Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good motherboard for AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 25, 2009 8:54:47 PM

I want to buy an Athlon II X4 620.
I need some options for the motherboard.

Thanks in advance.
September 25, 2009 8:56:22 PM

I will buy from newegg.
m
0
l
September 25, 2009 9:26:14 PM

I prefer ASUS, and Gigabyte and I have a kit of 2 X 2 GB of Crucial DDR2 800.
I would like to keep them, but if I have to buy DDR3 is OK too.

Any suggestions?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 25, 2009 9:28:57 PM

i would say the ga-ma785gmt-ud2h im getting myself this one its a nice mobo..if you live in ontario..let me know i'll tell u where u can get it from..only costs 94.99

this mobo is a micro-atx..if u dont want this i'll giev u another choice
m
0
l
September 25, 2009 9:33:39 PM

lonewlf said:
i would say the ga-ma785gmt-ud2h im getting myself this one its a nice mobo..if you live in ontario..let me know i'll tell u where u can get it from..only costs 94.99


I live in Mexico, but only a bridge separates my City from the US, so I can get it at US prices, but thanks for the offer.

I have a question, why do you like this motherboard over all the others?

I'm not questioning your suggestion, I just want to know why did you like it so I can see if it will work for me also.

Thanks in advance lonewlf!
m
0
l
September 25, 2009 9:37:36 PM

well its a new motherboard came out 1-2 months ago..it supports am3 cpus and ddr3, built in ati 4200 hd its just what im getting in the next few days.. heres my new system build im getting in the nxt week

amd phenom II X3 720 2.8ghz
gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h
4GB DDR3
xfx ati 4850 1GB

but i dont know if this motherboard supports ddr 2 u might want to wait for someone else to post
m
0
l
September 25, 2009 9:44:58 PM

lonewlf said:
well its a new motherboard came out 1-2 months ago..it supports am3 cpus and ddr3, built in ati 4200 hd its just what im getting in the next few days.. heres my new system build im getting in the nxt week

amd phenom II X3 720 2.8ghz
gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h
4GB DDR3
xfx ati 4850 1GB

but i dont know if this motherboard supports ddr 2 u might want to wait for someone else to post


I don't think that it supports DDR2, but thanks, it looks good I added that mobo to my wishlist while I wait to see if somebody else has a suggestion.
m
0
l
September 25, 2009 10:00:33 PM

Some of the questions I have are:

Should I get ATX or micro ATX (I've always bought ATX in the past but it seems there are some good micro ATX boards out there)

Should I reuse my DDR2 or buy DDR3 (Is DDR3 worth the price?)

Which others option should I consider to select my motherboard.

I will not OC.

I game occasionally and my monitor is a Samsung 1080p 40" TV so HDMI would be good but I don't mind buying a video card for it, if the motherboard doesn't have it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2009 10:07:00 PM

I would choose a similar board but this one that used DDR2 RAM instead.Why because DDR2 is much less expensive than DDR3 and you are using a budget CPU so you obviously want to save money.
Perhaps this RAM which is fairly inexpensive.
Edit if you already have spare DDR2 RAM then ignore this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The motherboard is less expensive as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2009 10:45:31 PM

Stick with the DDR2 you have. AMD chipsets compatibility befuddle me right now, so its probably best to be safe with the newer chip sets. JJ463rd's suggestion looks good, too bad the full ATX version doesn't have free shipping.

The HD4200 probably can hack WoW alright, but not much else.

If you want to slum it here's an ECS for about 1/2 the cost of the Gigabyte. I've had reasonably good experiences with their products lately.

m
0
l
September 26, 2009 8:43:48 AM

Previous posters have mentioned getting a motherboard with the 785G chipset, and this is definitely the way forward if you want to run your PC off your HDTV. Choose one from Asus, because their products are solid and reliable, and very well-priced, and take the DDR2-compatible one so you can re-use your RAM. DDR2 is still going to be good for another two years or so, meaning you can wait until DDR3 becomes really cheap and when AMD and Intel manage to utilize it properly, instead of relegating benefits only to those using a Core i7.

The HD4200 integrated graphics on the 785G chipset is good enough for most new games on very low settings, and if you need more power, just chuck in an ATI HD4670 and have some fun on your massive monitor.
m
0
l
September 26, 2009 1:05:21 PM


I would suggest to go for Gigabyte's GA-MA785G-UD3H. Its an ATX mainboard. It supports DDR2 RAM, has solid capacitors and only costs $89.99 at newegg. To know more about the mobo follow the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a Phenom II X4 940 system with MSI DKA790GX Platinum mobo, 4 GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD4850. I am also planning to buy AMD Athlon II X4 630/620 with GA-MA785G-UD3H mobo to implement Virtualization. To me Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H is the best buy.
m
0
l
September 27, 2009 11:38:13 PM

jj463rd said:
I would choose a similar board but this one that used DDR2 RAM instead.Why because DDR2 is much less expensive than DDR3 and you are using a budget CPU so you obviously want to save money.
Perhaps this RAM which is fairly inexpensive.
Edit if you already have spare DDR2 RAM then ignore this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The motherboard is less expensive as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I have a Kit of 2 x 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM, I'm going to keep it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
m
0
l
September 27, 2009 11:41:40 PM

Stardude82 said:
Stick with the DDR2 you have. AMD chipsets compatibility befuddle me right now, so its probably best to be safe with the newer chip sets. JJ463rd's suggestion looks good, too bad the full ATX version doesn't have free shipping.

