Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corrupt files. Failing storage drive?

Last response: in Storage
March 10, 2011 4:50:45 AM

Hello, I've been working on a portfolio for college and have been saving numerous PSD, JPG, and PDF files. I used Acrobat X, Lightroom 3, and Photoshop to develop and finish up the projects.

The problem is, some of the JPGs wouldn't open, and when I tried to import it into Lightroom or Photoshop, either program wouldn't respond for a while then give me a crashed image 5 minutes later.

And for the PDF dilemma, the large, uncompressed PDF file seems to be corrupted, as I cannot access it in any way. It stops responding and closes after a few minutes. However, the 17 MB compressed version opens up perfectly. This only started happening as soon as I started to mess with Lightroom 3 to edit .NEF files from my Nikon.

I'm beginning to think my 1TB WD Green (Storage drive) is starting to fail because when I play music from this drive via Zune, it is very choppy. I also tried playing some movies off it, but the playback is fine. However scrubbing back and forth is notchier than usual. The sound takes about 4 seconds to catch up with the video.

I'm also suspecting my primary OS drive might be failing too. It's a 250GB WD Blue. I bought it a year ago used, and I think it's about 3 years old now. The WD Green is less than a year old, and I bought it brand new. It's always been a storage drive.

SO what I want to know is:
-Why are my files corrupt? Could it be Lightroom that's messing everything up?
-Which one of my drives, if any, is failing? The 250GB Blue drive has gotten slow over the past few months, and I haven't formatted it in 8 months or so.

Thank you

Edit: Just noticed the JPGs I was able to see just fine days ago aren't showing up in Windows Photo Viewer. What's going on?!
a b G Storage
March 10, 2011 2:52:05 PM

Check you event logs. Any disk errors?

Run the disk manufacturers software diagnostic utility.
m
l
March 11, 2011 1:16:26 AM

^Thanks, will try that.
Today I got a Chkdsk scan at bootup for my storage drive. It hung up at the last part for about 2 hours, so I bypassed it and logged on. There seems to be no problem with the drive, but the OS boot drive is very slow. Took about 10 minutes to boot up fully.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2011 4:33:35 AM

So I ran the diagnostics tool, and it failed on the WD Green. I got this message:

06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!

Is it dying?
m
l
a b G Storage
March 11, 2011 3:49:46 PM

You might also try the extended test. But my sense is your drive is suffering from bad sectors which is fairly common. If so you are talking a logical data recovery operation which is something you could do yourself but it's not real easy.
m
l

Best solution

March 13, 2011 8:36:37 AM

"Is it dying? " Yes, indeed. Is developing bad sectors and that shows SMART information. You should copy data to another hard disk drive.

Tara_Patrick is right, be aware that the hard disk drive is cooled because one of the most ecounter cause for hard disk mallfunction is high temperature. You can check hard disk temperature provided by SMART ( your mainboard software or a Flobo Hard Disk Repair shows current temperature).

In your case I don't think you will be able to repair your disk, but you might try to low format it and in the best case you could use the hard disk to store only un-important data.

Succes!
March 13, 2011 8:51:42 AM

Weird that the low powered 5400 RPM Green drive is dying instead of the faster Blue drive which I use for the OS. Both are in the same bay, and I've had the Blue drive for over a year. The Green drive in only 8 months old.

I'm transferring data as we speak, and half of the data (pictures and PSD files) are corrupted :/ . It's also taking ages to transfer. ~40 minutes have passed and only 500MB of data have been transferred.
m
l
March 20, 2011 12:21:32 AM

Best answer selected by jkwonman.
m
l
!