Your question

Put old HD into new system - won't boot to windows

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Safe Mode
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2009 8:04:45 AM

System will POST. Booting into windows flickered a BSOD for a split second then the system rebooted. I was able to boot into safe mode a few times. I installed drivers from my CD while in safe mode (the CD .exe wouldn't run, but the windows hardware installer found the drivers on the disk when doing an automatic search). Now, safe mode is stalling after asking me whether or not to load sptd.sys. From an Ubuntu Live session, I tried removing sptd.sys from the windows/system32/drivers directory and put it in a backup directory outside of windows (in other words, I didn't delete it, in case I needed it again). This has not helped booting in either normal or safe mode.

OS is XP SP3. I just got a Phenom II x4 940. I put the old HDs from my old Core 2 4400 system into this one. I'm using the same RAM and the same 9800GT graphics card. I had to swap in a SATA DVD drive from another system, and I got a new Antec 650W PSU with an 8-pin 12v cable. Hardware seems to be working fine. Windows just doesn't like it because it's new.

More about : put system boot windows

a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2009 12:37:15 PM

You cannot move a Windows installation from one system to another system, unless the hardware is nearly identical. The more the systems are different, the more problems you will run into.
New build....new installation of Windows.
June 22, 2009 7:53:56 PM

jitpublisher said:
You cannot move a Windows installation from one system to another system, unless the hardware is nearly identical. The more the systems are different, the more problems you will run into.

I was hoping to find some kind of magic solution, especially since I WAS fortunate enough to be able to boot into safe mode and get my drivers installed. I didn't see any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager after windows took the drivers from my mobo's install CD.

I can still tweak windows files from within Ubuntu.
Related resources
June 22, 2009 8:28:33 PM

A repair install of XP may fix your problems.
June 22, 2009 8:49:27 PM

If you still have your old pc around place the drive back into that and boot into windows.

change the Driver for the IDE/Sata (depending on which one you're using) to standard ide controller.

Cant remember off hand if you need to reboot before removing the drive...

place the drive into the new machine, it should then boot into windows.

I would still suggest that in the long run a reinstall is a good idea, but this is a quick way fo getting you up and running.
June 22, 2009 10:15:29 PM

jitpublisher said:

I beg to differ. It is possible to do this but it is a lot more involved that just plugging the drive in and installing your new drivers..... When you do get to the point of being able to install you drivers you will have to re-activate your copy of windows (by phone)...... hopefully the copy you are re-activating came with SP3 and not an earlier version because if it is an earlier version there will be no way to activate it (legitimately) and you will not have an optimally configured OS. BUT.... it will work. The best way IS a clean fresh install......

Been there …..Done that……. What a pain in the _ _ _!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 23, 2009 12:53:03 AM

^Pretty much. Still, if you really just need to use that particular installation for whatever reason you can try hitting up Windows IT Pro or Windows XP Tips at TechRepublic.com for more hints and help
a b B Homebuilt system
June 23, 2009 3:08:08 AM

shabaa said:
I beg to differ. It is possible to do this but it is a lot more involved that just plugging the drive in and installing your new drivers..... When you do get to the point of being able to install you drivers you will have to re-activate your copy of windows (by phone)...... hopefully the copy you are re-activating came with SP3 and not an earlier version because if it is an earlier version there will be no way to activate it (legitimately) and you will not have an optimally configured OS. BUT.... it will work. The best way IS a clean fresh install......

Well you can beg to differ, I didn't say you absolutely cannot do it. I have done it lots of times, but by the time you iron out all the bugs, do a complete repair install, which by the way keeps most of your programs in tact, but erases all your Windows settings, including all the update history, so you have to go through all the updates again as soon as you hit the net. Reinstall ALL your drivers again. And then you eventually say to hell with it, save your files, pics and music back to an external drive, and just start all over with a fresh install.
Yeah, you can do it, but unless the 2 systems are pretty close, it is a royal pain. And you WILL run into glitches, flakey behavior down the road.
June 23, 2009 5:54:53 AM

I'm glad to see some responses here. I've been attempting to try a repair install first before doing a complete reinstall, but the first portion of my little adventure was attempting to get working drivers copied over to a floppy disk. such antiquated devices are often difficult to find these days.

I have not been able to get any floppy disks working properly yet. There is still my girlfriend's Dell I could try installing a floppy drive into... but I just don't feel like messing around with hardware anymore. I think there's a joke in there somewhere.

Anyway, since I have not been able to get a floppy working, I'm going to have to reinstall onto my old IDE drive. Since I'm worried that will crash someday and because it's slower, I'm going to try to do what I somehow did last time - install Windows on my IDE drive, then install it on my SATA drive from my IDE drive, and then delete it from my IDE drive, while hopefully not killing my MBR. That little process is the main reason I've been trying to repair my install rather than reinstalling, because reinstalling means reinstalling twice.

Here's to hoping to either Windows 7 being awesome or developers making games Linux compatible.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2009 2:00:03 PM

Huh? I am not quite yet understanding the difficulty you are having just installing Windows. You don't need a floppy. Just set your SATA controller to native IDE mode, or emulated IDE mode, can be called either one depending on your BIOS, insert the Windows disk in the CD/DVD drive, and install Windows on the SATA drive first. You can connect your old IDE drive later to retrieve any files you need off of it.
October 28, 2009 6:13:56 PM

shabaa said:

I bed to differ about SP2, just activated SP2 today!

As for moving hard drives to new systems, go to Download.com and search "Hard Drive Mover 3"
!