Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help on gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 21, 2009 9:07:23 PM

For my first post, I'm asking for your help on my first build ever :heink: 
I'm searching for a gaming rig not to pricy, not to cheap. I've done some research and this is what I created for now:

Purchase date: beginning July

Purpose: Gaming

Propositions:
Case:Antec Nine Hundred II
Power:Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock 900W
Motherboard:Asus Rampage II GENE
Ram:Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 6 GB DDR3-1066 Tri-Kit
Graphix:XFX HD4890 Black Edition 1gb
Processor:Intel® Core i7-920
Hard disk:Samsung HD103UJ 1terra 7200rpm
dvd-reader/writer:Samsung SH-S222A

Crossfire: Maybe in the future
Pricecap: 1300€
(website: www.alternate.be (Belgien website))

My plan is to buy another HD4890 in the future and make a crossfire with the first one.
But.. being a noob in at building rigs I got some Questions:
- Is the motherboard well enough for a gaming rig or should I go for a more pricy one (like the P6T Deluxe V2 X58 from asus)
- Should I buy Ram memory with more mhz and try to clock the 920?
- Should I wait for the graphic cards with directx 11?
- ...
I hope you can help me with some good tips and some help optimising my rig, because I don't have a clue if this is going to furfill my needs ( I'm aiming to play GTA 4 at top quality :p  )

More about : gaming rig

June 21, 2009 9:31:21 PM

Someone?
June 21, 2009 9:41:32 PM

I wouldn't go near Kingston's ValueRAM (or any of their memory for that matter), long stick or no.

For 10€ more, here's what I'd grab:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

Hard drive is fine, but here's a way to save 6€:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

If you're worried about mobo performance, and instead you want a full-sized ATX motherboard (microATX on the Asus Rampage II Gene... I'll avoid microATX unless I want to build a portable machine for LAN parties, and in that case I'd buy a different case too. But since you're using the Antec 900 Two...) It'll cost you 10€ more than the Asus one.
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/summary/search.htm...

GTA 4 at top quality? GTA 4 is an example of a badly ported/coded game, and it's going to be irritating to max out settings when the game refuses to be responsive, but you should still be fine with a 4890... what monitor are you using?
Related resources
June 21, 2009 9:46:11 PM

mlcloud said:
I wouldn't go near Kingston's ValueRAM (or any of their memory for that matter), long stick or no.

For 10€ more, here's what I'd grab:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

Hard drive is fine, but here's a way to save 6€:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

If you're worried about mobo performance, and instead you want a full-sized ATX motherboard (microATX on the Asus Rampage II Gene... I'll avoid microATX unless I want to build a portable machine for LAN parties, and in that case I'd buy a different case too. But since you're using the Antec 900 Two...) It'll cost you 10€ more than the Asus one.
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/summary/search.htm...

GTA 4 at top quality? GTA 4 is an example of a badly ported/coded game, and it's going to be irritating to max out settings when the game refuses to be responsive, but you should still be fine with a 4890... what monitor are you using?


Doesn't the processor need an overclock to go to 1333 mhz?
+
Don't know Gigabyte that well as a brand, is it reliable?
edit: I'm planning to buy a new monitor ( Samsung T240 24inch)
June 21, 2009 10:19:28 PM

bump
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2009 10:24:00 PM

Toinooo said:
bump


Gigabyte is quality name in regards to motherboards. As the other poster stated, I would be wary of that Kingston RAM.
June 21, 2009 10:26:55 PM

K.. so with the gigabyte motherboard and the corsair ram it's a good setup?
June 21, 2009 10:36:25 PM

Don't you plan to overclock the processor? Anyway, if this is your first time overclocking and dealing with RAM speeds, just know that there are plenty of ways to manipulate the speed your memory runs at.

And do you think I'd recommend a board that wasn't reliable? In the end there still is a chance you'll get a board that won't POST, or will have bad memory slots, or some endless list of potential reasons to RMA a board... but that's every board, and the chance is still pretty small. The UD4P is a fine board, but you can wait for more opinions if you want. As you can see, you haven't got any yet and any different motherboard recommended will be a thing of preference more than anything else.

But if you insist, here ye are.
ASUS P6T
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...
P6T Deluxe V2
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...
June 21, 2009 10:38:11 PM

Why_Me said:
Gigabyte is quality name in regards to motherboards. As the other poster stated, I would be wary of that Kingston RAM.


Hiya Why_Me. I like your builds in other posts, but unfortunately our current target uses a Belgian website, eh?

Got to this guy first, at any rate :D 
June 21, 2009 10:42:47 PM

mlcloud said:
Don't you plan to overclock the processor? Anyway, if this is your first time overclocking and dealing with RAM speeds, just know that there are plenty of ways to manipulate the speed your memory runs at.

