Sign in with
Your question

Please help..Computer won't boot up now!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 17, 2009 10:35:08 AM

Hello, have been having this problem for a bout 6 months. Whenever I lose power to my computer I have problems turning it back on. This could be when I power down the computer and unplug it from the wall, or like happened last night the power in my house went how. If I lose power once it comes back on, I try and turn he computer on it looks like it starts to boot, all the fans start the keyboard lights come on, the monitor won't come on, then I get 1 long beep followed by 4 shorter beeps and then the compouter shuts down. The LED light starts at 0,2 then when I hit the power button then to 8.3 then 8.b ot 8.6 not sure which one then it goes to 9.c. When it gets to 9.c that is when I hear the beeps and it shuts down. Right as it shuts down it looks like it says F. something for a 10th of second not sure. I have a an Antec 550W power supply

In the past when this happened I would mees with the power switch on the power supply and holding down the power button. For example, I would hold the power button down turn off the power switch, let then power button go and the fan wold go on for a split second. I would then flip the power switch back to on and hit the power switch and the computer would go on. After trying different "tricks" I could get the computer to boot up. Now I can't. Just so you know, once I get the computer to boot up it works fine and as long as there is power to the computer it will boot up, even if I shut down the computer. I only get this isser if I lose power to the computer. Can you offer any help or advice? This only started happeneding about 6-8 months ago.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer?

Andrew

More about : computer boot

December 17, 2009 10:44:58 AM

bucsfan811 said:
Hello, have been having this problem for a bout 6 months. Whenever I lose power to my computer I have problems turning it back on. This could be when I power down the computer and unplug it from the wall, or like happened last night the power in my house went how. If I lose power once it comes back on, I try and turn he computer on it starts to boot, all the fans start the keyboard lights come on, then I get 1 long beep followed by 4 shorter beeps and then the compouter shuts down. The LED light starts at 0,2 then when I hit the power button then to 8.3 then 8.b ot 8.6 not sure which one then it goes to 9.c. When it gets to 9.c that is when I hear the beeps and it shuts down. Right as it shuts down it looks like it says F. something for a 10th of second not sure. I have a an Antec 550W power supply

In the past when this happened I would mees with the power switch on the power supply and holding down the power button. For example, I would hold the power button down turn off the power switch, let then power button go and the fan wold go on for a split second. I would then flip the power switch back to on and hit the power switch and the computer would go on. After trying different "tricks" I could get the computer to boot up. Now I can't. Just so you know, once I get the computer to boot up it works fine and as long as there is power to the computer it will boot up, even if I shut down the computer. I only get this isser if I lose power to the computer. Can you offer any help or advice? This only started happeneding about 6-8 months ago.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer?

Andrew

Sorry the motherboard is Abit AV8
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2009 3:53:07 PM

I live in florida too, the power interruptions usually lightning related are bad news. You have to have a functional surge protector, better yet a Uninteruptable backup power supply or UPS. You only need one that will hold power for 5 to 10 minutes so that you can shut down the system if the outage is longer than 5 seconds which is not uncommon.
As for your problem until someone responds with knowledge of your specific board go to manufacturers website and download manual so you can identify error codes. In the interim you can unplug everything including video card and onboard battery then reverse the process and see if you get lucky.
!