driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I recently added a program called Edison, by Verdeim. It is suppose to shut down your computer when it is not being
used, like 15 minutes or so later.
So, when you restart it, you are right back to where you left off.
No, does not happen. Get a black and white screen with all the slave and master stuff listed but at the top, it
says to hit F1 to continue or Del to enter setup. I know it is a power setting that was changed, and I have tried
to fix that but nothing so far works. If it is in the BIOS, I don't know how to get in to that part. I have tried rebooting,
and hitting F8 to get the Safe Mode, but that doesn't work either. Goes to the black and white screen again.
If I hit F1, It will take me to the desktop which is fine, but I want to bypass all the junk and go directly to the desktop
like I did for the last 15 years.
Thanks for anyone helping me.
I am lost now.
Fred

Solution
load the bios defaults, and removing that battery wont do any of that crap.
hes outdated.

the motherboard detects the hard drive every time you boot...

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Running XP SP3. Computer is a no name, purchased from a very respectable store in Cincinnati. I have owned 4 it is called PowerSpec.
I uninstalled it, removed it from everything I could find so all traces are gone.
The mess is what I am left with.
180GB harddrive, Windows, If I shut down and restart I get a black and white screen saying hit F1 to continue or del to enter setup. Been in there 3 times but don't know what to change.
Appreciate any help you can give me and I will try everything you suggest. If you need more information, ask. Don't know how to get into BIOS if that is where my problem is. It is probably a power saver problem that was changed but don't know where to start. you can get me direct if you wish at: flr@fuse.net. Hope others are honest if they read this. Going out on a limb I know.
Tell me my next move and I will keep you informed of progress and I say Thank you already.
Fred

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You get into BIOS by hitting the Delete key when asked during boot up. Before this happened, what were you seeing instead of the black and white screen you now see during boot up. Some motherboards have what's called a splash screen (shows the name of the motherboard instead of showing the installed devices, memory configuration, etc. or as you call it, the black and white screen).

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
My powerspec is a 6641.
Can't even get to the safe mode
Must get past F1 to continue Any help you can give will really be appreciated.
I can get into setup to change things if necessary, but I don't know what to change
Thanks
Fred

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Press the Delete key when prompted to enter Setup. Once you're in Setup (BIOS), use the arrow keys to move to Advanced BIOS Features

Go down to Quick Power Self Test and see if it's Enabled or Disabled. If Disabled, press the Enter key and change the setting to Enabled,
then press the F10 key on your keyboard and select Yes to Save Changes.

Let me know if that works.

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Model Number is 6641 My "splash screen" is blue and says "Power Spec"
No other information is shown.
When it gets to the F1 or del choice, it shows a whole screen of Slave and Master information and at the very bottom left corner is says F1 to continue del to enter setup. My significant other's machine turns off after about 15 minutes and she has to restart but not like my mess. Put same program in both. Hers was removed also.
Doesn't show the F1 del screen like mine. But, that is another issue for later.
Thank you for hanging in with me.

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I am sorry, forgot to answer your question. Quick Power Self Test is enabled.
Everything there is enabled except for Third Boot Device which I guess I don't haved.
When I got out of QPST using esc, took me right back to F1 del screen.
The other stuff on there is about IDE stuff and is just repeating down the screen.
What next? Following your lead. Thanks

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
The only other thing I can think of is to reset it to the factory defaults. The best way to do this is to turn it off, unplug the power cord from the back of the computer, open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Keep it out for about 15 minutes, then replace the battery and power cord.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Just to be sure I understand the issue:
When you turn it on, the blue PowerSpec splash screen comes up, followed by the boot up screen (black and white that shows the primary, secondary drives, etc.). If you don't press the F1 or Delete key, does it continue to boot into Windows or does it just hang at the black and white screen, or what?

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
OK I will give that a try today. Will doing that disrupt anything, like programs, or whatever? Or will that just reset the internals only.
It is time for a dusting anyway, good excuse to open the case and blow out dust.
I am extremely careful about static charges.
But it has been raining here for a week so not very dry around here for static.
I will do it and advise you. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
No, to answer your other question. It just sits and waits for a F1 or del hit and then it continues one way or the other, to my desktop or to the setup.
It will sit as long as I want, it is waiting on me to make a decision.
You are good. Tnx

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Here's something else to try 1st. Hit Delete and enter Setup. Use arrows to navigate to "Advanced BIOS Features". Go down to "First Boot Device" and disable "Floppy". After that, highlight "Save and Exit" and hit "Enter". When the save and exit dialog box appears, hit "Y" for yes to save and exit.

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Floppy was disabled and CDROM is first boot device. Found exactly what you were referencing.
I was told, that unplugging, and removing battery, this comes from a Cisco Systems engineer, that it will not recognize my hard drive etc, and won't be able to boot.
I have another idea, I will get back with you, shortly I hope if I can.

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
OK Now I have a new term I have to deal with. What are the BIOS defaults?
How do I get to them. Question......... Would it help if I went to the Edison page and reloaded the program from get go? I found it and it has a lot of good comments. Looked for a forum on that or customer service or contact us or something.
Nada, Zip, Zero.
You think shut down properly, unplug(hate shocks) remove battery for 15 minutes should do it?

driver703

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Got it guys, both of you. Thanks a million for your help and support.
You all are about as good as they get.
Hope you don't have money riding on the Bengals! 13-0 isn't pretty.
There is always next year.
Fred