New System Advice

Hi all - I am getting a new system and want to make sure these pieces will be ok / compatible. I will assemble it myself but I am a bit of a rookie.

Please advise if you think I should change anything.

MBo - Gigabyte P55M-UD2 mATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3
Mem - G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB
CPU - Intel Core i7 860 Quad Core Processor
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) 1000GB (1TB)
Vid - Older ATI vid card X1900 xtx

4 answers Last reply
More about system advice
  1. Honestly, the video card is extremely lacking. If it were me, I'd save up some extra cash, or spend less on one of the above components and get a respectable card.

The rest looks OK, but don't see a PSU listed - please don't tell me you are reusing a generic, average PSU.
  2. Yup I will upgrade the video card in about a month. The PSU is an OCZ - either 600 or 700 watts - it is in my current system.
  3. OCZ is an OK brand as well. That's good to hear. If you are going to get a new graphics card in a month, is there a reason you are pulling the trigger on the rest now?
  4. I may be getting an ATI 4850 from a friend - if so I won't need a new card - I will use my old one while I am waiting to see. :D

I was mainly torn between the i7 860 and the i7 920 - I think I will go with the 860 as it appears a little faster and I won't upgrade the CPU in future - I will wait for the next generation entirely.

The other thing I was wondering was whether that memory seems ok - I don't know anything about memory - I did check the vendor list so I should be ok there.

Ask a new question

Read More