Iomega External Harddrive not found - Vista on Dell Inspiron

DeeTucker

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hi all,

I've been looking through other posts similar to my problem but have not found a solution that works.

I just received the Iomega 1TB hard drive as a gift (so I can't return it, lovely), and it's giving me a whole lotta grief.

I plugged it into my main computer, a Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop with Windows Vista, and it immediately popped up with "Found New Hardware" and asked me if I wanted it to install drivers. I said yes, it gave me an unknown error, but the hard drive was accessible through My Computer despite this. I was relieved and transfered a lot of data over to it.

The next day I booted up my computer and it came up with the same "Found New Hardware" notice. I opened up My Computer and there was my Iomega drive, looking happy and working fine. So I clicked on the "Don't show me this notification any more for this device" button. And that's when things went wrong.

My Iomega drive immediately disappeared from My Computer and, try as I might, I have not been able to get it back. I've plugged the drive into my Acer laptop running Windows XP and it recognizes the hard drive just fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. I've gone into Disk Management on my desktop computer and tried to assign a drive letter to the Iomega but it does not even recognize that a device is plugged in. I've also checked the connections, and nothing is out of place (plus it runs fine on my laptop), plus I've run "Install New Hardware" and my computer does not even recognize that the Iomega drive is there.

Are there any other steps that I can take to get my Inspiron to recognize this hard drive? Yes, I know that the Inspiron is in no way the greatest system (I failed to shop around before purchasing a few years back, unfortunately... impulse buy) but it's been working fine with recognizing other external hard drives. I have a 500GB from Rock that works perfectly, has given me no problems, for over a year and a half.

Please help? Frustration abounds.

EDIT: This is an iomega HDD 3.5 Select Hard drive, USB 2.0.... 1 TB... and that's all the box tells me that I can see...

Also I tried to find drivers on the iomega website and it says that there are none for download???