Computer freezes after windows logo

eeroo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Yesterday when I turned on my computer, it would say "Display Driver nvlddmkm Stopped Responding and Has Successfully Recovered." everytime i turned on a game. so someone told me to download forceware for it and it still did not work so I uninstalled both my graphics driver and forceware.
There were still some stuff left so i deleted them to the recycling bin.
after that I installed a different version of the graphics driver for my video card and restarted my computer.

now it freezes on a blank screen forever after the windows logo loading screen. so i tried restarting it and going to safemode and deleting that video driver and now it allows the computer to work after the logo. so i installed a different version of the driver again and the same thing happens. it becomes blank after the logo. I tried a different version everytime. This paragraph got repeated for two days with no luck.

I even downloaded 3 different registry cleaner AND reformated my os and this still happens within the cycle.

I have
i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5P
9gb ram
ocz 750w

Did you install the mobo chipset drivers? Did you install the mobo chipset drivers before the video drivers?

The order that you install drivers and windows updates can make or break a windows install. As a rule of thumb,after installing the OS, install the windows updates and drivers in the following order:
1) Mobo chipset drivers
2) Windows updates
3) Video drivers
4) Audio drivers
5) Other peripheral drivers (printer, scanner, misc USB devices, etc)

Lastly, NEVER use the drivers on the CD that came with the mobo, video card, audio card...ALWAYS download the latest drivers from the appropriate websites.

Good luck!

What do you mean by "reformatted"?
If you did do a new install, you will need to reinstall all the drivers for the motherboard. There should an install DVD or CD that came with it.

Driver cleaner software, registry cleaner software, and deleting system files directly to the recyle bin.
These are THE 3 fastest things you can do to really screw things up. Period.

Always use the uninstall programs that came with the software, or the add/remove software feature in Windows. Nothing else.

Well gotta disagree a little with here, the drivers that came with the hardware are a good place to start, to get everything up and going.
But once that is done, I do agree that then you should go to the manufactures site and get the newest version for what you have. Especially the video card. Everything else is usually just fine, unless you are having a problem that new drivers have been written to correct.

eeroo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Yes I have installed the chipset and lan drivers first then the graphics. but this blank screen after the windows logo loading screen happened before i reinstalled the os too.

Kari

Splendid
just a thought, maybe the driver defaults to some refresh rate or resolution that isn't supported by the monitor. Try booting into safemode and setting the reso and refresh rate. User changes should stick when booting normally into windows next time...

eeroo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I dont think the drivers are fully installed because it only doesnt work when it is in the process and when it asks to restart and i do to complete it, then it becomes blank after the windows logo loading screen.

and if it is fully installed, how do i change the refresh rate from the driver? because doesnt safemode disable the driver?

Kari

Splendid
just use the windows desktop/display properties/settings, the driver should pick them up in the next boot up. This 'trick' has worked for me in the past with old ati drivers, and I guess it could work for nvidia as well

tvshub

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I'm having a similar problem with the Sony Vaio (all-in-one) freezing at bootup on the XP logo. I seem to have found that the hardware accelerators (video) may be the issue. By setting boot.ini to /basevideo, the problem didn't occur; subsequently, the reso came up 640x480, not pretty. So, on the display property settings, under advanced tab, locate the accelerator slider and move it far left. Set your reso to your preferred and give it a try. You may or may not notice much difference in performance under normal use. So far, this has solved my problems. Hope it helps yours. Oh yes, I put boot.ini back to normal.