EU Reveals 'Smoking Gun' E-Mails from Intel Antitrust Probe

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
EU Reveals 'Smoking Gun' E-Mails from Intel Antitrust Probe
The European Commission unveiled e-mails that its antitrust officials describe as "smoking gun" evidence of Intel's antitrust abuse.
Paul Meller, IDG News Service
Monday, September 21, 2009 08:40 AM PDT

In an unusual move, the European Commission unveiled e-mail exchanges between Intel and computer manufacturers that its antitrust officials describe as "smoking gun" evidence from the probe that resulted in the chip maker being fined just over $1.45 billion in May.

intel antitrust EC
A non-confidential version of the May ruling was made public Monday, less than a week after Intel's formal appeal of the decision was released by the Court of First Instance in Luxembourg. In its appeal, the company accused Europe's top antitrust authority of erring in law, conducting sloppy analysis and denying it the right to a fair defense.

"Late last week Lenovo cut a lucrative deal with Intel. As a result of this, we will not be introducing AMD-based products in 2007 for our Notebook products," said a Lenovo executive in a December 2006 internal e-mail that the Commission released.

Hewlett-Packard told the Commission that Intel granted it credits subject to unwritten requirements, including that HP should purchase at least 95 percent of its business desktop system from Intel.

In an e-mail written in July 2002 during the negotiation of the rebate agreement between HP and Intel, an HP executive wrote: "PLEASE DO NOT... communicate to the regions, your team members or AMD that we are constrained to 5 percent AMD by pursuing the Intel agreement."

The Commission found Intel guilty of handing out rebates to PC manufacturers on condition of near or total exclusivity, and of paying PC makers to delay the launch of models equipped with Advanced Micro Devices chips.

At the time of the ruling antitrust officials described the e-mail evidence they had gathered as "a smoking gun", but were unable to make the messages public.

The version of its ruling released Monday shows "specific cases of these conditional rebates and naked restrictions, as well as how Intel sought to conceal its practices and how computer manufacturers and Intel itself recognized the growing threat represented by the products of Intel's main competitor, AMD," the Commission said in a statement.

The rebates and restrictions amount to an abuse of Intel's dominant position in the X86 CPU market, it said, adding that the chip maker's behavior "indicates the growing threat that AMD's products represented to Intel, and that Intel's customers were actively considering switching part of their x86 CPU supplies to AMD."

In an October 2004 e-mail from Dell to Intel, a Dell executive said that AMD is "a great threat to our business. Intel is increasingly uncompetitive to AMD which results in Dell being uncompetitive to [Dell competitors]. We have slower, hotter products that cost more across the board in the enterprise with no hope of closing the performance gap for 1-2 years."

It is unusual for the Commission to defend one of its antitrust rulings before a formal appeal is heard in Luxembourg. Some observers said that releasing the e-mails was intended to counter the accusations Intel levelled at the Commission last week.

Others said the Commission was taking advantage of the disruption in Intel's legal team, following the resignation of Bruce Sewell, the company's top antitrust lawyer a week ago. Sewell left to join Apple, leaving behind him outstanding legal disputes on both sides of the Atlantic.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172321/eu_reveals_smoking_gun_emails_from_intel_antitrust_probe.html

Solution
As an Intel employee, I can't discuss these issues. But I will point out that Intel posted a 27 page response that addresses many of the legal issues. You can find that here: Intel Response

Should be an interesting case, once it finally gets to court.

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *

jennyh

Splendid
What the EU need to do is rewrite a few laws asap. Maybe allow them to increase fines on failed appeals, that ought to do it.

Note also that Dell is being sued by it's own shareholders over this, and heads have been rolling in various places. Everywhere except intel actually, but the crooked behaviour at intel starts at the very top.

jennyh

Splendid
What I dont get is, what do intel actually believe they have to gain by this appeal?

Even if the most unlikely scenario happens, which is their appeal is granted and they get admonished of all charges...do they really believe that would be the end of it?

Such arrogance of this little company to think that it can take on the richest market in the world, fail to obey it's rules, and still believe it can win. Every other misbehaving corporation accepts its fines, but not intel, no.

^^ Nuttin' like a couple AMD fanbozos yakking at each other over STALE news :D. One would think Intel poisoned kid's milk supply (like China) or released a convicted terrorist who killed over 200 innocent civilians to get middle East oil (like Scotland) :whistle:

IMO, Intel and Microsoft should just stop selling their products in the EU - I'm sure that would cause sufficient economic upheaval to the point where they would refund the fines plus interest! :).

PS - you two should either get a room or buy a life! :D

jennyh

Splendid
I wouldn't call it stale news, but if the best you can do to justify it is compare it vs murder then that says it all really.

