First System Build ~ $2000

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, everyone. I've been lurking at this site for quite a while, and I've finally got up the nerve and the finances to build my first computer. I want this thing to last for a while and will be running Windows 7 RC and eventually Windows 7.

Approximate purchase date: Between August and October

System usage: Gaming, media center (connected to HDTV/speakers), internet, coursework

Parts not required: I have a Bluetooth mouse, cheapo keyboard, and good speakers. I've already picked out a monitor.

Preferred website: Newegg, though I would go elsewhere for a significant price difference.

Parts preferences: Intel and nVidia; otherwise, I don't care.

Overclocking/SLI: Yes and Yes.

Monitor res: 1920x1200/1080p

Additional comments: I would prefer the quietest PC possible without liquid cooling.

Current Build

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard
Intel i7 920 Processor
CORSAIR Dominator 6GB (1600) RAM
PNY GTX 275 Video Card (x2)
Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
LG Bluray/HD-DVD Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB HD (x2)
Cooler Master Real Power Pro1000 Power Supply
Sunbeam CR-CTTF Core Contact CPU Cooler
Sunbeam LGA 1366 Mounting Bracket
Cooler Master 690 Case

Is this a viable build? Will it still be good down the road? Are there any areas where I could save money? I'm particularly concerned about the power supply. I'm not sure whether I need a 1000/1200W PSU.

Also, any suggestions on fans for the system would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea whether the 690's fans are good or how to install/choose third-party fans.

The Sunbeam is anything but silent. For that I would recommend the Noctua h/s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007 $74.99
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154003 $4.99
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

Then save yourself some money...like $80 on this combo down below. Do a google on "ewiz coupons" or "ewiz promo codes" and save another $5 - $15 on that combo.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P Combo Price: $492.99 Free Shipping
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CorssFireX & 3-Way SLI/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail

Now your going to lose some HD space on this next recommendation, but it's worth it for the speed, not to mention that Dominator is over priced IMO. Two of these WD Blacks beats two of those WD Greens any day. You can always pick up another HD, or even an external HD for more storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.199045 Combo Discount: -$7.00 Combo Price: $197.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Now for quite case fans....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573%2050002108%201372726538&name=120mm <--- Look for the Noise Level: / dBA rating on those fans, and also check the Air Flow and see what ones fit your budget and/or needs. Reading the reviews on there helps also.

The psu you have chosen is over kill. Try this Corsair down below. It's quality and more than enough to push that build of yours and then some.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009 $139.99 ($119.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
This is funny cause I'm building something very similar to what you are looking for.

Hmm... the time that you plan on purchasing is fairly close to the release of the i5, you might question whether or not of checking out the latest chip.

Anyways, I think the 1KW will be plenty unless your looking for triple SLI.

Also I'd upgrade the case, either antec 902 or 1200 =] they are very well equipped, large top fan and great cooling.
Otherwise it looks very solid.

btw what monitor are you planning on purchasing?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^+1, for 2 Grand, not getting a SSD is just a crime.

-All I suggest is make sure your ram is triple channeled, because you didn't quite specifiy and also, just a side note, you are never going to need 1kw with your setup, a 700watt or under would be more then enough.

The RAM he has in his post is tripple chanel. All his components are hyper linked.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Why_Me, your tips were fantastic. I''m swapping my RAM and hard drives for the combo deal you gave me and getting another Caviar Black, for 2TB total. I'm also changing out the power supply and CPU cooler. Basically, I did everything you said, sensei.

Xaira, Blackhawk, instead of a solid-state drive, I'm looking at a 300GB Velociraptor. I know it's slower than an SSD, but it's a damn sight faster than normal hard drives, and SSDs with the same capacity are $700+. I'll install my OS and programs/games on it and use the other two for media storage.

Itsgrandpa, I decided to go with your recommendation and get the 1200; it does look more solidly built. Plus, it's more stylish. My monitor is eventually going to be a Sony Bravia HDTV, but for now it'll be the Samsung 2343BWX. It's got top reviews, and I'm a fan of Samsung TVs. By the way, its native res is 2048x1152; if I play at 1920x1200, will it look weird?

Final question to everyone: I've seen good reviews on the Bigfoot Killer MC1 network card. Does anyone know if it's worth buying? I canceled my WoW subscription, but I plan to play The Old Republic when it comes out. I also download and upload a lot. Will it help for that?

Again, thanks, everyone. I'm new to this and your guidance is invaluable.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

They've got excellent reviews all over the place (Newegg, DesktopReview, even TH). Everyone says they're markedly faster, quiet, and a pleasure to use. I am getting two Caviar Blacks (1TB) for storage, though.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
well, normal hard drives are 7200rpm on average for most desktops, raptors are about 10,000rpm. I recommend getting a 15,000rpm hard drive if you aren't going with an SSD, since its the closest you can come with speed in hard drives, but remember solid states are revolutionary-level faster then any hard drive. Oh and you can always do raid 0 or raid 10 for much faster performance.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I do see your point, but I just don't have the cash to blow on an SSD right now. I'm not particularly keen on RAID, either; isn't it true that if one of your drives fails, you lose all your data? I just can't afford that kind of data loss.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Here's my latest build:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard (*Combo Deal)
Intel i7 920 Processor (*Combo Deal)
PNY GTX 275 (x2)
OCZ Platinum 6GB (1600) RAM (**Combo Deal)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD (**Combo Deal)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD (another one)
Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB
Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
LG Bluray/HD-DVD Drive
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound
Silverstone TJ10 Case (Black)
Logitech diNovo Slim Notebook Keyboard
AZiO BTD-V201 USB Micro Bluetooth Adapter

How's that look to everyone? Any suggestions? I know the TJ10 is expensive, but Lord is it pretty; I know that if I got the HAF or the 1200, I'd always want the TJ10. I decided not to go with RAID, because I don't want to pay $300 for a good hardware controller and then have it degrade on me. 2TB storage plus a 10K RPM OS drive is more than enough for me. Also, I was thinking of getting two sets of the RAM. Would I ever use 12GB? Would they fry the processor somehow? Again, thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions.