Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low FPS on BFG GTX 260 OCMaxCore

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2009 6:46:01 AM

I've been getting low FPS on most of my Games
usually around 22 FPS

Phenom x3 8750 OC to 2.80GHz atm i have stock cooler.
BFG GTX 260-Core 216 OC MAXCORE load temps 54C never goes above that.
3GBs ddr2 800Mhz Ram

I think its my power supply since i had gotten it for free
its a 700 Watt PSU XG Vortec 700
COuld this be the problem that its not giving it the juice it needs?

More about : low fps bfg gtx 260 ocmaxcore

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:00:36 AM

What resolution, details, xAA ??? Are you using ntune ???

More specifics? Do you have the output info (printed on the side of the PSU) ???

I went online and could not find any info, just websites that sell it w/o any specs,
July 13, 2009 7:08:19 AM

Well im using a 26 inch tv since i dont have a monitor cus it died a few months ago.

And i play games at 1280 x 720 Usually Team FOrtress 2, Arma 2 ( i know it has performance issues), CS:S, and um thats mostly what i play.
All games run same resolution.

Well the sticker is on the right side of the PSU facing the inside of case and i cant see it unless i take it off. But theirs a review on 500 watt version from some time ago and rates 38Amps on 12V rails thats on the 500 watt one and well i have the 700 watt.

im guessing it should be similar amps.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:17:59 AM

I would suggest finding someone, somewhere to connect your pc to a normal monitor. Then check your FPS. But before you do that, I would recommend you download ntune and make sure everything (settings) are correct.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:26:54 AM

You should at least be getting 100-150 FPS in CS with everything on low.

If your PSU has more than 46a on 12v rails it should do the trick. If it has less than you need a new PSU. The antec EA650 will power that card and it is not expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

July 13, 2009 7:29:50 AM

I download Ntune and well everything seems to be like it should be.

Any clue what might be the problem??

and by correct settings you mean they are not messed with at all?
If so no i haven't changed anything in settings aside from V sync Forced off.

GPU temp always idles around 40 C and load never goes beyond 52 C
so i odnt think over heating is a problem.

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:38:27 AM

No its not overheating (52c) is normal. Then the only thing that comes to mind is the PSU.

When I say settings I mean you should be looking in the "manage 3D settings" Tab and change the value to what you are looking for. Make sure you test the game with the option "High Performance" and compare FPS.

If that does not work then all I can say is the PSU is bogging down your 260.
July 13, 2009 7:41:25 AM

mm i tried it and i still get the same FPS i guess i hafta order a new PSU.

Know any PSU that will give it enough juice for less than 80$?
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:56:42 AM

And in the end if it is not the PSU, you don't have to worry, just return it for a FULL refund.
July 13, 2009 10:38:54 AM

Yo Check this out my PSU Shows this

Output _______|500 w|600 W|700 W
+3.3V_______|15A | 20A | 25 A
+5V _______| 40A | 45A | 45A
-5V _______|.6A | .6A | .6A
+12V1______|19A | 24A | 18A
+12V2______|N/A | N/A | 18A
-12V________| .6A | .6A | .6A
+5VSB ______| 2.0A | 2.0A | 2.5A

Well that what my power supply has on the top.

So im guessing it could either be the PSU that just sucks
OR
the Video card is malfunctioning.
I reseated the card, dusted( even though i just got it 3 days ago)
checked settings and set them to my own settings. Tried diff settings and still FPS
seem low.
Any clue anyone?
Or should i just take th card back were i bought it and get a replacement?
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 3:07:18 PM

Do you have a buddy with a pc you can use to test the video card? I would not return the card till I have tested it on another pc. Way too much of a hassle and you will have 0 video till you get your card back.

If I am correct and as far as your chart goes , it is showing 18a x2 <-- 700w, meaning you need more power. For the 260 (alone) you need at least 36a....
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 3:55:30 PM

Remove a stick of RAM and try again.
July 13, 2009 7:04:51 PM

OvrClkr said:
Do you have a buddy with a pc you can use to test the video card? I would not return the card till I have tested it on another pc. Way too much of a hassle and you will have 0 video till you get your card back.

