Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1 Sim day equals what?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game. A pregnancy takes
three days, so one would think 1 Sim day = 3 human months. But, no,
children are children for 8 days before they become a teen. Ok, grade
school lasts for about 8 years for humans, so maybe 1 Sim day = 1 human
year.

No, because teens are teens for 15 days.

Wait a minute.....

Babies for 3 days
Toddlers for 4 days
Children for 8 days
Teens for 15 days
Young Adults (at University) for 24 days
Adults for 29 days
Elders for 9 to 31 days (according to the Primo Guide)

Elders ages show up by how many "days" old they are and most of mine live to
be about 80, which again seems to mean 1 Sim Day = 1 human year.

I go into all of this because I'd like my neighborhood to "age" at roughly
the same rate, whether I've played the houses or not. This is especially
true of the home folks after the kidlets have come home from University.
Shouldn't they be proportionately older, too? I usually use Merola's
Multi-Painting to age the parents by at least four days immediately upon the
kids' return.

Does that seem right, though?

Jeanie -- confused

More about : sim day equals

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:00:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game. A pregnancy takes
>three days, so one would think 1 Sim day = 3 human months. But, no,
>children are children for 8 days before they become a teen. Ok, grade
>school lasts for about 8 years for humans, so maybe 1 Sim day = 1 human
>year.

I don't think there is a scale that is constant across age stages.
I'm thinking they set up the times in the age stages in terms of play
goals for each stage, not to have a realistic proportion of Sim days
to human days/months/years.

Three days for a pregnancy allows for a pregnancy stage and puts some
constraints on the Sim for that time, but there aren't really goals
(that I know of--I've only played one pregnancy), so it would be
pointless to stretch it out very long. Baby stage has certain
challenges, toddlerhood has certain other challenges, etc. Although
this is set up as a life simulator, it is also set up as a game.

BW
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:14:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game.

There is no scale, it takes a sim an hour to get from one side of a large
lot to the other, then takes them less than a minute to get changed. They
can be in the bath for 6 hours! Don't bother working out any scale because
there isn't one.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:55:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:

> Jeanie -- confused

The thing that gets me about the game is how all clothing costs the
same. Which translates to some cheap dressy goods, and $200 T-shirts!!

--
--Cuth
June 2, 2005 2:10:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

>
> I don't think there is a scale that is constant across age stages.

Maybe it's like a cat.... my two year old cat is equivalent to 25 human
years old, but my (late) 8 year old cat was 50 human years old.... maybe
sims age like that?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:26:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game. A pregnancy takes
>>three days, so one would think 1 Sim day = 3 human months. But, no,
>>children are children for 8 days before they become a teen. Ok, grade
>>school lasts for about 8 years for humans, so maybe 1 Sim day = 1 human
>>year.
>
>
> I don't think there is a scale that is constant across age stages.

Just like there isn't a scale for money, either.

Maid service is remarkably cheap, taxi rides are free, but pizza and
T-shirts are extremely expensive.


--
--Cuth
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:44:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game. A pregnancy takes
>three days, so one would think 1 Sim day = 3 human months. But, no,
>children are children for 8 days before they become a teen. Ok, grade
>school lasts for about 8 years for humans, so maybe 1 Sim day = 1 human
>year.
>
>No, because teens are teens for 15 days.

It's like Will said, there is no real scale. But if you exclude
University, it starts making more sense. And I've noticed that when
sims die they're usually in their 60's-80's in terms of days lived,
depending on health etc.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:37:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game. A pregnancy
>> takes three days, so one would think 1 Sim day = 3 human months.
>> But, no, children are children for 8 days before they become a teen.
>> Ok, grade school lasts for about 8 years for humans, so maybe 1 Sim
>> day = 1 human year.
>>
>> No, because teens are teens for 15 days.
>
> It's like Will said, there is no real scale. But if you exclude
> University, it starts making more sense. And I've noticed that when
> sims die they're usually in their 60's-80's in terms of days lived,
> depending on health etc.

Yes, that's what makes me think that 1 sim day = 1 year.

Maybe college only SEEMS 24 years long. <g>

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:
> Yes, that's what makes me think that 1 sim day = 1 year.

Maybe 1 sim day is about 1 year when it comes to ageing, but as i said
earlier, if it takes an hour to get from one side of a lot to the other it
takes 1/24 of a year ie over 15 days. Therefore there isn't one scale, but
there a hundreds, one for each activity, and one for time its self as they
all take different amounts of times compared to the amount of time that they
should take.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:16:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

qualche duno parle italiano
"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:L1mne.7628$rf4.525@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> Jeanie wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out the time scale in this game.
>
> There is no scale, it takes a sim an hour to get from one side of a large
> lot to the other, then takes them less than a minute to get changed. They
> can be in the bath for 6 hours! Don't bother working out any scale
because
> there isn't one.
>
>
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:30:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Erice wrote:
> qualche duno parle italiano

No hablo italiano pero hablo un poco español. Pienso que italano es commo
español. Por lo tanto, hablas español? También, hablo frances más que
español. If you don't speak spanish that was a waste of time so:

I don't speak italian but I do speak a bit of spanish which I think is like
italian, so do you speak spanish? I also speak French better than spanish
if that will help. I can't be bothered to write that in french so if you
don't speak English or Spanish oh well.

BTW, google couldn't translate 'duno' so I'm not exactly sure what you said
in the first place.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:45:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> Erice wrote:
>
>>qualche duno parle italiano
>
>
> No hablo italiano pero hablo un poco español. Pienso que italano es commo
> español. Por lo tanto, hablas español? También, hablo frances más que
> español. If you don't speak spanish that was a waste of time so:
>
> I don't speak italian but I do speak a bit of spanish which I think is like
> italian, so do you speak spanish? I also speak French better than spanish
> if that will help. I can't be bothered to write that in french so if you
> don't speak English or Spanish oh well.
>
> BTW, google couldn't translate 'duno' so I'm not exactly sure what you said
> in the first place.
>
>

From the syntax, it's some variant of "you".

-georg
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> From the syntax, it's some variant of "you".

Do you mean the 'you' part of a verb or the pronown?

If the latter: 'some you speak italian' therefore possibly meaning 'does
anyone here speak italian?'
June 3, 2005 11:08:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"georg" scrisse ...
> Will Bradshaw wrote:
> > Erice wrote:
> >>qualche duno parle italiano
> > No hablo italiano pero hablo un poco español. Pienso que italano es
commo
> > español. Por lo tanto, hablas español? También, hablo frances más que
> > español. If you don't speak spanish that was a waste of time so:
> >
> > I don't speak italian but I do speak a bit of spanish which I think is
like
> > italian, so do you speak spanish? I also speak French better than
spanish
> > if that will help. I can't be bothered to write that in french so if
you
> > don't speak English or Spanish oh well.
> >
> > BTW, google couldn't translate 'duno' so I'm not exactly sure what you
said
> > in the first place.
> From the syntax, it's some variant of "you".

With 'qualche duno' he asked if 'someone' speak italian ... you may find it
if you search 'qualcuno'.

Bye By
Kyla Skydragon

P.S. : I read that the expansion pack nightlife is exiting on autumn ... did
I read something wrong ? There's an official release date yet ? I checked on
thesims2.com, but I didn't find anything ....
June 5, 2005 11:10:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Living in Simsworld different timezone ;) 
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:53:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 07:10:19 GMT, "Wesley" <Wesley@kissnation.com.de>
wrote:

>Living in Simsworld different timezone ;) 

LOL, most definately :-)
!