only thing you need to do when you get it if you have a have a double post problem is set your blck to 100 instead of 103