It's just amusing to see the depth of intel's corruption, and how it affected other companies. While intel destroyed evidence in the case, places like Dell, HP etc didn't...I guess that's why the fine broke a few records.

I'm sure we'll have more of this 'stale' news within the next few days, or until intel decide to limp back across the pond with it's tail beneath it's legs. With luck they'll keep fighting it, it's free advertising for AMD.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Not to mention that those "released" EU emails may actually be taken out of context... :sarcastic:

But hey, people need friends, right? :whistle:

jennyh

Splendid
"an HP executive wrote: "PLEASE DO NOT... communicate to the regions, your team members or AMD that we are constrained to 5 percent AMD by pursuing the Intel agreement."

Thats pretty difficult to take out of context?

Next stuff we get should be about how intel bent over backwards to hide their tracks, but still failed.

I've got to side with JennyH on that one, that's gonna be a pretty damn hard statement to put in context and make it sound better, lol.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Could be that Intel required a certain volume of CPU to be purchased by HP in order to qualify for the discounts.

Actually from what I've read, that HP exec was not in the loop for the actual contract, so yes it is taken out of context. Anyway, given the fact that AMD was capacity constrained anyway, the fine is simply ridiculous - way out of proportion to any actual damages suffered by any EU resident (well, except for Jennyh - I assume she's entitled to mental damages suffered from her injustice alarm bell going ding-ding-ding-bzzt! :D)

It's just another case of the greedy EC going after a rich American corporation to line their own pockets, no matter the facts thankyouverymuch, and coming up rather smelly when the facts come out. Besides, some of the evidence as they call it, was testimony from AMD employees, as if they were unbiased and could be counted on to tell the truth :D.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
As an Intel employee, I can't discuss these issues. But I will point out that Intel posted a 27 page response that addresses many of the legal issues. You can find that here: Intel Response

Should be an interesting case, once it finally gets to court.

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *

Solution

jennyh

Splendid

TLDR.

Seriously now, 27 pages in response? Is that how many pages it takes to bore people to death while reading it?

jennyh

Splendid
If any of you are wondering why intel can't afford to lower cpu prices, paying $100m quartely lawyers fees on top of $1bn fines can't be that easy. I'm sure it gets taken out of r&d budget before marketing.

Maybe that's why AMD can stay in the game lol. :D

Considering the EC document was over 500 pages (and I'm sure you memorized every one, despite the frequent "injustice alarm bells" going off :D), 27 pages is a mere 5% rebuttal rate - Intel is to be commended on its efficiency once again! :p

Let me quote from the rebuttal:

However, one important OEM, Dell, which the Decision says was coerced by fear of Intel “punishment” to buy exclusively from Intel, has confirmed publicly that it always considered itself entirely free to choose to buy from AMD, without fear of reprisal or punishment. The record before the Commission contains sworn testimony of Dell executives that contradicts this essential premise of the Commission‟s case. The Decision nevertheless disregarded this evidence and instead relied on the speculation of a single lower level employee, who was not a decision maker and not even at Dell for much of the relevant period.

We should note that the EC is an administrative, not judicial, body, so jennyh's allegations that Intel has been found guilty in the EU court of law is a whopping 100% incorrect! Congratulations on achieving 100% FAIL efficiency again, Jenny! :D

Actually Enny missed striking the hot iron by about 3 days :). Thunderpants is much more efficient at digging up obscure news before it goes bad like a 3-day-old fish! :D

I guess Tiddleywinks qualifies as a "game" :D

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

How else does Intel win court cases?

The Jury will be so bored listening more would torture them to death, so the Jury decides that Intel must win, otherwise, Intel will reread the script.

jennyh

Splendid
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/02/8763.ars

..."Dell of inflating its profits over the past several years by failing to properly disclose rebates from Intel in the amount of "hundreds of millions of dollars" in its earnings."

Now, even with the destroying of evidence, it isn't exactly hard to look elsewhere to see what really happened.

Intel's bribery pockets sure are deep, and a lot of dell fatcats sure as hell got rich on your inflated intel purchase, but nobody can bribe everybody.

See while intel well playing their power game, they totally failed to realise that the likes dell, lenovo and hp are also embroiled in theirs. None of them give a toss about intel, all they care about is the bottom line.

I guess intel didn't really push the point hard enough, especially at HP (what a surprise considering how much cash they had pumped in dell for this 'exclusivity').

So ye, dell managed to destroy most of the evidence...HP didnt seem all that deperate to hide it did they? I wonder why....anyway, whoever thought up this little scheme must have known before long that it was gonna go arse over elbow pretty quickly. Corruption on this scale can never be hidden, that's why it got out.

It sure will be interesting to see the depths of intels corruption over the coming weeks. The rest of them are sensible enough to shut up and pay up, but watching intel intel squirm with each new fact the EU releases is worth even more.