And do you think I'd recommend a board that wasn't reliable? In the end there still is a chance you'll get a board that won't POST, or will have bad memory slots, or some endless list of potential reasons to RMA a board... but that's every board, and the chance is still pretty small. The UD4P is a fine board, but you can wait for more opinions if you want. As you can see, you haven't got any yet and any different motherboard recommended will be a thing of preference more than anything else.

But if you insist, here ye are.
ASUS P6T
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...
P6T Deluxe V2
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...


Don't worry, I trust you :)  It's just because I didn't knew the brand that well. I'm probably going for the gygabyte mobo ( like mentioned, the down side of the GENE board is mATX ).

I'm probably going to try and clock the processor(indeed my first time).. planning to clock it to 3,33ghz. I read alot of articles about overclocking the i920.. I just don't know what to do with the ram.. :s
June 21, 2009 10:44:20 PM

mlcloud said:
Hiya Why_Me. I like your builds in other posts, but unfortunately our current target uses a Belgian website, eh?

Got to this guy first, at any rate :D 


If you want I'll give you speed course in dutch ;) 
June 21, 2009 10:52:16 PM

Lawl :p 
So..

Case:Antec Nine Hundred II
Power:Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock 900W
Motherboard:GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
Ram:Corsair DIMM 6 GB DDR3-1333 Tri-Kit
Graphix:XFX HD4890 Black Edition 1gb
Processor:Intel® Core i7-920
Hard disk:Western Digital WD1001FALS 1 TB
dvd-reader/writer:Samsung SH-S222A

Good rig? :o 
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2009 11:02:48 PM

Nice build. Also if you want to save some more money, check out this psu down below. PC Power & Cooling makes a quality psu, and this one will push two of those cards in SLI.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.alte... € 109
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Retail, 4x PCIe)

June 21, 2009 11:06:02 PM



I managed to navigate through the site, lol. At first I thought those links were error messages (I searched up a few memory brands and what not and it kept giving me other links instead of products! So I was confused until I actually clicked the links... Then I realized they were listing parts matching the company/product I was looking for!)

'Twas an interesting experience.

toinooo, fine build, although I'm interesting in how it will handle GTA IV.

4890 shown to handle it well:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4890,2262...

And another shown to handle it well:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=745&pa...

Good luck!!
June 21, 2009 11:08:09 PM

Why_Me said:
Nice build. Also if you want to save some more money, check out this psu down below. PC Power & Cooling makes a quality psu, and this one will push two of those cards in SLI.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.alte... € 109
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Retail, 4x PCIe)


noob question :p  : is 750 watt enough for a clocked cpu and 2 hd4890's in crossfire?
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2009 11:11:18 PM

Toinooo said:
noob question :p  : is 750 watt enough for a clocked cpu and 2 hd4890's in crossfire?


Yes as long as your not running multiple HD's. If so, then look at the Corsair 850w, otherwise that 750w will do just fine.
June 21, 2009 11:13:22 PM

Here's why_me's PROPER link:
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

Another one for 10€ more:
Corsair 750tx
http://www.alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=...

Although I bought a 750tx, I wonder what the difference between the two are? Same amperage on 12v rail, 750w, both non-modular, similar efficiency... Corsair just bought PCP&C and started making power supplies... I actually just recommend getting the Power and Cooling one for cheaper =/.

Edit: It takes me too long to write this stuff. *sigh*. 750w usually might not be enough because of shabby 12v rail construction that other companies might use.... but the PC P&C 750w PSU will run it well =).
June 21, 2009 11:14:47 PM

Why_Me said:
Yes as long as your not running multiple HD's. If so, then look at the Corsair 850w, otherwise that 750w will do just fine.


I'll take the 850w corsair then :p  just in case ;)  btw: the hd4890 Black Edition is standard clocked to 1000mhz.. Doesn't that need more wattage?
June 21, 2009 11:25:38 PM

Toinoo, the difference isn't all that large. The 750w corsair will run the 4890s comfortably, but hey, raising it to 850w should actually increase the efficiency (PSUs seem to run most efficient at about half to a-bit-more-than-half load) of the PSU! In other words, you're probably going to be near the 60%-70% mark with the 850w ;) .

So in the long run, you may actually end up saving money xD.
June 21, 2009 11:30:33 PM

mlcloud said:
Toinoo, the difference isn't all that large. The 750w corsair will run the 4890s comfortably, but hey, raising it to 850w should actually increase the efficiency (PSUs seem to run most efficient at about half to a-bit-more-than-half load) of the PSU! In other words, you're probably going to be near the 60%-70% mark with the 850w ;) .

So in the long run, you may actually end up saving money xD.


Superb :D  850 it is ! :) 

Thanks for all the help.. I think I got a complete gaming rig now ;) 
!