IS this worth buying? i7 Gaming Rig

carfanatic1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
He is asking for $1800 + i pay shipping and presumably customs charges. So around $2200 all in

Here are the specs:-

1. ASRock X58 Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
3. SUPER TALENT Gold Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
4. I7 920 Intel Cpu At 3.5ghz that's 8 threads running at 3.5ghz equivalent to 28ghz of raw power.
5. 1 Terabyte Hard Drive
6. SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5
7. DVD and CD Burner combo
8.Alienware Area 51 Gaming case

PLEASE HELP! OUr arrangement is I pay half + shipping then on delivery I pay the rest.

I currently have a 30 inch ACD ( apple cinema display ) which runs at 2560x1600. I was looking at switching the GPU for the eVGA GTX 295 CO-OP. PLease don't discuss the eVGA card or anything else, I just want to know if this is a good system and how highly would you rate it?

seer37

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Seems to be a good system, maybe a skotch bit overpriced, but since someone else is building it, have to pay them for their time etc. I'd say all the components are pretty top notch, maybe just a tad overpriced. Here is what I'd do.

Does it include an OS? If it were me, I'd go down to a 640gig WD drive, it has less platters, lot more stable, and very fast for a 7200rpm drive, great for gaming.

You're also prob paying a premium for the alienware case vs say an Antec case.

I'm sure I'll take some slack for recommending this, but if youre going to go to the GTX295, I'd probably suggest doing SLI with the GTX 275, prob get better performance, and better cooling since each GPU is cooled vs the 295 being 2 gpu's 1 cooler.

I'm sure performance will be a bit better, but that's just me. I could be completely wrong too

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
You could build it yourself for less. My question is, how reputable is the seller. The seller is not Alienware I am assuming because they do not list where their components come from usually (except for cpu, graphics card). Nor do they have such a strange payment method. I would worry about the credibility of the person. Is the machine really going to be well made, is this just a scam, how did this person obtain the case, etc... These are questions you should ask yourself. Make sure the person is reputable. I would not trust $1100 to this guy before receiving my machine. You are better off building it yourself or buying from a more reputable seller. By the way, to the the best of my knowledge, Alienware has not sold their cases in a long time. They used to, but don't do it anymore. This means the case is used, gutted at time of arrival (unlikely), or this is simply a scam.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
For 2200 You can build a system yourself that is far more powerful then that system. For 2200 you are only getting a factory overclocked intel core i7 920? with 6GB of ram?.....For that money get like a intel core i7 940 or 950 or a intel core i7 965 extreme. Get 12Gb of 1600mhz ram. And get a 128GB SATA II 3GB/s solid state along with a GTX 295 or a SLI 285s. And 1kw PSU. And instead of an alien-ware, get a high quality Lian-li gaming case :)

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
For the sake of avoiding scams and overpriced PCs...

BUILD.

IT.

YOUR.

SELF.

We'll make recommendations as to how you should approach that seller, but in the end we're going to hint at the end of each message that you should build it yourself, and then we'll hang out with you till the bitter end on the new PC you decide to build.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
"4. I7 920 Intel Cpu At 3.5ghz that's 8 threads running at 3.5ghz equivalent to 28ghz of raw power."

This guy is trying to misinform you.

Build your own PC.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
If you really want a pre-built i7 gaming machine, just walk into Best Buy/Futureshop and buy the Gateway i7 machine...here in Canada it's like $1599CND without the monitor....

For the sake of not getting scammed, buy it at a reputable seller or build it yourself like everyone else is saying...

It's not bad for a prebuilt PC. The "28GHz" of power is wrong though. If you don't know why then you probably won't understand me explaining it so I'll leave it at that :D. You may wanna see how it would stack up price wise to a similar build from Alienware or something first though.

Customs charges??? Where are you, and where would this be coming from?

The components are fine, but you must add in the cost of disposing of a 4870X2 in favor of a gtx295.

I would not do this without some sort of third party protection.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
If you're in Canada, get something from NCIX.com, their prebuilts are much more reasonably priced, and you can even get a factory OC. If you can't just build it yourself. And WTF would you buy a 4870X2 and then swap it out? You'd be much better off quadfiring it - Cheaper, too, unless you can flip the 4870X2.

It's personal preference, but I wouldn't build a $2200 system around an Asrock board.

The gold series supertalent @ 9-9-9-27 isn't up to par with the systems price tag.

I think your getting ripped....

The parts you list sell for ~ $1,375 at Newegg ignoring MIRs and excluding case, keyboard, mouse, and OS.

Assuming a case valued at $100, an OS at $100, and no keyboard/mouse . . . call it $1,600 which means $200 for shipping parts in to your builder, assembly, and testing.

Not really a bad deal, though you might want to change out a few parts.

The real question is "Is he reliable?". As pointed out above, a couple of things don't add up, but that's YOUR call.