alykh96

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Overclocking the graphics core by 90%
I have looked on this article and I have AMD 780G chipset and tried to overclock the GPU core to 950MHz from bios (GFX engine override) the PC can't even boot up I realized then that the chipset heats up so I lowered the overclock to 750Mhz , the same time
I accessed my user on windows......BSOD it's working on 625MHz the question is why I can't overclock to 950MHz like the article said

Ok, one thing you didn't pay attention to was the part where they say
'we were able to overclock OUR sample 90%'
Chips vary, one may clock well, the next may not
you chip obviously doesn't like being pushed that far, as pyree hinted, its a case of upping it a little at a time, then testing, then up a bit more, then testing,
there are few guarantees on 'easy' overclocking but with time patience and tenacity, you'll find the sweet spot for your card :)
Moto

alykh96

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
you've never heard of the silicon lottery? Just because someone elses GPU Core can hit 950Mhz doesm't mean yours can, you may just be at the limit of your chip.
I don't understand what is the silicon lottery , I know the thermal compound on the processor

Ok, the chip were tested in the factory and they are bin into different frequency of what the company design they are capable of running within reference specification. So sometimes, the chip may run at higher freq but you need to put in more voltage, therefore exceeding the electrical and thermal specification of the reference design. This is what overclocked took advantage of. Buying lower frequency chip which is capable of running faster by putting in more voltage. Sometime, the chip can take a lot of voltage and oc very well, but some just don't. But because there are so many oc'ker trying all sort of cpu and gpu, we have an idea which one oc well. Nevertheless, you should only take it as a guide line. If you read more of the forum you will find that the i5-2500k is good for oc in general, but there are some unfortunate forumer here which achieve very little oc from it. You can't blame the manufacturer because they do work at their specification. Since sometimes you cannot get good overclock and also there is risk involve, including damage to hardware, many people don't oc. But if you are interested, you are welcome to ask any question concerning about oc. There are many knowledgeable people in this forum to help you.