If I am correct and as far as your chart goes , it is showing 18a x2 <-- 700w, meaning you need more power. For the 260 (alone) you need at least 36a....

Yes but 18x2 = 36 and in reality it wont ever use that much power. I've seen tons of sites were it shows that it uses max around 180 watts. Which means itll use the power of a single 12 volt.
Either way if the PSU doesnt do the full 18 amps it would still be more than enough if it does 15 amps or 12 its more than enought to power the card alone.
It says 36 amps for the whole system.

And like i said most of my friends dont have a gaming rig. As far as i know im the only one who has a gaming rig with a PSU over 450 watts. They play games but not as much as i do.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 7:09:36 PM

I used to have a 260 (core 216) paired with a 600w PSU that only had 19a x2 and it was underpowering my 260. Once I upgraded the PSU everything was fine. The 260 is a power hog IMO.
July 13, 2009 10:56:36 PM

So it still better to get a new PSU Then?
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 11:07:21 PM

The PSU is the heart of the PC. NEVER skimp on the PSU, as it will power everything on your computer. The first thing I do before I build is make sure the PSU has power to spare for future upgrades.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2009 11:36:22 PM

Overclocking your CPU wont fix your frame-rate issue trust me as i have played Crysis Warhead using a low-end Kuma 7750 CPU at 2.7Ghz and still get 30-50 frames using a single 250. In CS you should be getting at least 120-150FPS, meaning if all you can see is 20 frames then it has to be the PSU or 260.

You can still try overclocking your CPU, but i can guarantee you that the issue is elsewhere.....

Try downloading 3dmark05-06 and run it to see what happens......
July 14, 2009 1:47:39 AM

hmm i found this power supply with tons of reviews and people stated its really good

And its right on my budget.

is it good?
Never really got down to knowing the PSU brans lol

Btw i reseated card, reisntalled drivers and still same FPS'.

bleh ill get a new PSU and try it if not...well ill return it.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 1:55:35 AM

It is not a bad PSU, and should be more than enough for your card. I would save a lil more and get an Antec EA650. It might be 10-15 dollars more(Shipped).

Trust me this PSU will Bring-It.....And its wayyyyy more efficient.....
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 2:10:50 AM

Your PSU is more than enough for a single GTX260. You can even run a GTX280/285 on that thnig.

Inadequate PSUs do not cause low frame rates, they cause crashes/bluescreens/system hangs

I'd say your problem is with something else.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 2:47:32 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Your PSU is more than enough for a single GTX260. You can even run a GTX280/285 on that thnig.

Inadequate PSUs do not cause low frame rates, they cause crashes/bluescreens/system hangs

I'd say your problem is with something else.

Thank you for helping us out, for some reason I have never seen this issue. Do you think its the card?

I would suggest, remove the card and install it in another pc. that way we can discard the 260 and move on....
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 2:59:36 AM

OvrClkr said:
Thank you for helping us out, for some reason I have never seen this issue. Do you think its the card?

I would suggest, remove the card and install it in another pc. that way we can discard the 260 and move on....

No problem.

Yep, it could quite possibly the card...so testing it on another rig is a good idea if he can.
Also good be a driver issue.

@OP
should make sure he has the latest drivers, and if he has ever had ATI GPUs, download special programs to clean out ATI drivers from hard-to-reach areas.

Then we can move on to stuff like virus/memtest/etc...
July 14, 2009 6:04:57 AM

Well i have a Asus motherboard with a Nvidia chipset and have never owned a ATi card.

Ill take the card back to the store tomorrow and maybe get a replacement and if that wont fix it then well it could be the PSU.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 6:10:12 AM

I would test it on another pc first. That way you dont have to go through the hassle of returning it. If in the end it comes out to be a faulty card, then this will be the first time i see a video card act up like that...
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 6:22:46 AM

David1054 said:
Yes but 18x2 = 36 and in reality it wont ever use that much power.

