Final Build - opinions ?

Final Build for a gaming rig

XFX HD4890 Black Edition ATI Radeon HD4890, 1024 MB, 256 Bit, PCIe x16 v2.0
Intel® Core i7-920 4x 2666 MHz, 4x 256 kB, 4800 MT/s, Bloomfield
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850 Watt, ATX12V 2.0, EPS, 8 x, 8 x
Antec Nine Hundred II 3 x, 6 x, ATX, µATX, Mini ITX
DVD-Writer Samsung SH-S222A
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P X58, 6.400 MT/s, 3x PCIe x16 v2.0, SLI, Cr, Socket 1366
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1 TB 1.000 GB, 8,9 / 32 / 7200, € 0,09*, Serial ATA/300
Corsair DIMM 6 GB DDR3-1333 Tri-Kit

Monitor
Samsung T240 (24 inch)

OEM
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Opinions?
13 answers Last reply
More about final build opinions
  1. Nice build. You might want to look at getting a after market heat sink and thermal compound. Always best to put that in at first in case you ever change your mind and decide to over clock later on.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx?ITPID=mscomsc <--- Save yourself some money on an o/s until March 2010 and dl the 64 bit version of Windows RC 7
  2. Why_Me said:
    Nice build. You might want to look at getting a after market heat sink and thermal compound. Always best to put that in at first in case you ever change your mind and decide to over clock later on.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx?ITPID=mscomsc <--- Save yourself some money on an o/s until March 2010 and dl the 64 bit version of Windows RC 7

I already mailed Microsoft on that one :) For every Vista OEM bought after 26th of june, you get a voucher to change to windows 7 :p so it's the same thing :)

ps: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html article about ocerclocking the i7-920 ( on stock cooler ;) )
  3. bumparoonie
  4. Good choice to go with XFX, comes with the double lifetime warranty?
  5. Pretty foolish to OC with the stock cooler.
  6. the voucher when you buy vista after the 26th is for a discount on win7, not for win7 so you'll still pay a good $100+ for win7 even with the voucher since win7 home premium costs something like $190 IIRC.
  7. According to the customer service of microsoft, the voucher is for a free upgrade to windows 7
  8. ^ well that's the rumour of what was going to happen, but in the last couple of weeks someone came out and said that if they did offer a free upgrade then they would lose a good $100+ each sale, and since win7 is in high demand, they would lose millions in total.
  9. Still.. :p if customer service is telling me I getting a free upgrade with the voucher.. (I know it's microsoft.. trusting microsoft is like saving a extinct animal.. ;) )
  10. buuump
  11. It looks like a decent build to me, however I would get a CPU heatsink/cooler that is better than the stock. The stock is okay if you don't OC, but for best stability and later ability to push it farther, you will want a good cooler.
    Other than that, it looks good. Have you tried out the Windows 7 RC yet? IF you are going to use it in the meantime just remember that you can't upgrade from the RC, it would be a full reinstall. It will upgrade from that install of Vista though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems