Sim City 4 Terrains/How to....?

Hi

I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built from sim
city 4

However, will it work with just Sim City, or does it have to be Sim
City/Rush Hour, which I have but disk 2(yellow one) is cracked, and
therefore it won't install....

I have installed Sim City 4 however.

Thanks in advance
Julia
25 answers Last reply
More about city terrains

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:43:02 GMT, "Julia"
    <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built from sim
    >city 4
    >
    >However, will it work with just Sim City, or does it have to be Sim
    >City/Rush Hour, which I have but disk 2(yellow one) is cracked, and
    >therefore it won't install....
    >
    >I have installed Sim City 4 however.

    Well, if I were you, I'd download disk 2 and install it. I'm not 100%
    sure but I see no technical reason why you would need Rush Hour, since
    all it really is is terrain and roads. Just look in the saved cities
    folder and move it to the SC4terrains folder in Sims 2, should work
    fine.

    Julia wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built from sim
    > city 4
    >
    > However, will it work with just Sim City, or does it have to be Sim
    > City/Rush Hour, which I have but disk 2(yellow one) is cracked, and
    > therefore it won't install....
    >
    > I have installed Sim City 4 however.

    You can just use SC4, the only extra you get with Rush Hour (or Deluxe)
    is that you are suppose to be able to use an extra type of bridge
    opposed to just one (although it will not work for me, I am only ably to
    use the "level road bridge").

    If you want you can download the "neighborhood view fix" from MTS2 and
    be able to use the whole SC4 map as neighborhood instead of only the
    middle half, the edges of the map are a bit funny, but I can live with that.

    Bianca

    Julia wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built
    > from sim city 4

    I would also like to know how to import custom nneighborhood maps, once they
    are downloaded...

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    You can only use the first four bridges you can see in Rush Hour (which were
    the ones that came with just SC anyway). You are very limited in what you
    can do for TS2 in Sim City - basically only terrain (the landscape), roads,
    trees and bridges will transfer. And the bridges generally need to be built
    on fairly flat land to transfer across properly - it's difficult to get it
    to work properly over a canyon (though it will work if you persist). I
    wrote a tutorial on how to do this a while back. You can see it on the
    Yahoo Group Sim_City_Central (with pictures) or I'll send it to you if you
    want (I think I put it in a Word file) (no pics).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Julia wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built from
    sim
    > > city 4
    > >
    > > However, will it work with just Sim City, or does it have to be Sim
    > > City/Rush Hour, which I have but disk 2(yellow one) is cracked, and
    > > therefore it won't install....
    > >
    > > I have installed Sim City 4 however.
    >
    > You can just use SC4, the only extra you get with Rush Hour (or Deluxe)
    > is that you are suppose to be able to use an extra type of bridge
    > opposed to just one (although it will not work for me, I am only ably to
    > use the "level road bridge").
    >
    > If you want you can download the "neighborhood view fix" from MTS2 and
    > be able to use the whole SC4 map as neighborhood instead of only the
    > middle half, the edges of the map are a bit funny, but I can live with
    that.

    > Bianca

    Thanks!
    according to the help thing of the official site you can only use the
    standard bridge and (if you have Rush Hour or Deluxe) the "small steel
    arch" bridge.
    I don't build canyons, yesterday I tried the small steel arch bridge and
    it didn't show up in TS2, removed it and replaced it with the standard
    bridge (level road bridge) on the same spot and it did show.
    I'll make a test neighborhood to find out which bridges will work for me
    and which ones will not.
    On Yahoo groups I can find Simcentral 2, but no Sim_City_Central is that
    the right one or am I looking in the wrong place?

