Sign in with
Your question

Made my mistake of going to a local repair shop!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
Last response: in Motherboards
December 16, 2009 3:12:16 AM

Hello everyone-first time poster and looking for knowledgeable individuals to assist me in my quest for computer knowledge!

The problem- Dead computer: no beeps, no activity inside of the chassis apart from several lights on the motherboard burning green as usual. The computer just would not respond to any of my requests!

Background- The computer itself has the following: 1. Asus P5E Deluxe X64 crossfire
2. Intel Quad 2.6 ghz core
3. Dual ATI 512 mb video cards XFIRE setup
4. 850 Power supply

My first assumption here was that it was a dead power supply. I purchased a brand new 850 watt power supply re-attached all power connectors to find my computer in the same state of non responsiveness. The lack of tools for diagnosing the internal hardware sent me off to find a local PC repair shop. Payed my 20 dollar diagnostic fee and was instructed that it was more than likely a failed mother board. I purchased a brand new Asus P5E Deluxe X64 Crossfire board (Identical board) and took it over to them. I received a call today telling me that the computer is still non responsive. They asked me to give them 24 hours and hopefully by then they could have the issue narrowed down by then.

In light of replacing the Power supply and motherboard I'm becoming extremely frustrated with there general lack of knowledge on how to accurately pin point my rig's issue.

If any of you seasoned gurus could shed some light on why this particular place cannot pin point my issue and what are you thoughts on the reason for my rig's death? Possibly some insight on how to rise it up from the grave!

Thanks for all help in advance!

More about : made mistake local repair shop

December 16, 2009 3:47:19 AM

dustinp said:
Hello everyone-first time poster and looking for knowledgeable individuals to assist me in my quest for computer knowledge!

The problem- Dead computer: no beeps, no activity inside of the chassis apart from several lights on the motherboard burning green as usual. The computer just would not respond to any of my requests!

Background- The computer itself has the following: 1. Asus P5E Deluxe X64 crossfire
2. Intel Quad 2.6 ghz core
3. Dual ATI 512 mb video cards XFIRE setup
4. 850 Power supply

My first assumption here was that it was a dead power supply. I purchased a brand new 850 watt power supply re-attached all power connectors to find my computer in the same state of non responsiveness. The lack of tools for diagnosing the internal hardware sent me off to find a local PC repair shop. Payed my 20 dollar diagnostic fee and was instructed that it was more than likely a failed mother board. I purchased a brand new Asus P5E Deluxe X64 Crossfire board (Identical board) and took it over to them. I received a call today telling me that the computer is still non responsive. They asked me to give them 24 hours and hopefully by then they could have the issue narrowed down by then.

In light of replacing the Power supply and motherboard I'm becoming extremely frustrated with there general lack of knowledge on how to accurately pin point my rig's issue.

If any of you seasoned gurus could shed some light on why this particular place cannot pin point my issue and what are you thoughts on the reason for my rig's death? Possibly some insight on how to rise it up from the grave!

Thanks for all help in advance!

Ok so we know its not your mb or power supply cause you replaced those. I can probably bet that its one or more components thats hooked into your mb. The easiest way to troubleshoot cpu problems is unhooking everything and trying to get your board to post with the least things plugged in as possible. So start with you new psu,cpu,and ONE stick of ram in the first slot. If no post then move the stick to another slot and so on. If that doesnt work then try the other stick and follow the same process. If things start to work than plug in ONE of you components(prolly start with your HD) and continue to turn off and plug another in.

One of your components are bad so you just have to find out which one by adding parts one by one.
Could be bad ram,video card or hopefully not a bad cpu.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2009 6:28:00 PM

I think the $20.00 was for a diagnostic fee, the words "more than likely" are not condusive of diagnostics. Diagnostics require the correct answer, unless the diagnostic states for $20.00 we will guess, results not guaranteed.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2009 6:47:25 PM

I agree with you Roonj which is why it's so very frustrating. There initial problem started with them not being able to remove my CPU heat sink. The only reason I took it to them was because I did not have a way to remove it myself and felt confident the repair shop would be able to assist me without breaking a sweat. My question apart from the main issue is this, if I can go to Google and find PC tools used to diagnose and quickly identify problems why do they not have these tools?

Back to the main issue: Aside from the obvious unknown hardware failure what was the cause of this issue? Was it just a freak instance or something associated with a poorly designed/built system? As of now I am still waiting to hear back from the shop, there next plan of attack was to try replacing cpu's with another to see if that will crank the system up. What are the common steps in diagnosing? I read the reply by Salamander and that seems so obvious but a real world solution nonetheless.
m
l
December 16, 2009 6:49:47 PM

You need to assemble your system outside of your current case. You could have an electrical short (metal touching metal somewhere it's not supposed to) Just lay your motherboard on a surface that doesn't conduct electricity (cardboard works nicely) and build your rig from there. As many components as you've replaced you should have a working system. If you had bad RAM, it would either give a beep error code during the POST or else you'd just have an unstable OS.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:06:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Rodney_ws and that was my thoughts as well. The guys at the shop said that with the new motherboard and power supply there was no change. I thought if the processor would have gone bad the system would still turn on but show an error message or would it remain dead?

Yesterday when I went to the shop it was on there work space area on some type of black mat thing. Is it possible the new power supply I bought was bad out of box?
m
l
December 16, 2009 8:00:14 PM

The one currently in the rig is a corsair 850w THX
m
l
December 17, 2009 11:59:54 AM

I've only seen two bad CPUs in many, many years of fooling around with computers. One I (carelessly) killed with WAY too much heat... in that case it took the motherboard with it. At work I encountered a dead CPU in a system that had experienced high temps for a long period of time. When you pressed the power button on that system, the system fans would spin at top speed, but no video ever appeared and there was no beep error code. Replacing the CPU solved all of that for that PC... but man, dead CPUs are a rare thing based on my experiences.
m
l
December 19, 2009 12:42:48 AM

Hey everyone thank you so much for the replys and the helpful suggestions! I thought I would be courteous and report back.

1. My computer is back and I am happily emersed in the world of Vanguard
2. The real and "actual" problem was the corsair 850 power supply I purchased was dead out of the box. I purchased another and took it back to the shop it was attached to the board and whaaalah my computer was perfect besides the original dead power supply.
3. Now I'm stuck with another motherboard (maybe time for myself to try building a system :p )

Thanks everyone my first experience in the forums was quite memorable!
m
l
!