You cannot simply add up the amps for the separate 12v legs to determine the total 12v capacity. The stated amount per rail is essentially the maximum possible and is affected by usage on the other rails, including the the 3.3v and 5v circuits. Good PSUs also show the maximums for their respective different limiting configurations, which are different for various PSUs depending on their unique construction.

For instance, on the Antec EW 650w PSU, if you take the stated amps for each leg and multiply it by the voltage, it calculated to 1,035w. Now the PSU can probably deliver more than 650w, but I doubt it will come close to 1,035w on any sustained basis.

Using the chart you provided for your PSU - it is not so bad in that the total calculates to 740 watts which is not a lot higher than the reported total. What does seem strange tho is that in that calculation, of the 740w, only 432 goes to the 12v rails while 225 goes to the 5v rails. Newer PSUs typically have a much higher percentage devoted to the 12v rails. The Antec EA 650w only has 25 amps on its 5v rail compared to the 45 amps on yours.

Also I do not recall seeing anything about the age of the PSU - you said you got it for free. Is it new or used. As you may know, the power output decreases over time. Forgive my suspicious mind but was there any reason you got it for free - or was it just a gift from a kind friend?

Just some miscellaneous thoughts that might bear on the issue - or not.
July 14, 2009 9:10:19 AM

Got it brand new. So its best be to upgrade the power supply?

SInce im getting the same FPS as a my old 9500 gt...

Or could my processor be bottlenecking the card which i doubt since i see older processors with better FPS in games with same video card and similar specs.

Ill upgrade my PSU then see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 2:21:24 PM

I dont see where you would have a bottleneck, like I said the best way to find out is installing the card in another pc so we can discard the GPU and move from there....
July 14, 2009 4:42:04 PM

i had the same problem with u, i have a phenom 9500 though, took me a 5 months to find about it since i didnt know what to look, just like you, at first i thought it was the psu, bought a better one, nothing change, then a vga, still the same, till i find out it was the cpu.

Google the words "phenom tlb fix" find a way to install this and watch your fps fly. Every phenom comes with an tlb patch (for erratum error) witch makes it slow on almost every game.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 4:50:12 PM

That could be the problem, depending when you purchased the chip. The TLB bug no longer exists as for the new chips. AMD has corrected this issue and hopefully it will be a thing of the past.
July 14, 2009 4:53:25 PM

For me it was like buying a new pc, fps doubled at every game.

Sad news is that AMD didnt inform its costumers about it, and fixing it via bios was not an option since vista enabled the tlb patch when u logged in.

Good luck in finding a way to disable the tlb patch.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 5:00:08 PM

He should be able to do it in the bios... Just google " TLB patch"....
July 14, 2009 5:07:29 PM

Even if he disables it via bios windows vista enable it again the sendond u log in, so its pointles to disable it via bios at first place. Trust me on this i spent 5 months trying to find an aswer and i know how he feels.

U need the applications found on net that disable it then u log in.

i am providing a link in witch u will find more info. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etInrz46UCc Try that and see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 5:10:10 PM

Well i do not know as far as Vista goes, but in XP all you have to do is disable it and you are done. Issue resolved....

So he is using Vista? Sorry I am trying to help 5 peeps at the same time.....
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 5:10:46 PM

Bassarnis said:
Sad news is that AMD didnt inform its costumers about it, and fixing it via bios was not an option since vista enabled the tlb patch when u logged in.

I used my Dell P4 compuiter for 4 years before I heard someone mention that Dell shipped them with only one hyperthread turned on. Checked mine and sure enough I had been using an intentionally crippled CPU for 4 years. Pretty shoddy of them - especially after hyping the advantage of its hyperthreading ability in their own sales literature. False advertising.
July 14, 2009 5:20:45 PM

David1054 if u use windows XP the answer is simple, download the latest bios for your motherboard and disable something called "tlb"

If thought u use vista the answer is more complicated. U need to donwload Crystalcpuid 415 (32 bit version only, doesnt matter if you use 64/32bit windows) and drop inside application's folder this

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18...

