Motherboard frying drives?

dalejamin

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hey all,

I got the infamous blue screen of death on my laptop HDD. The desktop case was already off 'cause I'd been tinkering, and not having an external enclosure handy, I connected the SATA laptop HDD to the desktop mobo (Biostar MCP6P M2+ 6.x).

I planned to scan and clean the laptop HDD using the desktop. The desktop HDD (Samsung HD502HI) wouldn't come up, and the mobo booted directly to the laptop HDD. Same blue screen on the desktop as on the laptop. Then I smelled a burning odor. Never a good sign. I pulled the laptop HDD, and the desktop HDD still wouldn't come up. Worse yet, the desktop HDD didn't sound like the platters were even spinning.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I replaced the desktop HDD with an old IDE 80GB HDD. I installed Windows 7 on the old HDD. When I went to shut it down, the updates began installing. Then I smelled that same dang burning odor again. Sure enough, the old drive will no longer spin.

I've since went out, got an external enclosure and cleared up the blue screen using another laptop I had on hand, but now I have two fried drives. Could the mobo be frying the drives?? Next step?? Both the desktop HDD and mobo are still under warranty.

Hey, this is what I get for rushing and not thinking things thru :heink:

Thx, Dale

dalejamin

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I wondered about the power supply initially, but then a buddy mentioned the mobo. Both an IDE and a SATA drive have been fried, so I'm thinking mobo or power supply. Both the mobo and HDD are both under warranty, but if the power supply is the culprit, I'm up the creek.