    Bianca

    Maxon wrote:
    > You can only use the first four bridges you can see in Rush Hour (which were
    > the ones that came with just SC anyway). You are very limited in what you
    > can do for TS2 in Sim City - basically only terrain (the landscape), roads,
    > trees and bridges will transfer. And the bridges generally need to be built
    > on fairly flat land to transfer across properly - it's difficult to get it
    > to work properly over a canyon (though it will work if you persist). I
    > wrote a tutorial on how to do this a while back. You can see it on the
    > Yahoo Group Sim_City_Central (with pictures) or I'll send it to you if you
    > want (I think I put it in a Word file) (no pics).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >>Julia wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I would like to import one of my own Neighbourhoods, custom built from
    >
    > sim
    >
    >>>city 4
    >>>
    >>>However, will it work with just Sim City, or does it have to be Sim
    >>>City/Rush Hour, which I have but disk 2(yellow one) is cracked, and
    >>>therefore it won't install....
    >>>
    >>>I have installed Sim City 4 however.
    >>
    >>You can just use SC4, the only extra you get with Rush Hour (or Deluxe)
    >>is that you are suppose to be able to use an extra type of bridge
    >>opposed to just one (although it will not work for me, I am only ably to
    >>use the "level road bridge").
    >>
    >>If you want you can download the "neighborhood view fix" from MTS2 and
    >>be able to use the whole SC4 map as neighborhood instead of only the
    >>middle half, the edges of the map are a bit funny, but I can live with
    >
    > that.
    >
    >>Bianca

    To be honest, I haven't included that many bridges in my neighbourhoods and
    I usually use the simplest anyway. I got that information from the manual,
    I think. I have successfully transferred across at least two other types of
    bridge but, as a general rule, they are not as stable and easy to use as the
    first one and I usually get too pissed off to try too hard. It may be that
    they've changed the advice on the site because of this instability. To be
    successful with the bridges, it seems, you need the ground on either side of
    the water to be level for a good distance around and each side level with
    the other. This is not easy to achieve with Sim City.

    I mis-spelled the name of Sim City Central - here's the url.

    My tut is under the section titled Maxon's experiments with TS2-SC4. The
    tut itself is right at the bottom of the file list and looks insignificant -
    there are several pictures with comments too. It's also up at my own Yahoo
    Group (if you're that interested) but be warned, things are very quiet there
    just at the moment as I am busy with other things:

    > Thanks!
    > according to the help thing of the official site you can only use the
    > standard bridge and (if you have Rush Hour or Deluxe) the "small steel
    > arch" bridge.
    > I don't build canyons, yesterday I tried the small steel arch bridge and
    > it didn't show up in TS2, removed it and replaced it with the standard
    > bridge (level road bridge) on the same spot and it did show.
    > I'll make a test neighborhood to find out which bridges will work for me
    > and which ones will not.
    > On Yahoo groups I can find Simcentral 2, but no Sim_City_Central is that
    > the right one or am I looking in the wrong place?
    >
    > Bianca

    Thanks again.

    Just made a "bridge test neighbourhood" out of the 9 bridges only the
    level road bridge showed up. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I
    have Deluxe and not SC4 and Rush Hour seperately, or TS2 simply just
    decided that it only wants the level road bridge, seems the game often
    decides whether or not something works or not.

    I do wish there were some smaller bridges, so that I could make a
    neighbourhood with canals with smaller bridges instead of rivers with
    big bridges.

    Bianca

    Maxon wrote:
    > To be honest, I haven't included that many bridges in my neighbourhoods and
    > I usually use the simplest anyway. I got that information from the manual,
    > I think. I have successfully transferred across at least two other types of
    > bridge but, as a general rule, they are not as stable and easy to use as the
    > first one and I usually get too pissed off to try too hard. It may be that
    > they've changed the advice on the site because of this instability. To be
    > successful with the bridges, it seems, you need the ground on either side of
    > the water to be level for a good distance around and each side level with
    > the other. This is not easy to achieve with Sim City.
    >
    > I mis-spelled the name of Sim City Central - here's the url.

    > My tut is under the section titled Maxon's experiments with TS2-SC4. The
    > tut itself is right at the bottom of the file list and looks insignificant -
    > there are several pictures with comments too. It's also up at my own Yahoo
    > Group (if you're that interested) but be warned, things are very quiet there
    > just at the moment as I am busy with other things:

    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    Yes, I'd like to be able to do canals too - you get them in Veronaville.
    I'd be interested to know how Maxis built the neighbourhoods that get
    included in the game. Regarding bridges, it does look like different people
    have different experiences of the game right across the board. What works
    for one person doesn't work for the next so you might find that you only
    ever get one bridge to work. As I said, I had a lot of trouble with the
    others and the first bridge is the only one I can use consistently with
    success. There is the bridge that comes in the neighbourhood screen though
    trying to get that placed as I want it sometimes drives me bonkers. That
    doesn't work over large spans but works ok with smaller ones.

