Should I buy Vertex 3 120 GB or RevoDrive 120 GB?

Since your motherboard is equipped with SATA III (6 Gb/s) ports I recommend waiting until the final production version of the OCZ Vertex 3 is available. I don't have an exact release date yet. In the meantime I think the brand new Crucial C400 ssd's will be released sometime around the 21st of March. Intel will be releasing their brand new 320 series ssd's. All of the new drives will be SATA III (6 Gb/s), 25 nm Nand, ssd's.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I found three shops in Finland that list Vertex 3, and called each of them and they all said they will have the first batch in 1st April. I could pre-order it now for around 289€.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
just get the revodrivex2 if you can....if you have an empty x4 pcie slot....you will love it....plus the 4x pice it's a lot larger than Sata III
I have a 256gb revodrive x2 and love it....read 700+mbs read650+mbs
some people say that it's hard to configure and that it does not show up under bios....never had such issues, maybe they were doing something wrong :)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i messed up the post, lol

just get the revodrivex2 if you can....if you have an empty x4 pcie slot....you will love it....plus the 4x pcie's bandwidth it's a lot larger than Sata III
I have a 256gb revodrive x2 and love it....read 700+mbs write 650+mbs
some people say that it's hard to configure and that it does not show up under bios....never had such issues, maybe they were doing something wrong :)
man i can't type, it's still morning :)

CannibalTribe

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
There is one problem about RevoDrive since it uses PCI-E. Despite your MB has 3x PCI-Ex16, two of them share bandwith with each other, so discrete video card takes away most of it, and the 3rd shares bandwith with USB 3.0, eSATA (and maybe something else, go to ASUS website for more info) so if you want to use this slot in x4 mode this interfaces probably wouldn't work.
That's why I wait for vertex 3 instead of buying RevoDrive x2 right now. Going to buy a pair and make RAID0.

Upd: Forgot to mention that Vertex 3 supports TRIM unlike RevoDrive.

From Anand over at AnandTech:

"for those of you who are wondering, there are big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240, more in 24 hours!"

He got an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ssd. He wanted to compare it to the OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB demo model OCZ sent out for all those preliminary reviews two months ago. In addition he "might" have some additional information about the flash memory OCZ is using - maybe.