Try that one and have no more worrys about psu or vga, there are many like you out there, i was one too. Enjoy your pc :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 5:59:44 PM

Bassarnis said:
David1054 if u use windows XP the answer is simple, download the latest bios for your motherboard and disable something called "tlb"

If thought u use vista the answer is more complicated. U need to donwload Crystalcpuid 415 (32 bit version only, doesnt matter if you use 64/32bit windows) and drop inside application's folder this

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18...

Try that one and have no more worrys about psu or vga, there are many like you out there, i was one too. Enjoy your pc :) 

Thank you for helping us out on this issue. I have never had the TLB bug problem so I would not know what to do.....
July 14, 2009 6:04:53 PM

Dont even mention it! Always happy to help.

It just happened i was searching for gtx 260 stuff here and i saw david's post by chance so i created an account just to tell him that, i hope he reads it.

The video and the links i provided tell u exactly what u have to do. Keep it up guys!
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 6:10:09 PM

Ima give you a thumbs up just for going out of your way and helping David with his issue....
July 14, 2009 7:57:37 PM

Ha i will try it right now!!
I do have XP vista is ugh for me lol.

And thanks :D !
July 14, 2009 8:01:01 PM

Let us know how it turns out, never fixed that error in xp, only in vista so far.
July 14, 2009 8:25:25 PM

Bah cant find the thing in my bios!! D:
July 14, 2009 8:40:11 PM

Looks like u have to do it the hard way... Check above on what to do about vista, it should work. Also check the video i linked for more details on how to use the programs
July 14, 2009 9:53:02 PM

Bah i did the thing and well im still getting the same FPS, they increased a little . But in crysis im still getting the same amount.
In Team fortress its around the 18 - 24 in a battle place with alot of things going on.

it seems the same u_u
July 14, 2009 10:07:48 PM

Fps increacing a liitle is a nice change. i dont know about phenomx3 but in my phenom x4 fps doubled or even tripled in cpu demanding games like Gta IV. Are u sure u did everything correctly?

1) Make sure that tool runs everytime your computer starts.

2) Make sure the program runs with no errors, and u shoulg get the message : "Tlb disabled, phenom at full speed" "Autoclosing in 8 seconds."

3) run a 3dmamrk tool and note if there is any diference in cpu score

4) run a program called everest ultimate and run yout memory benchmarks to see if there is any difference

If u have theese messages appearing u did everything correctly.

Other than that, crysis is a very demanding game that pushes even the latest hardware to its limits
July 14, 2009 10:18:06 PM

do you have the card in a proper pci express 16 slot?

Is your motherboard pciex16 compatable? A pciex4 or pcix1 slot physically look the same but the bandwidth would be limited hence the limited performance.

Your gpu temps suggest it isn't being stressed try testing the card with Furmark and see if the temps climb any higher.

Just curious, does your psu have 2 6-pin pci power connectors or are you using a 2 4-pin to pci power adapter?
July 14, 2009 10:18:53 PM

Everest ultimate will help u compare your pc with similar pc's and help u find whats wrong, i noticed very high latency in my memory and a low memory bandwith that got me suspicius about the ram/cpu at first.

Here is what happened in my case but with vista instead of xp

July 14, 2009 10:30:38 PM

As u can see the stock phenom was at 5429 MB/s, to be honest before i disable tlb i was at 2800 MB/s. thats right as low as a pentium 4.

My advice: run every tool found out there to see if there is any diference with enabled/disabled tlb patch

If i were u, id go for vista 64bit too. your system is strong enough to handle it.
July 14, 2009 10:34:59 PM

About gpu temps, even if it is overclocked gtx 260 has a very powerfull fan, using a utility called evga precision and manually adjusting fan speed gpu speeds dont rise above 50 celsius under load and 40 in idle.
July 14, 2009 10:49:34 PM

gpu temps* dont rise above 50 (in 100% fan speed)
!