Performance power management features freezing system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone. I have a very interesting problem with my PC running Windows7 that I have never had before. Begining yesterday afternoon, my PC will randomly freeze whenever I use any intensive programs. No blue screen, no auto-restart, or anything of this nature. When I press ctrl+alt+delete nothing happens.

In my event logs, the following error is listed for every processor:

Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

I have done extensive searching online for a solution and have yet to find any. Hell, I even called the IT staff for the first time to ask them and they have no idea... I have messed with the Intel Speed Step in Bios, the power options in the control panel, and my CPU temps are in the low 30s and high 40s under heavy loads.

My system specs are:
Intel i7 920
EVGA x58 SLI
EXGA 295GTX
6gig DDR3
HAF932 case /w the V10 heatsink

If anyone knows of any solution or where I can find one, I would really appreciate it. As a GFX designer, I really need my PC to preform and as it stands now, it is basically unusable.

Thanks again,

Wes

I want to say it sounds like a thermal issue, but with temps in the 30s and 40s I don't see how it could be. Normally I recommend upgrading the motherboard BIOS, but my guess is that you've already done so.

If you're able to, try to test it with some of the RAM removed, to see if it's a possible RAM issue.

G

yup :/ and I tried testing the ram aswell....

Is there any way to completely turn off any Windows Power Management functions in Windows7?

cjgrasso

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
HAve u solved this yet?

I have an i7 920, evga x58, evga 295gtx, 12 gig corsair dominator, 850W power supply.

Im getting random restarts with no BSOD, and random freezes (more restarts though, daily, and random... could be watching a vid, could be surfing the internet, could be doing nothing.)

With no bsod i dont even know where to begin...

G

I was getting the hardware failure and a BSOD as well. To solve this I went into BIOS > Frequency > Voltage Control and enabled both Intel Speed Step and Intel HT Tech and changed CxE Function to C6. That solved it for me. Due to W7's built in pwr manager, if you don't turn these on there will be major issues. It might not be solve all of your problems but it should eliminate the "Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

nlheldt

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Did you guys ever figure this out i have to same error under Event Viewer and i get random screen freezes for about 2-5 seconds and comes back like nothing was wrong, it can happen during media players, youtube and so far starcraft 2, it can happen like once every 7 hours + or even longer at times, its so random.

jEdi-TRON

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I have w7 ultimate and was experiencing the same problems with my computer going into sleep mode and not being able to wake-up after moving the mouse or striking a key on the keyboard. Here is a possible solution that worked for me.

Go into POWER OPTIONS, select both "choose when to turn off the display" and "change when the computer sleeps". "turn off the display" = 20 minutes. "put the computer to sleep" = Never.

This is a temporary fix and really doesn't address the real issue but until a fix or an update becomes apparent this will have to do for now. Both my computer and I are very happy that we don't have to keep re-booting :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.