Start Menu Context Menu Problems

July 1, 2004 11:19:17 PM

I'm having an issue with the "Open"/"Open All
Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users" context menu
options (right click menu) for shortcut folders (such
as "Accessories") under the "All Programs" list on
the "Start Menu" in Windows XP Home Edition.

Performing this action is supposed to open a My
Computer/Windows Explorer window browsing the selected
start menu folder. Normally, double clicking a start menu
folder will also "Open" a My Computer window browsing the
selected start menu folder. I use these features often
when editing and customizing start menu shortcuts and
folders. Currently, these actions don't function and
simply close the context menu/Start Menu without bringing
up a My Computer/Windows Explorer window.

If I right click the "Start" button directly and select
the corresponding options ("Open"/"Open All
Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users") a My
Computer/Windows Explorer window is brought up as
expected browsing "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start
Menu" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu" respectively.

Is this a registry/virus issue? How do I fix this? Do I
need to reinstall the OS to resolve this annoying
problem? I've performed a full virus system scan with
virus definitions to date, and have had the Windows
network connection firewall enabled prior to the initial
internet connection. The computer is 1 day old!!!
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 5:13:57 PM

It's caused be third part programs. AVG anti virus is one.
Type Regedit in Start Run
Goto

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Export all five keys (on the File Menu) (First two keys apply to files, 1st, 3rd to 5th apply to folders/drives). Delete all two/five. What happens.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Flux" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24a9a01c45fda$fa2c4110$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> I'm having an issue with the "Open"/"Open All
> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users" context menu
> options (right click menu) for shortcut folders (such
> as "Accessories") under the "All Programs" list on
> the "Start Menu" in Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Performing this action is supposed to open a My
> Computer/Windows Explorer window browsing the selected
> start menu folder. Normally, double clicking a start menu
> folder will also "Open" a My Computer window browsing the
> selected start menu folder. I use these features often
> when editing and customizing start menu shortcuts and
> folders. Currently, these actions don't function and
> simply close the context menu/Start Menu without bringing
> up a My Computer/Windows Explorer window.
>
> If I right click the "Start" button directly and select
> the corresponding options ("Open"/"Open All
> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users") a My
> Computer/Windows Explorer window is brought up as
> expected browsing "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start
> Menu" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
> Menu" respectively.
>
> Is this a registry/virus issue? How do I fix this? Do I
> need to reinstall the OS to resolve this annoying
> problem? I've performed a full virus system scan with
> virus definitions to date, and have had the Windows
> network connection firewall enabled prior to the initial
> internet connection. The computer is 1 day old!!!
July 4, 2004 2:59:48 PM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,

Thankyou very much for the response!! I apologize for the
delay. I've been busy unfortunately and haven't had time
to address this issue or get back to the forum :(  . I
have not yet performed the actions you suggested.

You wrote:
Delete all two/five.

I'm assuming the purpose of exporting the five mentioned
keys and values is for backup purposes while editing in
the event I may need to import them back. Can you kindly
clarify what you mean in the above statement. My
understanding is that I am ONLY to delete the following
keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

P.S. Very interesting that you happened to mention the
anti virus as a potential cause of this issue. The system
IS running AVG... I wonder how common this issue occurs
under AVG users...

-

>>"Flux" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:24a9a01c45fda$fa2c4110$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> I'm having an issue with the "Open"/"Open All
>> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users" context menu
>> options (right click menu) for shortcut folders (such
>> as "Accessories") under the "All Programs" list on
>> the "Start Menu" in Windows XP Home Edition.
>>
>> Performing this action is supposed to open a My
>> Computer/Windows Explorer window browsing the selected
>> start menu folder. Normally, double clicking a start
menu
>> folder will also "Open" a My Computer window browsing
the
>> selected start menu folder. I use these features often
>> when editing and customizing start menu shortcuts and
>> folders. Currently, these actions don't function and
>> simply close the context menu/Start Menu without
bringing
>> up a My Computer/Windows Explorer window.
>>
>> If I right click the "Start" button directly and
select
>> the corresponding options ("Open"/"Open All
>> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users") a My
>> Computer/Windows Explorer window is brought up as
>> expected browsing "C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\Start
>> Menu" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>> Menu" respectively.
>>
>> Is this a registry/virus issue? How do I fix this? Do
>> need to reinstall the OS to resolve this annoying
>> problem? I've performed a full virus system scan with
>> virus definitions to date, and have had the Windows
>> network connection firewall enabled prior to the
initial
>> internet connection. The computer is 1 day old!!!
>.
Related resources
July 4, 2004 8:20:08 PM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,

