Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 Won't Overclock after adding a second GPU

Last response: in Overclocking
June 19, 2011 9:23:08 PM

Hello,

I recently added a second GTX 260 to my system and now have two running in SLI.

Before installation of the new GPU I had my I7 920 D0 running at 3.6 ghz. I've been using this overclock for 2 years now without a hiccup.

After installing the second GPU, my BIOS settings all reverted to default (no idea why). I then tried to overclock my CPU again and it won't even do a very small overclock anymore. My bio's logo screen looks all messed up and it usually freezes if it boots at all, that's on an overclock to 2.7 from 2.66. Been tinkering for hours now and I'm at a loss.

Anyone know what this tends to indicate? Am I pushing my 850watt PSU to its limits?

Thanks in advance.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2011 2:29:29 AM

What kind of 850 watt PSU do you have?
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:34:03 AM

Its the antec cp-850.

Other specs:

Antec 1200 case with 8 fans

2 X wd caviar black 500gig HD's

2 X 300 gb vraptors

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 107 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2011 2:37:23 AM

For a system using two GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA recommends a power supply with 650 Watts or greater with a minimum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 51 Amps and with at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Antec CP Series CP-850 power supply unit with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 64 Amps is more than sufficient to power your system with two GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

Do the graphics cards function properly on their own when you install them only one at a time?
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:24:46 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using two GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA recommends a power supply with 650 Watts or greater with a minimum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 51 Amps and with at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Antec CP Series CP-850 power supply unit with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 64 Amps is more than sufficient to power your system with two GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

Do the graphics cards function properly on their own when you install them only one at a time?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

One GPU certainly works fine by itself, and with the overclock.

The other I haven't tried completely alone, but the two cards together work fine individually and in SLI without the overclock on the CPU.

I will give the one card a shot by itself and try to overclock my CPU, in addition I happened to get an OCZ 1000watt the other day so I may give that a shot at some point.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don't understand how the GPU(s) could affect how the CPU can overclock.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2011 3:27:19 AM

I hope the i7-920 OC was done in the BIOS, and not with Nvidia's 'ELEET'.
m
l
!