The HD4200 probably can hack WoW alright, but not much else.

If you want to slum it here's an ECS for about 1/2 the cost of the Gigabyte. I've had reasonably good experiences with their products lately.


Thanks for your suggestions, I will keep my RAM, and about the ECS motherboard, I think I'll stick with ASUS or Gigabyte, I've had good mobos from those two brands
m
0
l
September 27, 2009 11:57:20 PM

Snow_Patrol said:
Previous posters have mentioned getting a motherboard with the 785G chipset, and this is definitely the way forward if you want to run your PC off your HDTV. Choose one from Asus, because their products are solid and reliable, and very well-priced, and take the DDR2-compatible one so you can re-use your RAM. DDR2 is still going to be good for another two years or so, meaning you can wait until DDR3 becomes really cheap and when AMD and Intel manage to utilize it properly, instead of relegating benefits only to those using a Core i7.

The HD4200 integrated graphics on the 785G chipset is good enough for most new games on very low settings, and if you need more power, just chuck in an ATI HD4670 and have some fun on your massive monitor.


Do you have a suggestion of a good mobo that uses the 785G chipset?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 2:00:26 AM

Here is the ASUS 785g board that uses DDR2 memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way enayet_redeamer showed you another good board as well.


Both the Gigabyte boards need a 8 pin (or 4+4 pin) CPU (EPS) connector as well for the power supply so be careful on getting the right type of power supply that has this.
The ASUS board just has one 4 pin CPU EPS connector from pictures that I see here.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ef0qgvMIwOUagAVl&...
Share
September 28, 2009 4:42:09 AM

jj463rd said:
Here is the ASUS 785g board that uses DDR2 memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way enayet_redeamer showed you another good board as well.


Both the Gigabyte boards need a 8 pin (or 4+4 pin) CPU (EPS) connector as well for the power supply so be careful on getting the right type of power supply that has this.
The ASUS board just has one 4 pin CPU EPS connector from pictures that I see here.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ef0qgvMIwOUagAVl&...


What about this board?
Will this board need a new power supply?
My current power supply has only the 4 pin connector.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 5:10:46 AM

dunklegend said:
What about this board?
Will this board need a new power supply?
My current power supply has only the 4 pin connector.

That motherboard unfortunately uses DDR3 memory so you don't want that one rather if you already have a 4 pin CPU connector on a power supply that you intend to use you will want the ASUS motherboard that I picked because it uses DDR2 memory and needs the 4 pin CPU connector from your power supply.
So the gigabyte boards you won't want either because they need 2 (4+4) CPU EPS or 1 -8 pin connector.

Strange isn't it.That's one of the complaints about these motherboards you have to be careful about the type of power supply that you have.
Otherwise you will say $hit and have to get the right power supply.

A great deal here on a Phenom II X2 550 BE and a Gigabyte 785g motherboard till 9/30/09.Only problem with it is that it needs 2 (4+4) or 1-8 Pin CPU EPS connector on the power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

or this one too with the Phenom II X2 545

.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
September 28, 2009 5:18:19 AM

jj463rd said:
That motherboard unfortunately uses DDR3 memory so you don't want that one rather if you already have a 4 pin CPU connector on a power supply that you intend to use you will want the ASUS motherboard that I picked because it uses DDR2 memory and needs the 4 pin CPU connector from your power supply.
So the gigabyte boards you won't want either because they need 2 (4+4) CPU EPS or 1 -8 pin connector.


This one is an ATX board has DDR2 and needs only a 4pin connector, what do you think about it.
What's the difference between the 780 and 785 chipsets?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 5:35:52 AM

That one looks good too but its an ATX board that fits in a bigger case.
I would go with the newer 785g version though.
The difference is that the 780G boards use the Radeon 3200 IGP's and have the earlier 700 South Bridge chipset and the 785 G boards use the Radeon 4200 IGP's and have the 710 South Bridge chipset.
m
0
l
September 28, 2009 3:13:34 PM

jj463rd said:
That one looks good too but its an ATX board that fits in a bigger case.
I would go with the newer 785g version though.
The difference is that the 780G boards use the Radeon 3200 IGP's and have the earlier 700 South Bridge chipset and the 785 G boards use the Radeon 4200 IGP's and have the 710 South Bridge chipset.


I think I'll get the 785G version then.

Thanks again.
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 12:48:07 PM

alexy said:
I want to buy MSI 785GTM-E45 and seems to be a good deal, any suggustion?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


The boards that were suggested to me seem like a better choice, and they're only $10 more.

The gigabyte boards, are more reliable than the comparable MSI choices.
m
0
l
!