I went ahead and deleted keys 2 and 5 (previous message
below) which contained the following sub keys:
____________________________________
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
[\AVG Shell Extension]
@="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"
[\Offline Files]
@="{750fdf0e-2a26-11d1-a3ea-080036587f03}"
[\Open With]
@="{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}"
[\Open With EncryptionMenu]
@="{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}"
[\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
@="Start Menu Pin"
____________________________________
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
[\AVG Shell Extension]
@="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"

After removing these two parent keys, functionality to
the "Open"/"Open All Users", "Explore"/"Explore All
Users" context menu options for shortcut folders under
the "All Programs" list on the "Start Menu" was restored!

I will be importing the original keys and, through trial
and error, try and determine which subkey(s) is/are
responsible for this issue and post the results here.

Thanks again!!

July 4, 2004 8:51:54 PM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,

I've located the registry error created by AVG in the
following parent key:
____________________________________
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\AVG
Shell Extension]
@="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"

Removing the "AVG Shell Extension" key will remove the
issue with "Open"/"Open All Users", "Explore"/"Explore
All Users" context menu options but will remove the "Scan
with AVG" option in context menus when right clicking on
folders.

tml

>"Flux" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:24a9a01c45fda$fa2c4110$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> I'm having an issue with the "Open"/"Open All
>> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users" context menu
>> options (right click menu) for shortcut folders (such
>> as "Accessories") under the "All Programs" list on
>> the "Start Menu" in Windows XP Home Edition.
>>
>> Performing this action is supposed to open a My
>> Computer/Windows Explorer window browsing the selected
>> start menu folder. Normally, double clicking a start
menu
>> folder will also "Open" a My Computer window browsing
the
>> selected start menu folder. I use these features often
>> when editing and customizing start menu shortcuts and
>> folders. Currently, these actions don't function and
>> simply close the context menu/Start Menu without
bringing
>> up a My Computer/Windows Explorer window.
>>
>> If I right click the "Start" button directly and
select
>> the corresponding options ("Open"/"Open All
>> Users", "Explore"/"Explore All Users") a My
>> Computer/Windows Explorer window is brought up as
>> expected browsing "C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\Start
>> Menu" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>> Menu" respectively.
>>
>> Is this a registry/virus issue? How do I fix this? Do
>> need to reinstall the OS to resolve this annoying
>> problem? I've performed a full virus system scan with
>> virus definitions to date, and have had the Windows
>> network connection firewall enabled prior to the
initial
>> internet connection. The computer is 1 day old!!!
>.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:50:38 PM

yes. Though on SP1 it seems to work ok.

"Flux" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:262f901c46221$e2a2f630$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,
>
> I've located the registry error created by AVG in the
> following parent key:
> ____________________________________
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\AVG
> Shell Extension]
> @="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"
>
> Removing the "AVG Shell Extension" key will remove the
> issue with "Open"/"Open All Users", "Explore"/"Explore
> All Users" context menu options but will remove the "Scan
> with AVG" option in context menus when right clicking on
> folders.

July 8, 2004 3:01:26 AM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,

I've installed the latest AVG (v6.0.716) on three
separate systems running Windows XP Home Edition (v
5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600) and all perform the
same causing the context menu issue post installation.
Perhaps your test involved AVG and XP Professional ?? ...
I'm not familiar with AVG and XP Pro at this point,
although I would expect it to function the same...

-
>'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...
tml

>>"Flux" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:262f901c46221$e2a2f630$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>,
>>
>> I've located the registry error created by AVG in the
>> following parent key:
>> ____________________________________

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\AVG
>> Shell Extension]
>> @="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"
>>
>> Removing the "AVG Shell Extension" key will remove the
>> issue with "Open"/"Open All Users", "Explore"/"Explore
>> All Users" context menu options but will remove
the "Scan
>> with AVG" option in context menus when right clicking
on
>> folders.

---

!