Sign in with
Your question

Switching RAID from one motherboard to another (similar chipset)

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2011 8:18:15 PM

I currently have one Raid 1 array on my P5W DH Deluxe motherboard, running on the Silicon Image 4723 chipset. The software it uses is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I'm upgrading to an Asus P8P67 Pro. This board states it also has Intel Rapid Storage Technology support.

Will it be easy to migrate the Raid array? I've heard I may need to wipe one of the drives and rebuild the array from one of them. Will this be the case since they are the same/similar chipsets, and if so what is the best way to go about it?
March 16, 2011 3:39:25 AM

Just an FYI -

I switched from an Asus P5W DH Deluxe to an Asus P8P67 Pro, both utilizing Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

After upgrading to the new board, my Raid 1 array was EXACTLY as I had left it without touching a single thing. Same array name, still linked, and all files in tact. I could not believe it. Perfect transition.
December 1, 2011 12:02:42 PM

You've just partially answered a question I came here to ask but my situation is slightly more complicated.

I'm hoping to move 4 HD's from a RAID 5 on a P6X58D-E (ICH10R) to a RAID 5 on a P8P67 PRO. It all uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I would like to know if, even if I plug the drives into different SATA ports on the new mobo, the array will all be intact when I install Windows. The way the prices have gone recently with mechanical drives after the Thai floods there's no way I can afford the drives to do a proper backup and you made it sound so simple. I just think that 4 drives in a RAID 5 (they are arranged in a specific order in the array) will be more troublesome than a RAID 1 or 0.

Anybody have experience of this? Thanks!
!