    Maxon wrote:
    > Yes, I'd like to be able to do canals too - you get them in
    > Veronaville. I'd be interested to know how Maxis built the
    > neighbourhoods that get included in the game. Regarding bridges, it
    > does look like different people have different experiences of the
    > game right across the board. What works for one person doesn't work
    > for the next so you might find that you only ever get one bridge to
    > work. As I said, I had a lot of trouble with the others and the
    > first bridge is the only one I can use consistently with success.
    > There is the bridge that comes in the neighbourhood screen though
    > trying to get that placed as I want it sometimes drives me bonkers.
    > That doesn't work over large spans but works ok with smaller ones.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    I've tried using that bridge that comes in the neighborhood decorations and
    that's all it is, a decoration! I only downloaded one new landscape terrain
    and it's like an island, but does have a road coming into it. The road dips
    way down and then way back up again. That bridge fits the "dip" perfectly,
    but the traffice doesn't go over it, it goes through the road, under the
    bridge then back up and through the bridge road on the other side!

    Jeanie

    Oh yes - decoration purposes only!

    Maxon wrote:

    > It's also up at my own Yahoo Group (if you're that interested) but
    > be
    > warned, things are very quiet there just at the moment as I am busy
    > with other things:

    Is that how you look? Did Laurelindorinan arrive safely? Did you get a
    lot of superfluous stuff with the file?

    T.

    Ha - yes, she's meant to be sim Jen (a bit younger though).

    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - she didn't. OMG! I'd love to have her.
    I wonder if my server bounced you off? Goddamm it.

    Maybe we can find another way to get her to me? I'd have certainly emailed
    you back if she had arrived. I thought you'd got huffy with me because the
    file was too big. Wail, wail and gnashing of teeth. Oh woe is me.

    Best wishes
    Jen

    Maxon wrote:

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Is that how you look? Did Laurelindorinan arrive safely? Did you
    >> get
    >> a lot of superfluous stuff with the file?
    > Ha - yes, she's meant to be sim Jen (a bit younger though).

    She's pretty. Then again, all sims have a perfect skin (apart from
    teenagers) and do we? No :-) So my sim me looks younger than me, too.
    Call me weird, I don't have the skin of an 18-year old :-) (34, me).

    > Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - she didn't. OMG! I'd love to
    > have her. I wonder if my server bounced you off? Goddamm it.
    > Maybe we can find another way to get her to me?

    I'm sure we can :-)

    > I'd have certainly emailed you back if she had arrived. I thought
    > you'd got huffy
    > with me because the file was too big.

    Oh, you - why didn't you ask?! I thought _you_ were huffy with _me_
    because the file was too big! :-)

    > Wail, wail and gnashing of teeth. Oh woe is me.

    There, there. We'll find some way. Shall I upload her to the Exchange?
    Let's try... Hm... How to go about it... I think it needs to be done
    ingame, doesn't it? Anything I'll have to think off? If I take
    Downloads out you won't get all her clothes, so I'd rather not do
    that. Tell me first, then I'll have a try.

    T.

    Sends Taemon a BIG kiss.

    Just upload her to the Exchange if you will - I'll remove anything that
    comes with it that shouldn't be there - using Clean Installer. If you put
    her on an empty lot, there shouldn't be much else packed up with her except
    the clothes she stands up in!

    Tell me when you do it.

    Maxon wrote:

    > Sends Taemon a BIG kiss.

    <gleam>

    > If you put her on an empty lot, there shouldn't be much else packed
    > up with her except the clothes she stands up in!

    Took a while - "operation timed out" and nonsense like that. But
    finally, yes, she's there.

    > Tell me when you do it.

    http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/uploads.php?asset_type=lot&asset_id=173819&asset_user_id=679234&mode=no_dl.

