upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Alright, I know this is probably a noob questions, but I searched and couldn't find any info. I have built a few water Cooling systems but this is my first one and I've never really considered this problem before..

I am using a Swiftech MCP655 water pump in my water loop which is rated at max 60C, I am running two Koolance 1300watt (Brass and copper) quad 120mm Radiators, and two GTX 480's in my loop. My temps have only hit 60C once on one graphics card, but that happened when I was testing with Furmark. Normally my cards max around 55C when gaming. I want to overclock my cards, but don't know if I should because of the pumps max rating. I could possibly add 4 more fans, as I only have fans on one of my radiators, just don't have the money for a couple of weeks to buy them.

I realize that the temp of the GPU is not the Temp of the water or the pump, but I don't have a thermal probe or any way to test the water right now. I was wondering if anyone with experience who maybe has tested the differences between gpu and water temp, if in your opinion if I would be safe overclocking, or should I wait till I get some more fans? Any idea what kind of difference there would be in temps?

Solution
you've got plenty of room to overclock, I'd still slap on some more fans though.

Not sure about the turkey probe, never done it before.... get some ice cold water, stick the probe in... the water should be a few degree's above 0C, if it is you know its accurate (if its not you shouldn't be using it to test if yiur turkey is ready:p ) and that it works in water...

Do you not have any fans on the first 480 Rad?

Your water temp is probably in the low 30's (C). My guess is based on my own experience and other peoples work logs.

Do you have any reason to suggest your pump is overheating? I very much doubt that it is due to the fact your loop isnt very restrictive and your pump is more than enough.

My temps are a fair bit better than yours. ive got a Core i7 920 @ 4.35Ghz + 2 x GTX570's overclocked in the same loop with 2 x 360 Rads. my cards hit 45C in Metro2033 and my CPU roughly 65C. The only reason I can think of is that you don't seem to have any fans on the first rad and that the rad's are right up against the side of your case.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Oh, no sorry, I don't think it's overheating, pump is working fine, just I want to overclock it and didn't want to push the pump over it's max temp. Wasn't sure how much room I have.
I have 4 fans on the bottom radiator (Single loop). Both radiators have 1/4" spaces on them, i tested the cooling ability when I originally built it by turning off the fans, and the temps shot up real fast, so with the 4 fans it keeps the cards in range. Someone suggested putting 1/2" spacers on there before which I thought about doing, but my temps seem ok compared to other systems with gtx 480's on them, So I thought i'll just add 4 more fans if I need them, and as a last resort I could add longer spacers.

Thanks for your quick response. So your saying the water should about be 20C lower then the gpu's temps?

Appreciate your help.. :D

Wish I had a temp probe I could just drop in the water and test it. You think I could use one of those cooking temp probes for sticking in the turkeys? Don't know how accurate they are.

Thanks again.

you've got plenty of room to overclock, I'd still slap on some more fans though.

Not sure about the turkey probe, never done it before.... get some ice cold water, stick the probe in... the water should be a few degree's above 0C, if it is you know its accurate (if its not you shouldn't be using it to test if yiur turkey is ready:p ) and that it works in water...

Solution

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Sweet!! Thanks man, Great Idea with the ice, never thought of that. Gonna try that. :D

Yeah, think i'm gonna get more fans. If I do i'll repost it with the pics and temps. Probably just buy all new matching ones.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Looks like my setup, only I am running dual MCR320's.

You've got plenty of rad on-hand. Might consider putting some fans on that second rad...you'd get better temps. That being said, you have no issues with your water temps being that hot. Your hardware temp monitoring reports the temps at the IHS of the GPU or CPU in question, which doesn't necessarily correlate into actual water temps. Now, if you had a loop that was under-radded and you ran it 24/7 at 100%, you could possibly see your actual water temps rise to close to those temps.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Yeah thats what i was thinkin just wasnt sure. I wonder if anyone makes a inline temp guage?