Problem with X-fi Xtreme Audio

Ok, so here's my situation:

Ive got an x-fi xtreme audio (PCI, the crappiest version) with a home theater surround sound system without a subwoofer, but instead my FR+FL are full range speakers each with a single 12 inch subwoofer. Fine yes?

I configured my amplifier to send the subwoofer signal to my front left and front right speakers.

When Im watching DVD's I use the Passthrough (SPDIF) and my amplifier decodes the signal, and I get a nice strong bass. (actually a bit too much but i like it).

But, here's the issue: My sound card does not support DTS connect Or Dolby Digital Live, so I use the analog connectors when im playing video games. Here's my problem. I cannot configure my sound card to use my system as a 5.0 system and for some reason even though i configured my amplifier to do so, it does not reroute the subwoofer signal. As a result, when im playing games or listening to music using CSMM-3D Stereo Surround (awesomest function ever) I get no Bass.

Ive narrowed down to 3 solutions:
2 impossible solutions:
- Configure sound card to use system as a 5.0, but i've tried this many times without succes. in fact I can only choose how many speakers i have, and it skips number 5. :pfff:
- Software which implements Dolby Digital Live, but thats too much hassle and my CPU gets loaded, which i dont want.

The one possible solution i have thought of is that i buy a new sound card which does support DTS connect or DD Live.

Do you have any advice on any solutions, whether it is using software, or if i should be buying a new soundcard, which should i get?

Thank you in advance, Niels

EDIT: When I select Digital output only and i am using any source other than DTS or DD, I only get 2 channel audio, with bass though, but this is still no good because the whole point of surround sound is so that it makes gaming awesomer (and yes i know that that is not a proper word)
4 answers Last reply
More about problem xtreme audio
  1. Well, if you can only use PCI, the best options are the Auzentech Prelude and Asus Xonar D2.

If you have access to PCI-E, then go Auzentech Forte and Asus Xonar DX.
  2. Nice sound cards, and definetely what I want, but, is there any chance at something cheaper?

oh, and thanks for not mentioning creative. Drivers and my current sound card have been a pain in my a*s

Moresay with win7 though. Worse, the newer drivers actually make the sound worse, it gets all crackly, so I use my old drivers in win7, which aren't actually entirely compatible with eachother.
  3. ^^ Only Creative fanboys like Creative.

The ASUS Xonar DX can be found for around $80 or so, and theres only a few decent cards at a lower price point (ASUS Xonar D1, HT Omega Striker).

I should note, you're 5.0 case is a unique one...I know you can disable the sub via the Windows Control Panel, but don't know about re-routing it...you probably would want to ask around before committing on a card, just in case...
  4. As long as the output is Dobly Digital ALL the time, (when playing games n everything, literally always) Any sound card will do, since my amplifier then works correctly.

I only get this problem when im using analog surround sound, which I kind of use All the time except with DVD's.

BTW, I have configured no sub and FR+FL as full range in windows control panel but it doesn't help at all. No change in sound at all. Useless function
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Audio Components