    Weird, I can't find the original message where I sent her to you. Must
    have been taken out by my own provider before it even got to yours. I
    gave her a popularity aspiration because she's part of a new
    neighbourhood. Maybe romance suits her better, but it's really up to
    you what to do with her. Enjoy!

    T.

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:50:10 -0800, "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
    wrote:

    >I would also like to know how to import custom nneighborhood maps, once they
    >are downloaded...

    Huh? You mean how to put downloaded Sim City 4 maps into the game?
    Just place the .sc4 files into

    C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    2\SC4Terrains

    Or whatever drive you have your documents on.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:50:10 -0800, "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would also like to know how to import custom nneighborhood maps,
    >> once they are downloaded...
    >
    > Huh? You mean how to put downloaded Sim City 4 maps into the game?
    > Just place the .sc4 files into
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims
    > 2\SC4Terrains
    >
    > Or whatever drive you have your documents on.

    Yes, that was what I meant - thanks for the info!

    :)

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    Maxon wrote:
    > Yes, I'd like to be able to do canals too - you get them in Veronaville.
    > I'd be interested to know how Maxis built the neighbourhoods that get
    > included in the game.

    Was able to make some canals by lowering the ground level first to under
    sea level, then raise it manually just above sea level, and than
    basically make very narrow rivers, only you can't build bridges over
    it!!! There goes my idea to partially rebuild my hometown!

    I do wish for an easier (in game?) building tool for neighborhoods, I'm
    lucky my comp can handle SC4 and TS2 running at the same time, lot of
    switching between programs to get it right.

    Bianca

    Why's that coming up as my lot listing? Damn - what's your username on the
    Exchange?

    > Maxon wrote:
    >
    > > Sends Taemon a BIG kiss.
    >
    > <gleam>
    >
    > > If you put her on an empty lot, there shouldn't be much else packed
    > > up with her except the clothes she stands up in!
    >
    > Took a while - "operation timed out" and nonsense like that. But
    > finally, yes, she's there.
    >
    > > Tell me when you do it.

    http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/uploads.php?asset_type=lot&asset_id=173819&asset_user_id=679234&mode=no_dl.

    > Weird, I can't find the original message where I sent her to you. Must
    > have been taken out by my own provider before it even got to yours. I
    > gave her a popularity aspiration because she's part of a new
    > neighbourhood. Maybe romance suits her better, but it's really up to
    > you what to do with her. Enjoy!
    >
    > T.

    OK, that's weird. I click on the link and I end up on my Sim Page. If you
    have any problems pulling it off the Exchange, I do still have the original
    file.

    Maxon wrote:

    >>Taemon wrote:
    >> Took a while - "operation timed out" and nonsense like that. But
    >> finally, yes, she's there.
    >>> Tell me when you do it.
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/uploads.php?asset_type=lot&asset_id=173819&asset_user_id=679234&mode=no_dl.

    > Why's that coming up as my lot listing? Damn - what's your username
    > on the Exchange?

    Duh! How stupid of me. I didn't see that. Look for "Taemonn" (Taemon
    was already taken - by myself).

    T.

    hahahahahahahaha

    Now I'm getting the message that the "maker has made this asset unavailable
    for download" - mmmmm...............

    Still at least I've found her!

    Maxon wrote:

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/uploads.php?asset_type=lot&asset_id=173819&asset_user_id=679234&mode=no_dl.
    >>> Why's that coming up as my lot listing? Damn - what's your
    >>> username
    >>> on the Exchange?
    >> Duh! How stupid of me. I didn't see that. Look for "Taemonn"
    >> (Taemon
    >> was already taken - by myself).
    > hahahahahahahaha
    > Now I'm getting the message that the "maker has made this asset
    > unavailable for download" - mmmmm...............
    > Still at least I've found her!

    Sigh... I thought I had disabled that! Okay, try again. Oh, and I've
    already played her a few days so she has some memories of her
    neighbours and a job. I hope you don't mind. Maybe you can PE the
    memories away.

    T.

    OK Downloading her now - came in at 32MB.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:

    > OK Downloading her now - came in at 32MB.

    Amazing. She's getting bigger everytime I try to get her to you :-)
    Did you succeed? Can I take her away again?

    T.

Sims Games Video Games